Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Parking Lot

Old 03-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #46
over the mountain
Playmaker

Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

cpayne, i gotta agree with everyone else on this. there is just no way you can say there is a 0% chance of a dog attack if trained properly.

nothing in life is so absolute. i will say that there are different ways dogs act when they are in an alarmed/agressive state.

some dogs will bark

some dogs will bark and snarl

some dogs will bark, snarl and bite

some dogs will bark, snarl, bite and not stop biting. these are the killers, these are the dogs that just lose it once they are provoked or think they are provoked. most dogs, if they bite a human that is it but some dogs just dont stop once they start and thats how people get killed.

thats why vick was teaching those dogs killer instinct by putting poodles and labs in rings. for the pits that didnt have killer instinct, they would train it to kill.

Advertisements
Old 03-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #47
FRPLG
MVP

cpayne I do agree this is the parent's fault in every way imaginable. I also think that dogs euthanized for biting is crap. I believe this because dogs, as well as other animals like say tigers and killer whales, all have a certain degree of wildness in them, domesticated or not. Their actions are predictable. I can predict that the best trained Rotty in the world still could go "Rotty" and eat someone's face off just like a Lab could. The issue is that a Rotty is more likely to do it in my opinion. It is simply not as clear cut as you make it. For the record, I have dogs and kids and have never seen either dog so much as turn a crooked eye towards my kids. I still never leave them together alone though.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #48
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Parents should be charged with manslaughter.
Come on. They have lost a child isn't that enough punishment and to think they have to live knowing their actions lead to the childs death.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #49
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
If I had kids, I just wouldn't risk having them around dogs like that.
especially in the same yard and apparently unsupervised
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #50
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Come on. They have lost a child isn't that enough punishment and to think they have to live knowing their actions lead to the childs death.
Quote:
The attack happened four months after officers had taken a Rottweiler from the same home after it bit an adult family member. The two Rottweilers at the Browning home have been quarantined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG
I still never leave them together alone though.
I would imagine leaving a child with a dog that bit an adult is a big NO NO. I don't see how leaving their child unattended with a vicious dog is different than driving drunk with a child in the back seat. Lock them up I say.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #51
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
cpayne, i gotta agree with everyone else on this. there is just no way you can say there is a 0% chance of a dog attack if trained properly.

nothing in life is so absolute. i will say that there are different ways dogs act when they are in an alarmed/agressive state.

some dogs will bark

some dogs will bark and snarl

some dogs will bark, snarl and bite

some dogs will bark, snarl, bite and not stop biting. these are the killers, these are the dogs that just lose it once they are provoked or think they are provoked. most dogs, if they bite a human that is it but some dogs just dont stop once they start and thats how people get killed.

thats why vick was teaching those dogs killer instinct by putting poodles and labs in rings. for the pits that didnt have killer instinct, they would train it to kill.
Well, people are looking past what I said. The supervision part is key. I'm not saying a properly raised dog won't bite. Just about every dog has a tipping point. What I'm saying, is that you can tell when a dog is being provoked, or when the dog doesn't like something that's going on. Dogs don't snap, they lead up to aggressive behavior. Stop it when it starts, and you certainly can ensure a 0% chance of having something like this happen.

Check out this video of the Vick killers...
Meet the Rescued Michael Vick Pit Bull Dogs Now

PETA wanted these dogs put to death. Yes, that PETA.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #52
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Tragic story. Wanted to clarify though, this was not the same dog that had attacked someone else, and the child and the dog were separated by a fence(at least as the parents thought)

Quote:
"She had a little toy rake. She must have been raking little mole hills," he said. "D'ette went out to check on her and she was just laying there bleeding. The female rottweiler was standing there."

Jay Browning said D'ette and Jesse liked big dogs.They had gotten rid of an aggressive male rottweiler "a long time ago" and retained a male Labrador retriever and a male and female rottweiler.

He said the dogs were kept in a fenced backyard and it's unclear how one of them had gotten into the front yard.
a long time ago = 4months according to other stories.

Regardless, a little girl lost her life, and a lot of people lost her presence in their life
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #53
djnemo65
Playmaker

I don't know why everything has to devolve into a blamefest, one camp blaming the parents, one camp blaming the breed, others blaming both. Why can't something just be a tragedy? Rottweilers are in fact known as a relatively docile breed, albeit one with tremendous strength. This one blew its top for reasons we aren't privy too - that doesn't mean it's not safe to have dogs or this breed specifically around kids, and it doesn't even necessarily mean the animal wasn't raised properly (although perhaps it wasn't, who knows). Statistically speaking, the risk of a dog attacking a child is so minuscule that owning one can't be construed as dangerous...the point being that it's not fair to attack these parents as at fault, at least without substantially more information.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #54
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Tough times for the guys at Original Productions, first the death on Deadliest Catch and now this. They're all a-holes anyway, but still...
Old 03-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #55
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Tough times for the guys at Original Productions, first the death on Deadliest Catch and now this. They're all a-holes anyway, but still...
SS drops a bomb. A-holes? That's the piligian crew doing those shows right?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #56
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
I don't know why everything has to devolve into a blamefest, one camp blaming the parents, one camp blaming the breed, others blaming both. Why can't something just be a tragedy? Rottweilers are in fact known as a relatively docile breed, albeit one with tremendous strength. This one blew its top for reasons we aren't privy too - that doesn't mean it's not safe to have dogs or this breed specifically around kids, and it doesn't even necessarily mean the animal wasn't raised properly (although perhaps it wasn't, who knows). Statistically speaking, the risk of a dog attacking a child is so minuscule that owning one can't be construed as dangerous...the point being that it's not fair to attack these parents as at fault, at least without substantially more information.
I'll argee with this. Whne I was talking about Rots and Pits I was speaking from the stand point that I would not have one in my home. I don't have problem with people who choose to but its a risk they take. I'm sure I take risk all the time that others would not take.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #57
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
SS drops a bomb. A-holes? That's the piligian crew doing those shows right?
I won't name names but I was in a fantasy football league with a bunch of these guys one year and it was just an awful experience. Total dickwads took all the fun out of it. Then I was going to do some business with them, and they again were completely unprofessional, total dicks. I mean you deal with all sorts of people and you put up with it. But not them, I will never do business with them. Ever. I don't want to get into specifics but the way they treated people was truly disgusting
Old 03-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #58
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Not to change the subject, but in talking about A-holes, how could one not name S&S Aqua logging, or Jimmy and his son, James.

He curses and yells at everyone, even his boat man, and especially his son James. In one episode his dad yelled at him, called him a mother f'er, told him he was quitting and selling the business, and then 2 seconds later opened his house door to tell James to come in and get something to eat lol, and that he loved him.

And the funny thing is, his son looks like he'd be more comfortable at a video game convention than out working with his dad, but i know all too well the pressures of trying to succeed in a family business..
Old 03-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #59
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Not to change the subject, but in talking about A-holes, how could one not name S&S Aqua logging, or Jimmy and his son, James.

He curses and yells at everyone, even his boat man, and especially his son James. In one episode his dad yelled at him, called him a mother f'er, told him he was quitting and selling the business, and then 2 seconds later opened his house door to tell James to come in and get something to eat lol, and that he loved him.

And the funny thing is, his son looks like he'd be more comfortable at a video game convention than out working with his dad, but i know all too well the pressures of trying to succeed in a family business..
Its called TV and without that stuff who would even watch? I'm sure they exchange words from time to time but not like they do when the TV is running. That is also a job that one mistake can kill you and others around you. Its not like me making a spelling error on a letter that I mailed to a customer.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #60
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Its called TV and without that stuff who would even watch? I'm sure they exchange words from time to time but not like they do when the TV is running. That is also a job that one mistake can kill you and others around you. Its not like me making a spelling error on a letter that I mailed to a customer.
Do you even watch the show? Are you sure you know who i am talking about? The man curses, swears, and goes off every minute that the TV is on.

Exchange words from time to time? The more i re-read your post i get the feeling that you dont know who i am talking about.