Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Will Jay's offense follow Scott's lead?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #46
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Re: Will Jay's offense follow Scott's lead?

Game situation is huge in play calling and qb play.

I would really like to see how Kirk and Robert do with a decent defense to keep the game close and keep the opposing defense honest.
DYoungJelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-16-2015, 08:12 AM   #47
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
Game situation is huge in play calling and qb play.
Game situations are indeed an aspect of play calling. Another equally if not more important aspect is obviously the playcaller's intent.

If playcalling was merely a product of game situation then there wouldn't but differences in expected pass/run ratio through the league.

I posted these earlier:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-play-calling/

^^Great article on situational playcalling (from 2013) it will be interesting if/when they come out with the numbers from last year.

Another article (posted earlier) that speaks specifically to playcaller (jay) choice:Need to Know: Should the Redskins have run more on third and short? | Rich Tandler's Real Redskins

"Looking at one or two yards to go, we see the Redskins running less often than the league as a whole. The NFL ran 57 percent of the time on third and short while Washington ran just 47 percent in those situations.

They were not very successful when they ran the ball. They ran 20 times on third and one or two and converted 12 times, a conversion rate of 60 percent. The league as a whole converts 68 percent of the time.

But, then again, they weren’t that good passing the ball with a yard or two to go. They converted 11 of 23 times, 48 percent. The league was successful passing on third and short 57 percent of the time.

So, perhaps they should have run the ball more on third and short give that they were more successful doing that. But the thing that strikes me here is that we constantly heard from Jay Gruden, Sean McVay, and others was that the Redskins poor third-down conversion rate was due to them always being in third and long. But they couldn’t get it done in the situations where they did find themselves in third and short, so it really didn’t make that much difference."
-Rich Tandler
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:35 AM   #48
30gut
Playmaker

Jay Gruden's future in Washington depends on Cousins? - NFL Videos

Despite the title their is discussion about the style of offense they feel best suites the Skins/Cousins.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #49
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Here is what Ravens coach John Harbaugh said about Jay Gruden's offense when Gruden was first hired by the Redskins:

“It’s a West Coast offense. I think the Grudens have their own patent on their own version of the West Coast offense because they built it so well. But it’s based on running the ball effectively. They’re very physical up front, and three-step, controlled passing. The ball comes out quickly and it’s really hard to get to the quarterback. It’s based on probably a quick read and the ball’s out quick."

As Harbaugh said, the offense is based on running the ball effectively behind a physical OL. That sounds to me like the kind of foundation Scot M. said he wants to build. To me, there doesn't seem to be any philosophical disconnect between Jay and his boss. The Skins just need better personnel.

I think we're getting way ahead of ourselves with some of the analysis we do here. IMO, we're only in Year 1 of a three year team building process. We are still pouring the foundation that will allow us to do what we envision doing in the future. Time will tell what kind of team we'll have become by 2017.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #50
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Jay Gruden's future in Washington depends on Cousins? - NFL Videos

Despite the title their is discussion about the style of offense they feel best suites the Skins/Cousins.
That was an excellent listen. I think everyone here should check it out.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #51
30gut
Playmaker

Miami and Rams playcalling/gameplanning match much closer the philosophy I want and I think Scott wants then the Giants.
And we're already slanted towards the pass again on 3rd and short (2 or less).

Hopefully they get back on script vs Iggles
Old 10-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #52
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Hopefully they get back on script vs Iggles
How should the offensive coaches call the game when a defense commits the players and stops our running plays?
Old 10-03-2015, 03:36 PM   #53
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
How should the offensive coaches call the game when a defense commits the players and stops our running plays?
You mean like the rams did? We did nothing against them to back them off. But we did line up with 3 TE sets to widen them out and still ran on them.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #54
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
You mean like the rams did? We did nothing against them to back them off. But we did line up with 3 TE sets to widen them out and still ran on them.
So when we can't run on a team, we should use a different formation and run on the team that we can't run on?
Old 10-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #55
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Just went back and watched the 1st half offense, starting on the 2nd half, of the Giant's game.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm completely wrong about the causation of the play calling.

Watching the game live, I had the impression that we couldn't run it.

There were a handful of 1 yard gains and a negative run play on our 5th drive but before that we ran the ball effective enough to stay balanced.

We just weren't putting up the points to stay close. Manning was throwing 4 yard pass plays and eating up a ton of clock and we were kicking field goals.

They were putting points on the scoreboard at a faster rate than we were.

I believe that contributed to the play calling more than anything.

Last edited by DYoungJelly; 10-03-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:18 AM   #56
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

That and penalties. However it happens the Skins have to reduce the self inflicted long down and distance plays if they want to win more games than last season.

Sent from my S6 Edge
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote