Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

ESPN: Why did Steve Spurrier fail in NFL?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #46
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: ESPN: Why did Steve Spurrier fail in NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I never heard stories of his dad pulling strings. I think blaming anything on his father would be a mistake considering Dan owned the team. If his dad really was making the calls then that means Danny Boy was more incompetent than I thought. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Snyder's dad was in charge, Dan is after all little fcking weasel.

Remember kids, people don't change...they just put cologne on.
Well keep in mind that Snyder's father and sister were also owners of the team. Michelle was/is fairly hands off but his father had more say than most think. Gerald and Michelle combined actually owned more of the Redskins that Dan if I remember correctly.

Like I've mentioned before, the whole Dan and Vinny are best friends thing? Totally overblown. It was Vinny and Dan's dad that were best of friends.

And I mean Gerald Snyder wasn't a bad guy, he just wasn't a very good owner.

Dan was the face of the ownership group and took the heat for a lot of stuff that I know he really was just a bystander in. He certainly made his own fair share of mistakes as well

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #47
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It was Gerald Snyder who insisted they sign Bruce Smith Snd start him, even after Smith himself wanted to just retire.

It was Drasner who demanded Turner be fired before the season was over and who demanded Schottenheimer be fired as well
And I guess Drasner allowed himself to be bought out after seeing what mess he helped create? I don't ever remember hearing that name before.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #48
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
This is some enlightening stuff. Thanks SS! I didn't know any of this. What was Drasner's problem with Schottenheimer? Or did he just want Spurrier?
If I remember the story right, during preseason Drasner wanted one of Marty's assistant coaches (a real low level guy) to drive him somewhere. Marty intervened and said no, we're in the middle of practice. Drasner was livid and wanted Schottenheimer fired immediately. The other owners, mainly Snyder, pretty much told Drasner he was insane.

But from that point on, Drasner constantly bad mouthed Schottenheimer in private and public and basically had to be talked out of firing him every week.

Drasner was basically big kid with a bigger bank account. He wanted to be in the locker room, on the field, hanging out with the players, showing off his ownership. Marty would have none of that. That pissed Drasner off

It was stupid. It was painful to observe. Those years seeing the team up close for me was akin to a kid seeing someone who plays Mickey Mouse without the Mickey head on.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #49
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
And I guess Drasner allowed himself to be bought out after seeing what mess he helped create? I don't ever remember hearing that name before.
He got married in 2004/2005, sold his stake in the team and went on a 4+ year honeymoon sailing around the world
Old 12-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #50
KLHJ2
Inactive

It must be a slow week. We must be playing Cleveland or something.

It would have been nice to be a fly on the wall durring Snyder's early years. I question why all of a sudden this has become a relevant topic. It's got the feel of a Snyder PR stunt (It's not as bad as it used to be fellas). It would make for a great conspiracy theory. If only there were someone on this site who could put all of those pieces together...
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #51
Hail to the SteelSkins
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Drasner was basically big kid with a bigger bank account. He wanted to be in the locker room, on the field, hanging out with the players, showing off his ownership. Marty would have none of that. That pissed Drasner off.

Oh, so he was like Jerrah.

LOL!
Hail to the SteelSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #52
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
If I remember the story right, during preseason Drasner wanted one of Marty's assistant coaches (a real low level guy) to drive him somewhere. Marty intervened and said no, we're in the middle of practice. Drasner was livid and wanted Schottenheimer fired immediately. The other owners, mainly Snyder, pretty much told Drasner he was insane.

But from that point on, Drasner constantly bad mouthed Schottenheimer in private and public and basically had to be talked out of firing him every week.

Drasner was basically big kid with a bigger bank account. He wanted to be in the locker room, on the field, hanging out with the players, showing off his ownership. Marty would have none of that. That pissed Drasner off

It was stupid. It was painful to observe. Those years seeing the team up close for me was akin to a kid seeing someone who plays Mickey Mouse without the Mickey head on.
Drasner sounds like a real jerk. I'm glad he's gone. I'm sure it was hard to watch this crap go on with your favorite team. It must have felt like meeting someone you've always admired and looked up to and finding out they're just a petty selfcentered little man. Not Drasner himself I mean. Just the disillusionment that came with seeing what was really going on behind the scenes. Thanks for the info bro!

Last edited by 53Fan; 12-14-2012 at 10:28 AM.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #53
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Wow! It definitely puts Dan Snyder into another perspective that I have never seen him in. Like you said, I'm sure Dan was not immune to doing some stupid things himself, but it makes you wonder how different things could have been if Dan, alone, had owned the team from the beginning. I think the organization would have still had some growing pains, but maybe, just maybe the 'skins would have kept Marty around for a few seasons, just to rebuild the reputation, much like he did in San Diego.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #54
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Dan needed the money these other guys brought in. He couldn't have been an owner without guys like Drasner
Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #55
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Dan needed the money these other guys brought in. He couldn't have been an owner without guys like Drasner
Right! Could you imagine how things would have been if it was Dan who had backed out instead of Fred?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #56
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Spurrier wasn't an actual failure. He should have kept at it. I remember his press conference when he was first hired as HC. A Washington Times reporter asked him about Stephen Davis and how he would be used, Spurrier said "We're gonna have a lot of draw plays for him". Later on in Davis last season, he didn't even come anywhere of using Davis in the way Norv Turner and Schottenheimer did.

The mere thought of pitching and catching in the NFC East is a crazy thought. In the NFC East you have to run the football and then run the football. Spurrier never got that.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #57
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Go back and read my posts in this thread. Ramsey wasn't the first choice.
Thanks for sharing, Smoot. I never read posts from previous pages before I post. I don't know if Ramsey or Harrington was the bigger bust. Neither of them were very good.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #58
Hail to the SteelSkins
Camp Scrub

To be fair, if Ramsey wouldn't have gotten broken mentally by taking 1 million hits / sacks a game, he could have been very productive. It was obvious though that after multiple seasons of getting hit a lot that he would hear footsteps and make a bonehead play, or curl up like a little girl and cry. Our O-Line at the time is what really destroyed Ramsey.
Hail to the SteelSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #59
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail to the SteelSkins View Post
To be fair, if Ramsey wouldn't have gotten broken mentally by taking 1 million hits / sacks a game, he could have been very productive. It was obvious though that after multiple seasons of getting hit a lot that he would hear footsteps and make a bonehead play, or curl up like a little girl and cry. Our O-Line at the time is what really destroyed Ramsey.
Nope. Ramsey was a nice guy, strong arm and smart - but he was a slow in his decisions and would continually repeat bonehead mistakes. Nothing ruined him, he just wasn't that good.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #60
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Spurrier brought the majority of the mess onto himself. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread and previously on this board, in those days Dan Snyder had much less influence than people think. His dad had more say than Dan has ever had. And Fred Drasner was the worst owner no one talks about.
Quote:
It was Gerald Snyder who insisted they sign Bruce Smith Snd start him, even after Smith himself wanted to just retire.

It was Drasner who demanded Turner be fired before the season was over and who demanded Schottenheimer be fired as well

Quote:
Well keep in mind that Snyder's father and sister were also owners of the team. Michelle was/is fairly hands off but his father had more say than most think. Gerald and Michelle combined actually owned more of the Redskins that Dan if I remember correctly.

Like I've mentioned before, the whole Dan and Vinny are best friends thing? Totally overblown. It was Vinny and Dan's dad that were best of friends.

And I mean Gerald Snyder wasn't a bad guy, he just wasn't a very good owner.

Dan was the face of the ownership group and took the heat for a lot of stuff that I know he really was just a bystander in. He certainly made his own fair share of mistakes as well

Wow. Amazing info. Thanks a lot for sharing. SMoot, you should write a tell all book one day and call it "Snyder: The man you never knew". I'd be first in line to buy it. Only if I could get a signed copy.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote