Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Pasta Belly's Weekly Redskin Commentary

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-27-2005, 10:29 AM   #46
amorentz
Special Teams

Re: Pasta Belly's Weekly Redskin Commentary

Anyone else notice how the Skins were conspicuously absent from his "Morning After" column. Id figure thered at least be SOMETHING about a big win over the Giants. Cause you know thered have been a big spread on how good NY is if we had lost...

I believe all we got was a passing mention in the "Punts" section...
amorentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #47
MTK
\m/

He's chatting on ESPN today at noon, let's hit him up with some Skins related questions to see if we can get him to admit how wrong he was! Not just about Moss/Coles, but about Gibbs and this season!
Old 12-27-2005, 10:48 AM   #48
amorentz
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
He's chatting on ESPN today at noon, let's hit him up with some Skins related questions to see if we can get him to admit how wrong he was! Not just about Moss/Coles, but about Gibbs and this season!
I posted a question this morning when I got into work...

It was (this is almost exactly what I wrote, but dont remember 100%):

Joe Gibbs (Washington DC): Merry Christmas Len, last week you wrote that your apology column was coming along "sloooow, very slooooow." Did you get a chance to work on it during the Giants game?

Lets see if he answers it (though I doubt it because I have NEVER had a question answered on ESPN chats...)
amorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:01 AM   #49
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorentz
Anyone else notice how the Skins were conspicuously absent from his "Morning After" column. Id figure thered at least be SOMETHING about a big win over the Giants. Cause you know thered have been a big spread on how good NY is if we had lost...

I believe all we got was a passing mention in the "Punts" section...
I liked the column that they have that compares Brunell to Vick saying we have the better lefty...

Just kinda surprising to see that sort of an article on espn
Old 12-27-2005, 11:18 AM   #50
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

I just posted the following to the ESPN site:

Len, with all due respect, you and many of your media brothers have doubted and heavily criticized Joe Gibbs on a number of fronts. He has been characterized as a foolhardy old man trying to recapture an NFL that "clearly" had passed him by. His personnel decisions have been prejudged, and negatively scrutinized on every level as in the "Coles-Jets" deal, challenging his abilities in the GM role as well. In light of this, I think Joe has not only shown the obvious, that these types of things were overreactive and ridiculous, but he has thrived in his second tour. He has this team for the first time since his last tour believin' and breathin' fire. Additonally, I think any thinking, responsible person would have to agree we have seen but the "tip" of the genius iceberg that is Joe Gibbs. Len let me ask you now, what are your thoughts on these issues?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:37 PM   #51
MTK
\m/

Here's the chat transcript, not one Redskins question.

Len Pasquarelli: hope everyone had a blessed holiday, let's get started

Jerome (Davenport, FL): Len, how impressed have you been with the job Nick Saban has done in Miami?

Len Pasquarelli: admittedly, i don't get many things right, but i said in the spring, after seeing a dolphins minicamp, that saban could coach, and reiterated that in summer training camp . . . he's done a terrific job with very few players and definitely has the dolphins going the right way . . .no way, as good as i thought he could be, did i envision miami even being a .500 team this season.

John D (Denver): Len, do you think the Colts are in a really dangerous place in terms of their psyche? If I were a Colts fan I would be very afraid of the Pats.

Len Pasquarelli: well, if i were ANY team, i'd think the pats are pretty formidable right now . . . as for the colts' psyche, i'm guessing this team will really rally up around tony in the playoffs . . .indy is still the best team in the league, the last two weeks notwirhstanding, and talent usually prevails in the playoffs . . . their situation, no douobt, is a unique one . . . but this is a strong, very together team

Craig (Norwich, CT): What are your thoughts on the play of Pats rookie o-lineman Logan Mankins?

Len Pasquarelli: very steady player, strong in-line blocker and a bette pass protector than some felt he would be . . . has started every game and should, in time, be a pro bowl-type performer

Nate (Madison): I've heard rumor's that Reggie Bush is not interested in going to Green Bay at all. Any truth to this?

Len Pasquarelli: i haven't heard that at all . . . as noted in a story on our site today, the packers are definitely in the bush derby now

Dan (Kearney, NE): Len, love your work! Have you heard anything about what the Jets will do at QB? Leinart, Rivers, Pennington or someone else?

Len Pasquarelli: from what i've gathered, the jets don't have a lot of interest in leinart . . . they feel he is much like pennington and question his arm strength . . . a few weeks ago, the guess was they'd try to sign a veteran guy who could be a safety net in the event pennington isn't ready for the start of the season . . . now i won't be too surprised, based on what some of their coaches have told me and the way he has played down the stretch, if they go with bollinger . . . he's made some strrides and they seem to have fashioned some things in the offense to his strengths . . one thing is certain: they will err on the side of caution with pennington this time around

Mike (Massapequa NY): Parcells, back next year or no?

Len Pasquarelli: since bill isn't showing his hand, strictly a guess on this: he'll be back . . . but i will add this disclaimer: bill was very affected by the death of his brother earlier this season . . . i covered the game at philly just hours after bill buried his brother, and he was in an especially contemplative mood that night . . . no telling how that will affect his decision for 2006

J Dogg (Englewood): Len, have you been impressed with Chris Simms? How do you think the Bucs will handle their QB situation w/ Griese in the middle of a big contract.

Len Pasquarelli: i was on the sideline near the end of the bucs-falcons game and was very impressed by one play in particular . . . i think it was a third-anmd-two, simms looked to his right and saw that joey galloway was being covered by falcons safety ronnie heard (atlanta was hurting at cornerback at that point because of injuries) . . . simms audibled from a run to a fade pattern . . . perfect pass, 30-yard gain, although the bucs then botched the field goal try . . . but in the locker room afterwards, bucs veterans were talking about that call and the improving awareness of simms . . . so, yeah, i was pretty impressed and feel he'll go to camp as the no. 1 guy

Mike (Philly): Despite the hype Machine, admit Vick isn't the elite QB the NFL wishes he was. And Atalnta being 8-7 with 3 home monday night games is one of the years biggest disappointments

Len Pasquarelli: i dare you to show me something with my byline hyping vick . . . my take has been that he's an elite athlete who is far from a finished product at QB, and might never be . . . it would be ridiculous to suggest, as have some falcons spin-doctors, that this year wasn't a disappointment

Len Pasquarelli:

Mikey.C(Lackawanna): Will Eric Moulds be back in Buffalo next season?

Len Pasquarelli: a lot will depend on what happens in the front office and with the coaching staff . . . but i think it will be difficult to bring him back

Brian (Pittsburgh): Who has the advantage in Steelers-Bengals III, assuming that is how the seeds play out?

Len Pasquarelli: well, just based on the fact the game will be in cincy, they'd have some advantage . . . but the steelers beat them there eariler, play well on the road, and certainly know the bengals well . . . if that's the matchup, and it looks like it will be, it should be a heck of a game

Eric(DC): What does it say that Tatum Bell is only 131yds. away from becoming the Broncos second 1000yd rusher for the season? Will we see more teams in the future platooning RB's?

Len Pasquarelli: i've never much believed in the tailback by committee approach, but we're sure seeing a lot more of it . . . it's almost become like the QB position, where you'd better be sure you're backstopped by a solid No. 2 guy . . . i do think we're going to see a trend toward playing a no. 2 tailback more in the future . . . not a pure "time sharing" situation, but one in which talented no. 2 backs get more playing time and not just in nickel situations

Mike (Miami): Len, will there be a trade market for Ricky Williams this off-season? He sure looks like he did a few years ago. What about the Jets? The Steelers? The Vikings in a trade for Daunte????

Len Pasquarelli: it will take a pretty good offer for nick saban to part with williams . . . he likes him, thinks he has played hard, and that he has made a solid contribution . . . the dolphins will listen if teams call to inquire about williams, but they aren't in any hurry to just give him away

John.C(Buffalo): Do you think Herman Edwards will stay with the Jets?

Len Pasquarelli: yes, i do . . . at the same time, i think herm will very quietly seek to have his contract upgraded . . . he's got two years left and his compensation level is below most coaches, including some who do not have his credentials

Mikey(Lackawanna NY): Do you think the Eagles will relese Terrell Owens or try to trade him for a draftpick?

Len Pasquarelli: i'm sure they'll try to get something in return before releasing him . . . but every team in the league knows he's going to be cut at some point, so will be somewhat reluctant to surrender anyuthing when they can pursue him as a free agent

Richard (Music City): Do you think Norm Chow will be a successful offensive coordinator in the NFL? This year has been rough.

Len Pasquarelli: it has been a rough year, but i think norm did a terrific job with a lot of young receivers . . . most people around the nfl feel it is a very solod offensive design . . . the titans need a lot of help, but more in terms of personnel than X's and O's . . . so, yes, i think norm chow is excellent

Dan T. Chicago: Do you see the Bears as a serious threat to make the super bowl?

Len Pasquarelli: now that they've made the QB switch, i think their chances are improved . . . you have to score points in the playoffs and grossman gives them a passing dimension they didn't have with orton

Matt (Tampa): Len, you were on the sidelines of the Bucs Falcons game? I would like to ask you if you have ever seen anything like the last 20 minutes of that game in your life? 4th and 1 TD to send the game into over time with less than a minute left? Carolina loss announced in the stadium? Fumbled kickoff? BLOCKED field goal? Missed Field Goal? GW Field goald with 20 seconds left? THE most unreal game i have ever witnessed.

Len Pasquarelli: i actually went to the sidelines when the falcons lined up for the field goal in OT . . . and then the wackiness ensued . . .weird game, hardly aesthetic, but certainly exciting

Lawrence (Jacksonville, FL): Why do so many of you guys in the media cite the schedule as a way to demean the Jaguars? There are several teams in the playoffs or still in contention with equal or easier schedules in terms of opponents' winning percentage, and Jacksonville has beaten Seattle, Cincy and Pittsburgh.

Len Pasquarelli: again, i challenge you to find anything i've written demeaning the jags for the schedule . . . in fact, i've consistently said during these chats just the opposite about the jags and everyone else . . . my take has always been that teams don't make their own schedules . . . you play the schedule you're given in the nfl and don't ever apologize for a victory

Mikey(Lackawanna NY): Will the Bills franchise Nate Clements?And where do you rank Terrance McGee as a CB?

Len Pasquarelli: again, a lot will depend on who's calling the shots in buffalo . . .i think they will use the franchise tag on clements . . . it's notable that the franchise number at several positions, including cornerback, will actually be lower in '06 than in '05 . . . as for mcgee, very nice, developing player . . . has turned himself into a guy who was just viewed as a special teams playre when he came into the league, now a very good cover guy

Len Pasquarelli:

John (Kansas): Who will be the KC Chiefs next head coach?

Len Pasquarelli: it sure seems like dick vermeil wants it to be OC al saunders, but GM carl peterson might want to look outside the organization . . . sorry, no leaks yet as to how they're thinking

Tom (Boston): Len, Happy New Year!! Any news on the Bruschi injury??

Len Pasquarelli: sorry, tom, but you know how cryptic the pats are about injuries . . . not even tedy would discuss it after last night's game . . . sure didn't look good, though, did it?

Logan (indy): Who will be the KC Chiefs running back next year?

Len Pasquarelli: larry johnson starts and priest holmes gets 10-12 touches per game

Mikey(Lackawanna NY): Who's gonna be a better O'linesman D'Brickinshaw Ferguson or Winston Justice?

Len Pasquarelli: the scouts i talk to think ferguson is a superb athlete, great feet, but lacks weight . . . they seems to feel justice is the best combo-guy, athletic skills and bulk, of the tackle prospects

Ben (Oakland): What do the 49ers do now that Reggie Bush looks out of reach?

Len Pasquarelli: word is that, no matter where they finish in the top five, the niners' preference is to deal down and collect extra picks . . . not a bad idea for a team that needs so much

Lawrence (Jacksonville, FL): In ESPN.com's week 15 Power poll, to which you contribute, it says "We've harped on it before, but the Jaguars' remaining schedule is ridiculously easy (vs. 49ers, at Texans, vs. Titans)."

Len Pasquarelli: nice try . . . i contribute votes but do not write the copy . . .but, hey, keep trying, lawrence . . . by the way, i voted the jags No. 8 this week

Chris, CT: How did Jesse Armstead's workout go with the Giants this week. I'm assuming since they didn't sign him, he's done?

Len Pasquarelli: my guess is that, since the giants have signed other LBs to help compensate for injuries, the workout wasn't good enough in their eyes to make him an offer

negale (dallas): Forget the playoffs for Dallas this season. Don't you agree that next year, the cowboys will be a legit super bowl contender, because they have the money to fill their holes on the OL and at FS and have been drafting well.

Len Pasquarelli: i agree there are a ton of good, young players, that this year's draft was a bounty for them, and that the boys are on the upswing

Travis (Canada): Are Junior Seau & Deion Sanders done after this season?

Len Pasquarelli: seau has said he hopes to play in '06, even if it's not with the dolphins . . . deion has been hinting at retirement

Bryan (Yelm, WA): Is Tim Ruskell a shoe in for executive of the year. Joe Jurevicius, Tatupu, Leroy Hill, Sharper, Darby, it seems like everything he touches is gold.

Len Pasquarelli: tim is definitley on the short list . . . as is another former rich mckay protege, jerry angelo of the bears, and a few others

Dustin (West Va): What happens if the Texans beat SF on Sunday? How will the #1 pick be determined with so many teams possibly at 3-13?

Len Pasquarelli: the tiebreaker is strength of schedule, with the "weaskest" schedule getting the first pick . . .we've got a story on the site right now detailing this . . .at this point, new orleans, which has 3 wins, has the weakest schedule of the five contenders for the top pick . . . of coursw, the texans can end all the suspense with a loss to the 49ers

lance briggs, chicago: now that I am a pro-bowler am I going to get the extension I deserve?

Len Pasquarelli: here's hoping you do, lance, you had a real breakout year

Len Pasquarelli:

Tim (St. Paul, MN): Where does Daunte Culpepper end up next season?

Len Pasquarelli: i think he stays in minnesota

Len Pasquarelli:

Len Pasquarelli: still a way to go, but phil savage is a terrific evaluator, and they'll add to the talent pool in the offseason

Len Pasquarelli:

Scott, Providence: Happy Holidays. What do you see as potential moves for the Red Sox as the winter is upon us and the free agent market becomes thinner and thinner?

Len Pasquarelli: they'd better get a CF and SS soon

Phil, NY: Why does no one talk about Ernie Accorsi as Exec of the year??

Len Pasquarelli: good reminder that he, too, should be among the several deserving candidates . . .what he did in free agency was terrific
Old 12-27-2005, 04:40 PM   #52
wolfeskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1
I just posted the following to the ESPN site:

Len, with all due respect, you and many of your media brothers have doubted and heavily criticized Joe Gibbs on a number of fronts. He has been characterized as a foolhardy old man trying to recapture an NFL that "clearly" had passed him by. His personnel decisions have been prejudged, and negatively scrutinized on every level as in the "Coles-Jets" deal, challenging his abilities in the GM role as well. In light of this, I think Joe has not only shown the obvious, that these types of things were overreactive and ridiculous, but he has thrived in his second tour. He has this team for the first time since his last tour believin' and breathin' fire. Additonally, I think any thinking, responsible person would have to agree we have seen but the "tip" of the genius iceberg that is Joe Gibbs. Len let me ask you now, what are your thoughts on these issues?

thats a very nice post, i hope he answers it.
good job