Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #46
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
The problem with Marty is that he arrived right after Norv Turner. Under Turner, there was no accountability and that's a big reason why we underachieved for years under him. Marty came along and said you know what, I don't care how much talent we have here, how many Hall of Famers are on the roster, we're going to work hard and be accountable. But then guys like Darrell Green and Bruce Smith said "Wait a minute, we've been to the Super Bowl and you haven't. We're future Hall of Famers wrapping up our careers. Don't tell us how to play the game."

I would love, love, love for Marty to come back. Love it

Bruce Smith drew his last breath with Marty in Carlisle the last time we were there for training camp. Marty had him do the Oklahoma drill a couple times and the expression Bruce wore that day I will never forget. This team has not bonded the same way it did when camp was in Carlisle. I really miss going up there.

Advertisements
Old 10-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #47
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I always liked Marty going back to his Browns days. But there are a couple of negative undeniable truths about him:

1) Doesn't win big games even when it seems his team is more talented.
2) Has had relationship problems in his career, usually w/FO staff. In fact, that's why he isn't working now. So, Michael might just be giving a pretty objective opinion of him.

That said, he made great strides here & I thought he should've been given the chance to come back. He can build a winner, even if he hasn't won the big games, his teams win consistently.
I'm not going to deny or argue with the fact Marty has had his issues. True he has not been a GM before either, but he is good at being a HC (even if he has not won the big game) and can evaluate talent which is a big plus as far as being a GM, he was a hard nosed HC which I would think would carry over to his GM duties. In other words he would not put up with the whinning, cry baby player like Portis when he runs to DS over issues he's not happy with.

I would pick his son Brian as a HC cause his system seems to work. No he has not won the big game either yet but he was able to develope Drew Breese into the QB he is today in San Diego and is doing well with Sanchez in New Jersey. Plus his system stat wise can move the ball easily. Plus they can put up more then 20 points per game. and it's obvious he and his dad would most likely get along to help create a decent team.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #48
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
He also wants mike shanahan
If Shanahan is calling the plays then great. If Shanahan is picking the players then I'd rather have Vinny. If anyone was worse at picking players then Vinny it was Shanahan. Honestly though (as if I was going to lie) I'd rather just have Snyder hire a real GM (*cough* DeCosta *cough*) give him a bunch of money and say "alright find me a coach and get me some players." Sort of like how JKC ran things. None of this crap about knowing what they eat for breakfast in fact better yet get me someone where the only thing you know about them is their favorite type of Cigar after a big win.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #49
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Uh, No. I'm not going to argue the stats cause I don't keep up and you most likely looked it up, but I would not agree that he's as good as you are making him seem.
No I didn't look up stats. I'm going off all of the fade routes where he leads the receiver out of bounds. Or the times that he over or underthrows his receivers. I honestly feel that if Campbell were effective with his deep ball as people make him out to be then this team wins more games and in a more dominant way. A average to mediocre QB doesn't put bad teams away, but allows them to stay in games. If you watch the games then you already see everything that I am talking about. Really, besides the bomb to Moss in the N.O. game last year when has his deep ball impressed you ? Oh, my fault there was that one pass to Brandon Lloyd in his very first start. The guy doesn't make defenses pay for KEEPING an 8th or 9th man in the box. I think that Danny realized that a game changing QB is what this team needed. I ask you this.

Say you read in the paper that the Redskins extended Jasons contract would you say that that was a good personnel move on Snyders part or that he made yet another mistake due to Snyders meddling?

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #50
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpaint View Post
I feel good about us turning this thing around this year. It's barely week 4. My whole thing is V.Cerrato I dont know anything about him but for some reason he is the only one who hasnt been fired threw all these years. Can anyone enlighten me if able thanks.
Honestly I hope we can turn this around and go 9-7 or better, but I just don't see it. They couldn't beat the Rams and couldn't beat the last place Lions....which to me puts us in last place.

I have lobbied for Cerrato to be fired, and most recently have kinda stuck up for him in regards to his latest draft picks. Although we might not have needed them I think they are good players. But if Zorn is getting fired I would push for "Rebuild mode" and if DS does not want to fire Cerrato then create a new position and put him in that spot but clearly hire a football knowlegable GM and HC who can get a long and start fresh.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #51
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
From the way Michael describes it, Marty was fired and Williams was never hired because they are not likable people.

Wow.
I mean wasn't that always clear? It says a great deal about Snyder's approach to the team...he will always have an extremely active hand and will never turn things over to the "best person for the job" because Snyder has to be right in there on everything, therefor he has to hire the best personality for himself. Gibbs got along w/ everyone because he's a person of enormous integrity and character. Zorn gets along w/ Snyder i'm sure because Zorn's personality, which I think is entirely evident on the sideline, every presser etc etc etc, is basically gee-whiz "if we just work a little harder everything will be fine."

Other than Gibbs Snyder tends to surround himself w/ toadies (like Cerrato) or very passive personalities. That is not what makes a leader, period. Sure, let Dan turn away guys like Marty and Williams cuz they just won't cowtoe...well it's also worth mentioning players sure have seemed to get behind both those guys. Marty's players, aside from his short stint in DC, have absolutely worked their asses off...his players shocked the football world when they started putting the smack-down on the mighty Patriots while Marty was there. And Williams' players fight their guts out too.

I think it's reasonable to say Snyder gets exactly what he wants in terms of team leadership...don't tell me about how much he wants to win.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #52
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Honestly I hope we can turn this around and go 9-7 or better, but I just don't see it. They couldn't beat the Rams and couldn't beat the last place Lions....which to me puts us in last place.

I have lobbied for Cerrato to be fired, and most recently have kinda stuck up for him in regards to his latest draft picks. Although we might not have needed them I think they are good players. But if Zorn is getting fired I would push for "Rebuild mode" and if DS does not want to fire Cerrato then create a new position and put him in that spot but clearly hire a football knowlegable GM and HC who can get a long and start fresh.
I don't see how Zorn can't be fired after this year. I think we've found that our patchwork coaching staff isn't going to make the push we thought it would after Gibbs 2.0 left.

Rebuild it all because there is nothing competitive about this team to hold to.

The George Michael segment was awesome and I really like GM but really it seemed like a lot of his assessments were done off of the pretense that he personally knows Snyder, Cerrato & Sonny very personally.

The piece that stuck out with me was that Grilliams couldn't have been coach here because Snyder didn't like him because of the "Marty-like" personality. That Marty-like personality is the ONLY thing that is going to dig this franchise out of the grave it's dug itself.

Snyder doesn't want anyone coming between his influence over the roster...that was just 2 years ago...looks like we're in trouble.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #53
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
Everyone hated Tom Coughlin and were ready to fire him if you remember. They start winning and he's a god now.

Players and FO's like to win. Winning cures alot. Marty is a winner. He has been no matter where he goes.

I too would welcome a new GM and an experienced OC/DC as our new coach like a Brian Schott. FO has got to change though.
Great point...another hard ass coach who in the end earned the respect of his roster and those guys fight for every last inch on the field.

Just for shits and giggles...does anyone here think lil Danny would get along w/ Coughlin? Would he get along w/ any of the great coaches out there right now? Really? How many great coaches strike you as really nice, easy-going blokes?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #54
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Great point...another hard ass coach who in the end earned the respect of his roster and those guys fight for every last inch on the field.

Just for shits and giggles...does anyone here think lil Danny would get along w/ Coughlin? Would he get along w/ any of the great coaches out there right now? Really? How many great coaches strike you as really nice, easy-going blokes?
Yeah...when that was brought up it really pissed me off.

I thought Dan Snyder was supposed to be a hardnosed business man...What a pussy!...he doesn't like people who do things differently than he does. He doesn't like when people don't kiss his ass and treat him like royalty...eff this guy!...get over yourself douchebag!...you're ruining a perfectly good franchise.

Here's a perfect example...if your kids don't say they hate you at least a couple of times over the period of you rearing them...YOU'RE NOT DOING YOUR JOB!

Are you listening Dan Snyder???...Right now the coaching staff thinks you're the best owner in the world...you're spoiling the franchise.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #55
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkFan4Life View Post
No I didn't look up stats. I'm going off all of the fade routes where he leads the receiver out of bounds. Or the times that he over or underthrows his receivers. I honestly feel that if Campbell were effective with his deep ball as people make him out to be then this team wins more games and in a more dominant way. A average to mediocre QB doesn't put bad teams away, but allows them to stay in games. If you watch the games then you already see everything that I am talking about. Really, besides the bomb to Moss in the N.O. game last year when has his deep ball impressed you ? Oh, my fault there was that one pass to Brandon Lloyd in his very first start. The guy doesn't make defenses pay for KEEPING an 8th or 9th man in the box. I think that Danny realized that a game changing QB is what this team needed. I ask you this.

Say you read in the paper that the Redskins extended Jasons contract would you say that that was a good personnel move on Snyders part or that he made yet another mistake due to Snyders meddling?
Ya know it's a shame when I can read what your writing and your confusing the hell out of me. In your first post I thought you were actually trying to point out that JC is the next best thing since sliced bread. Which is why I asked you if you were talking about JC.

Then I read this post and it sounds like your bashing JC. So I'm thoroughly confused unless your were being sarcastic in one of these. but to answer your question if JC is extended I would hope DS would get a serious discount and put him as our #2 and look for someone who is #1 quality. Otherwise beef up the damn O-line and give him all day to throw to the great talent they will need around him.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #56
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
Yeah...when that was brought up it really pissed me off.

I thought Dan Snyder was supposed to be a hardnosed business man...What a pussy!...he doesn't like people who do things differently than he does. He doesn't like when people don't kiss his ass and treat him like royalty...eff this guy!...get over yourself douchebag!...you're ruining a perfectly good franchise.

Here's a perfect example...if your kids don't say they hate you at least a couple of times over the period of you rearing them...YOU'RE NOT DOING YOUR JOB!

Are you listening Dan Snyder???...Right now the coaching staff thinks you're the best owner in the world...you're spoiling the franchise.
Wait no isn't it more like he's the dad that's WAY TOO INVOLVED in their kids lives. So it's more like he's not letting his daughters date anyone he hasn't approved of. Meanwhile the approved suitors are complete duds, or are great but because of the stigma that he was chosen by Daddy, nothing ever really materializes, and before you know it Daddy's showing him the door . . . I think I've taken that far enough.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #57
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post

I'm going to play devils advocate. Even though they might be the exception to the rule, but three guys off the top of my head that are really nice guys that have Super Bowl rings are Tony Dungy, Dick Vermil, and Joe Gibbs.

With that said the only real "hard asses" that I can think of that have won Super Bowls are Belicheck, Gruden, and Coughlin.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #58
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Wait no isn't it more like he's the dad that's WAY TOO INVOLVED in their kids lives. So it's more like he's not letting his daughters date anyone he hasn't approved of. Meanwhile the approved suitors are complete duds, or are great but because of the stigma that he was chosen by Daddy, nothing ever really materializes, and before you know it Daddy's showing him the door . . . I think I've taken that far enough.
Well...my example was more for the toddler age kids who grab at everything they see in a toy store and you have to tell them no and they end up calling you the worst mother/father in the world.

You're example is good though too...and more amusing : )
Old 10-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #59
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
I'm going to play devils advocate. Even though they might be the exception to the rule, but three guys off the top of my head that are really nice guys that have Super Bowl rings are Tony Dungy, Dick Vermil, and Joe Gibbs.

With that said the only real "hard asses" that I can think of that have won Super Bowls are Belicheck, Gruden, and Coughlin.

I think we all can agree that regardless of personality type, nice or mean, every one of those coaches want things done their own way. If their ship sinks it will be because they manned every decision the whole way through.

What Super Bowl caliber coach would want to take on any position where they weren't in command of their ultimate fate?...Nice or mean, I believe a good coach makes the decisions he thinks are needed to succeed, whether it behooves the owner or not.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #60
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I'm not going to say anything bad about Shanahan. I think he would be good also and early over the summer I thought him or Cowher would be a good choice. As HC. I've just had time to think about it and if..."if" DS brought in a decent GM, someone who knows football, ie; Marty, then the GM would have to be able to get a long with his HC. Which is why I say Marty and his son Brian.

If we pick one of the others, Shanahan or Cowher as HC who do we pick up as GM that would get a long with them well enough? Just asking.
One guy Cowher has said he wouldn't mind working for is....Marty Schottenheimer