Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Better kickers available?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should Suisham be cut for his horrible 23 yard miss against the Saints?
Yes 60 73.17%
No 22 26.83%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #46
SouperMeister
Playmaker

re: Better kickers available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
The Redskins defense gave up ten points after Suisham missed that kick. I really can't diss the guy because he has beeen a reliable kicker the majority of the season. He won the Rams game by himself, and was instrumental in winning the Bucks game. I doubt there are any better kickers walking the street at this point in the season. Suisham was not the reason we lost today, blame for this loss spreads throughout the team.
What game were you watching??? When a game can be iced with any FG inside of 40 yards, your kicker MUST come through. Inside 25 yards? A clinching kick can NEVER be missed in that situation. If you can tolerate that, then you should just be satisfied with rooting for a losing team.

Advertisements
Old 12-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #47
atomicnixon
Special Teams

Quote:
The Redskins defense gave up ten points after Suisham missed that kick. I really can't diss the guy because he has beeen a reliable kicker the majority of the season. He won the Rams game by himself, and was instrumental in winning the Bucks game. I doubt there are any better kickers walking the street at this point in the season. Suisham was not the reason we lost today, blame for this loss spreads throughout the team.
John Hall single handily won the Chicago game back in '05 too. The thing is, THAT'S THEIR JOB! If you can't hit it from 23 yards something is seriously off... my high school QB kicked a 42 yarder with no time left on the clock to win the game, he is way more clutch than Suisham. I mean Nick Novak beat Dallas on a clutch 49 yarder with no time left. Seriously, Nick Novak of all people. Jason Elam was cut after his numerous misses in ATL, I don't see why it should be any different here (although we do tend to covet turds [see Mark Brunell, Taylor Jacobs, John Hall, Derrick Frost, Tom Tupa.... it goes on]). I mean we're 3-9, why not start looking for someone for next year?? I'd give Novak another shot for what it's worth.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #48
souperbad
Camp Scrub

Was that Susisham who missed the big pressure kick against Seattle in the playoffs? The one after we recovered our own kickoff? His leg is jell-o. cut him.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #49
atomicnixon
Special Teams

What about Dave Rayner? Didn't he kick well in the preseason? What about the Gramatica brothers? I'd even let Hunter the Punter try, he's been solid rushing, passing, and punting.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #50
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Any word of the press conference on this matter?
Old 12-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #51
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicnixon View Post
What about Dave Rayner? Didn't he kick well in the preseason? What about the Gramatica brothers? I'd even let Hunter the Punter try, he's been solid rushing, passing, and punting.
In hindsight, I like that idea, at least from chippy range. Hunter is an athlete, which he has clearly demonstrated with his footspeed on his TD run and his arm strength on the TD throw. I'm pretty sure he'd nail a 23 yard FG too.

Swishy is a choker. We've already cited the Seattle playoff game (35 yards) which would have put us up 4 with all the momentum. How about his piss poor 2nd half last year, which started unraveling when he was short from 45 yards against Dallas in a Sunday night game that was a close game. The guy will hit meaningless kicks all day, but he's swishy when you need solid with a big game on the line.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 AM   #52
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
What game were you watching??? When a game can be iced with any FG inside of 40 yards, your kicker MUST come through. Inside 25 yards? A clinching kick can NEVER be missed in that situation. If you can tolerate that, then you should just be satisfied with rooting for a losing team.
The way the game concluded I'm not so sure it would have been iced had Suisham made the kick.

Hey, no one is absolving Suisham of blame for missing the kick, he should have made it but he didn't, and I'll say it again, he wasn'l the reason we lost. Any by the way I was watching what you watched from less than a hundred feet away.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:06 AM   #53
RedskinPete
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmurfs22 View Post
As a high school soccer coach I have a team full of better kickers!
Really a player that can kick in front of 80,000 fans? How about this...try to score a TD when you are 1st and less then 10 to a TD?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:32 AM   #54
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

I made longer kicks in middle school as the backup. There's no excuse to miss a 23 yarder other than the holder putting the ball down horizontally.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #55
celts32
Playmaker

Why bother? He deserved to be cut in Seattle a couple years ago for that 30 yard miss that cost us a playoff win...but at 3-9 what's the point? Finish out the season and let the new regime decide who the kicker should be going forward.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #56
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I was campaigning for him to be cut before the season began. I knew his lucky streak could not continue all season, he's always been atrocious.

Someone call Nick Novak.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #57
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
CORRECTION: The refs gave the Saints 10 points.

Still, NO EXCUSE for Suisham, he should have put us up by 10 with a minute left. Cut the bum, he's cost us more than 1 game this season. (Dallas loss also)
Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #58
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeSkinsFan View Post
There is a local kid who can kick 60 yarders off a tee. He overweight and completely out of shape since his HS football days from a couple years ago and works as a landscaper. I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to make better than minimum wage!
Seriously, give him a bag of footballs and send him to Redskins Park to kick balls onto the roof from the parking lot to get their attention.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #59
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

You can search the boards for the amount of times I've backed Suisham. I can't do it anymore.

While cutting him is a knee-jerk reaction, at worst, you get a warm body in for 3 weeks that you release come January. At best, you get a guy that comes in, kicks well, and you can throw into a competition come training camp.

To me it's not knee-jerk. Twice in three weeks, with the game on the line, Suisham has not done his job. He's failed to deliver. That's the thing about kickers...it's all mental. They can all kick the ball 75+ yards on the kickoffs, and hit 50-60 yard field goals. However, the mentally strong ones can do so under pressure. Suisham has proven he cannot. How many times have good kickers had bad years and fallen off the face of the earth?

Here's to hoping Vinatieri plays this weekend, so the Colts cut Stover and the Skins can pick him up.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
Old 12-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #60
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Suisham alone didn't cost the game, but that FG would have forced the Saints to score twice in regulation. There would have been no JC pass that was intercepted, and only if we failed to recover an expected onside kick would we have lost that game. I think Suisham should get cut, and we bring in someone to audition for the next 4 games. Simple enough. Is it gonna fix the Skins, no but it gives the team someone to evaluate. Remember Suisham's kickoffs land at the 10 yard line, so we aren't sacrificing an excellent KO guy either.
Closed Thread