Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

The Walking Dead thread (spoiler alert, read at your own risk)

Parking Lot

Old 11-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #46
over the mountain
Playmaker

re: The Walking Dead thread (spoiler alert, read at your own risk)

found the past episode pretty slow, guy stuck in the well alil boring.

i also thought its kinda stupid for the dude to be riding the loud ass chopper

i dont get how the school where the FEMA supply truck had a zillion walkers yet the town and pharmacy was quiet with zero walkers

im gonna stick it out but dang man i find this whole season so far to be a side track to the actual big term storyline . . is there no big picture plot line? is it really just girl runs into woods, group tries to find girl, boy gets shot, boy gets saved . . . seems to be a random collection of events . . .

where is the big picture conflict and resolution? its a bunch of small isolated problems.

Advertisements
Old 11-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #47
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
found the past episode pretty slow, guy stuck in the well alil boring.

i also thought its kinda stupid for the dude to be riding the loud ass chopper

i dont get how the school where the FEMA supply truck had a zillion walkers yet the town and pharmacy was quiet with zero walkers

im gonna stick it out but dang man i find this whole season so far to be a side track to the actual big term storyline . . is there no big picture plot line? is it really just girl runs into woods, group tries to find girl, boy gets shot, boy gets saved . . . seems to be a random collection of events . . .

where is the big picture conflict and resolution? its a bunch of small isolated problems.
Pharmacy was in a small abandoned town an hour away from the farm. FEMA site was ground zero for an outbreak. Unlike the hospital in the pilot episode the military didn't come in and "quarantine" the area. If you remember the hospital had a parking lot of dead bodies. No such thing was done at the high school where the site was likely just abandoned. Besides from a writing point of view why would you want a love scene ruined by a zombie ambush?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #48
over the mountain
Playmaker

excellent points dirt. totally buying and understanding that. thank you.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #49
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
excellent points dirt. totally buying and understanding that. thank you.
Thanks, I'm kind of a zombie fanatic so I try to pay attention to this stuff. Scared as hell though that AMC is eventually going to ruin this series with their suggestions for budget cuts. Which is sad because this is the only really quality zombie form of media available these days. Resident Evil movies and games have become crap, Dawn of the Dead was released in 2004, 28 Weeks Later was 2007, and Dead Island was a let down for me. Granted Dead Rising 2 was okay but this is the first real quality zombie media to produce on a regular basis as well as recent memory.

Sucks that the cast and producers have no leverage on AMC because AMC owns all rights to the TV version of the series unlike Breaking Bad and Mad Men who can and have threatened to go to another network. Though Frank Darabont being replaced by the producer of The Shield isn't to bad of a dropoff.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 11-10-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #50
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Provided the cuts don't start messing things up, I think when that guy's brother (forget his name) comes back this week, the show will really start to get back on track.

For anyone who's read the comic, is this a huge departure from it?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #51
itvnetop
Playmaker

Anyone kinda meh about the Talking Dead?

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #52
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Provided the cuts don't start messing things up, I think when that guy's brother (forget his name) comes back this week, the show will really start to get back on track.

For anyone who's read the comic, is this a huge departure from it?
I'd say about 50% of the show is completely different from the graphic novels.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:07 AM   #53
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

There has been a possible spoiler that has been leaked on the net, complete with screen cap, for the midseason finale. Safe to say if it comes to pass it will be a hell of a way to close out the mid season.

- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 11-24-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:20 AM   #54
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post
I'd say about 50% of the show is completely different from the graphic novels.
Yea like Shane is actually live this far in.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #55
GMScud
Swearinger

I was surprised how calm Rick was when he found out his wife slept with Shane. Crazy twist that Hershel and their family have a locked barn full of walkers.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #56
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Pharmacy was in a small abandoned town an hour away from the farm. FEMA site was ground zero for an outbreak. Unlike the hospital in the pilot episode the military didn't come in and "quarantine" the area. If you remember the hospital had a parking lot of dead bodies. No such thing was done at the high school where the site was likely just abandoned. Besides from a writing point of view why would you want a love scene ruined by a zombie ambush?
Perfect Analysis here. I like you am borderline obsessed with all things zombies, and i find myself quite often focusing on these kind of details during the show.

At the FEMA site, keep in mind things would have been much much worse basically because of so very many people who were "infected" but had not yet turned. This in turn spilled over to the aid workers, soldiers, police, doctors, etc.. It was much easier to get an outbreak going there because of the sheer volume of people.

Common sense tells normal people that in the event of an emergency, you'd go to the police barracks, the army base, the hospital, etc. But all these places are the worst to go if an outbreak happens. The people on the farm in the abandoned town has a much better chance of surviving as long as they can keep stocked up on food and fresh water.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #57
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
There has been a possible spoiler that has been leaked on the net, complete with screen cap, for the midseason finale. Safe to say if it comes to pass it will be a hell of a way to close out the mid season.
Sadly the spoiler I saw was legit.

Kind of bummed that I found out so early but at the same time didn't make it any less climactic.

- FRPLG
Old 11-28-2011, 05:12 AM   #58
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Sadly the spoiler I saw was legit.

Kind of bummed that I found out so early but at the same time didn't make it any less climactic.
Who the hell is releasing leaks on AMC shows? I saw the Breaking Bad spoiler pic online the week before the season finale.

Sorry guys, but I'm just not loving the show. Ridiculous decision-making by nearly every character, even within a fictional zombie apocalypse. The show isn't helped by melodramatics, not excluding tonight's final scene. Way to have the last zombie wait until everyone else is shot up to make her "appearance." And I don't really care how close or far a part this is from the graphic novels... there are way too many eye-rolling scenes for me in Season 2.

I just wish the series could find the magic sparked in the very first episode. Now that was amazing television. The biggest problem now is that none of the characters are written in a way to invest the audience, aside from Daryl and Glenn. The rest of the cast is annoying and it doesn't help when the leads lack the charisma to carry a show. I hope everyone is sticking around after TWD for Hell on Wheels. Superior across the board: Writing, acting, score, photography and production design.

my blather

Last edited by itvnetop; 11-29-2011 at 12:28 AM.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #59
redsk1
The Starter

Thought last night's episode was very good, including the ending. Didn't see that one coming. There have been a few dull episodes this season but still a good series. Need more zombies in those dull episodes.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #60
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

The "Search for Sophia" was drug out too long and even though I had a feeling even before the finale that Sophia was going to end up a zombie, I was not surprised.

I really like the Herschel character, the actor who plays him is amazing and he does a great job at showing you how conflicted and torn up by emotion he really is, even though he comes off like a pompous ass.

In the comic you see how he gets kind of more and more grizzled and bitter as more stuff happens to his family, and at the end he is basically only living so he can watch out for his one remaining son and Maggie, basically admitting to himself that his useful time on earth has been fulfilled.

I like Shane, it is great that he is still alive and he is one of the reasons i am excited for season 3 (They did greenlight it 2 episodes into this season). He is a little unstable, but who wouldn't be in his situation. He makes the hard decisions and logical ones, and doesn't let emotion cloud his judgment. Rick is still my favorite in the show, but his attitude and mindset is consistant to what Shane said to Lori. Rick isn't cut out for this world (The zombie apocalpyse world). Rick would make a great small town deputy / constable, as he ends up doing in the comics at the Alexandria Safe Zone.

Wonder what happens to Carol now. All in all can't wait for February!