Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

All Things Technology Related Thread

Parking Lot

Old 04-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #46
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

We use Big Fix for patching and updating. That covers a lot of systems connecting to our domain. GPOL refuses connection if they're too far out of compliance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #47
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: All Things Technology Related Thread

Ok,

So a question for everyone.

background - My mom is nearing 80 years old, uses XP, and Money 2003 for all her needs - she does do online banking with the couple of credit unions she uses, and outlook express (yes it's still out there). I keep her antivirus up, run malwarebytes often and don't think that she needs to worry about microsoft's end of support for XP. She uses a kindle, but gets very flustered with any small glitches. Personally, I dread the day she would have to go to windows 8, or even a Chromebook.

Question: In each individual's opinion, is the end of Microsoft support going to cascade quick enough to cause her enough grief that she ought to get a new system sooner rather than later? A sidebar is that her sister in Germany has no tech saavy family/friends, and if my mom ought to change should my aunt, who has a similar system there.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:06 AM   #48
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

No, she should be fine for a year or so. Expect things to stop working sooner rather than later. For example, IE won't update past 8 so there's a lot of functionality that sites will support that IE8 won't.

You can use other browsers, of course, but it will become more of an issue with time.

Maybe Win 8.1 will bring you even closer?
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #49
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Ok,

background - My mom is nearing 80 years old, uses XP, and Money 2003 for all her needs - she does do online banking with the couple of credit unions she uses, and outlook express (yes it's still out there). I keep her antivirus up, run malwarebytes often and don't think that she needs to worry about microsoft's end of support for XP. She uses a kindle, but gets very flustered with any small glitches. Personally, I dread the day she would have to go to windows 8, or even a Chromebook.

Question: In each individual's opinion, is the end of Microsoft support going to cascade quick enough to cause her enough grief that she ought to get a new system sooner rather than later? A sidebar is that her sister in Germany has no tech saavy family/friends, and if my mom ought to change should my aunt, who has a similar system there.
Hmmm, how about just taking away the admin rights like we were talking about above? Install Teamviewer (TeamViewer - Free Remote Control, Remote Access & Online Meetings) and set up an unattended install, so you can remote in anytime you need just in case. That would at least prevent some...
Old 04-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #50
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

For all you kids not keeping up with the SSL/TSL exploit called Heartbleed. It's huge so I suggest you read and follow the instructions.

The Heartbleed Hit List: The Passwords You Need to Change Right Now

In dummy terms a illustration of what's going on with Heartbleed.

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #51
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

01000111010000010100100101011010001000000100100001 00111101010111001000000100010001001111010010010010 00000100011100110000001100000100011101001100010001 0100111111

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #52
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Ok,

Windows Options

Possibly the easiest option is buying a copy of Windows 7 (likely the 32 bit version given the age of the laptop) pop in the disc and install. Can't say for certain but seeing as how the disc would probably view the install as a simple upgrade most of her files would stay in tact. Though if that wasn't the case you likely would receive an explicit warning from the installer.

You could get her a bargain laptop with Windows 8 and then install a Windows 7 System Builder. Keep in mind the Windows 7 system builder is bare bones and won't even include Office. The nice thing though about system builder versions of Windows is they don't come with bloatware. So no Norton prompts, Skype, Mcafee, etc.

Another option with a Windows 8 laptop would be downloading any one of the numerous classic start button apps that for the most part allow you to avoid using the Metro/start menu as little as possible if not completely.

Though a word of warning in buying any laptop make sure the touchpad doesn't have have any crazy features. My Dad bought a Leveno laptop a year ago that had all these smart touch features and it made even basic things such as double clicking a royal pain so moral of the story try before you buy. Or at least look very closely at reviews

Linux Options

Another way to salvage the current laptop is you could install a windows like version of Linux in Linux Mint for free. As long as shes not to attached to Outlook and Money 2003 you should be able to find plenty of alternatives for alternatives for Linux.

She also wouldn't even need to commit to Linux Mint right away. All you would have to do, assuming its like most computers is burn the Iso/download to a disc, put it in the disc drive, select the live system option from the prompt menu which should start up automatically when you turn on the computer, and she could try it out without risking making any changes to her computer. (Live CD Simple Tutorial, Live CD In Depth Tutorial)

I use live discs all the time with Virtual Machines and my own systems and they really are great for playing around without risking any permanent changes unless of course you click the install button on the desktop. BTW don't click the install button on the desktop until you're sure thats what you want to do, lol.

Quote:
A live CD, live DVD, or live disc is a complete bootable computer installation including operating system which runs in a computer's memory, rather than loading from a hard disk drive; the CD itself is read-only. It allows users to run an operating system for any purpose without installing it or making any changes to the computer's configuration. Live CDs can run on a computer without secondary storage, such as a hard disk drive, or with a corrupted hard disk drive or file system, allowing data recovery. A live ISO is an ISO image of a Live CD which can be used in virtual machine environments, mounted as if it were a CD/DVD and used as the virtual machine's boot CD. Live CDs, ISOs, and images usually include an operating system available without charge or restrictive licence such as Linux, rather than a commercial one such as Microsoft Windows, for legal rather than technical reasons.
Potential Problems with Linux

Keep in mind though that while the Linux option might be viable it could easily become troublesome. For example if the Live CD doesn't start up when turning the computer on you would have to reconfigure the boot order from the 80's like UEFI menu on your computer (aka mashing F12 when your computer starts up).

Theres other potential hickups like say you were to install Linux along side Windows XP, well for me the boot loader didn't install properly so when I booted up my computer I didn't even have access to the Linux OS I installed even though I could see from my disc manager that it was there. Easy enough to fix with a program called boot repair but I was still driven nuts for a day or two.

Of course theres also the chance that everything could go off without a hitch. The first time I installed Linux on an old 2008 HP laptop everything went smoothly. I selected install Ubuntu Linux along side Windows 7 and soon enough everytime I booted up my computer I was given the option to boot up Ubuntu Linux or Windows 7 with Windows 7 being the default if I didn't select anything within 30 seconds.

The second time I tried to install Scientific Linux on my own rig I ran into the same problems I described above that provided me with some decent experience on troubleshooting but it was still a pain. Granted I'm sort of a hobbyist so I find even the frustrating parts enjoyable....at times.

Personally I'd suggest trying the LiveCD and if it doesn't boot up the first time you start your computer with the disc in the disc tray then just forget about it. Unless you're willing to go through with learning how to trouble shoot a LinuxOS install, the $100 for a copy of Windows 7 might be worth the price. After all can you really put a price on sanity?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 04-13-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #53
FRPLG
MVP

I believe you can still get 7 upgrade. I'd do that. XP won't be getting patched anymore. Not sure whether that's really much of a deal in the micro but who knows. I do know that, as RR said, things are going to start "no worky" in the not too distant future. May be more difficult to deal with then than now.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #54
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the input. I think I will look at win7 first
Old 04-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #55
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I believe you can still get 7 upgrade. I'd do that. XP won't be getting patched anymore. Not sure whether that's really much of a deal in the micro but who knows. I do know that, as RR said, things are going to start "no worky" in the not too distant future. May be more difficult to deal with then than now.
I second this as well. Ironically what I didn't address in my long winded response (that probably functioned as a sure fire cure for insomnia) was that it's probably important that your mother switch from XP in any way, shape or form. I'd highly recommend this if for no other reason then the fact that one of her primary online activities appears to be online banking according to your initial post. Not worth the risk at that point.

If she was just trolling forums and pwning n00bs with fake accounts and unique passwords she wasn't using anywhere else, then I would say she'd probably be fine sticking with XP

- FRPLG
Old 04-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #56
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
For all you kids not keeping up with the SSL/TSL exploit called Heartbleed. It's huge so I suggest you read and follow the instructions.

The Heartbleed Hit List: The Passwords You Need to Change Right Now

In dummy terms a illustration of what's going on with Heartbleed.

not arguing that it was a big vulnerability. But just to be clear, they didn't announce it until it was fixed, and those who created it (whoever and wherever they may be) are already working on the next one (probably a year ago). If you are regularly changing your password or even just using basic precautions, this is just media marketed fear. It was discovered 2 years ago, but they aren't going to announce it, lest people who might want to exploit it figure it out
Old 04-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #57
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Another note, Google has put out a remote desktop app for personal use (along the lines of Teamviewer), with an Android app for it. Is it bad to use my phone screen as my mouse LOL.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #58
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

SarcasticRover ‏@SarcasticRover 3m
Best wishes to @NASALADEE. It died doing what it loved; crashing into the dark side of the moon while singing 'Let It Go' from Frozen.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #59
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Rumor: Nvidia's 20nm Maxwell GPUs Delayed to 2015 | The Escapist

On one hand happy that I'll have one less temptation to needlessly upgrade (2 GTX 770's in SLI at the moment) on the other hand slightly saddened that the GPU industry might be stuck in limbo, at least on the high end. Apparently the GTX 750 ti is a steal at $150 while featuring the new Maxwell architecture.

- FRPLG
Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #60
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

To ThatGuy or anyone versed in Linux. I'm curious is there a more "Windows like" way to install stuff in Linux. Its starting to feel weird being more comfortable installing programs and applications from the terminal.

I'm currently studying for RHCSA certification so I'm working with CentOS and ScientficLinux using VirtualBox but in an attempt to get more comfortable with the system I've decided to kind of veer off from the textbook stuff from time to time and play around with more practical and everyday stuff like browsers, music players, etc. And even though the terminal instructions are almost always there and simply a matter or copy and paste it just feels weird getting error messages when I try and do it the GUI way.

The best way to describe it is I somehow learned how to speak Chinese while forgetting how to speak English.

Heck even when I was using Linux-Mint as a dual boot on my desktop it seemed I was basically installing everything from the terminal. Most notably Steam, VLC, Nvidia drivers, Chrome, etc. I seem to remember installing every base program from the terminal. Sure its kind of cool to type
'yum install nano' [sudo apt-get nano if you use Ubuntu]
and have it go to work but usually its more along the lines of:

wget 'www.thisisa-reallyweird-and-random-linktopOfYourHead-4848.au.org.3838.com

yum update
yum install calculator

So just to clarify its not that I'm having trouble installing things from a terminal. Quite the opposite. Its just that I seem to be failing a LOT when trying to install things from the traditional desktop.

- FRPLG