Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

DirecTV vs. cable

Parking Lot

Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #46
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: DirecTV vs. cable

Yo, a young saleslady for Verizon showed up at my house last night asking if we were satisfied with the FiOS phone and internet service we have, and asking why we hadn't yet made the switch to FiOS TV.

I said, in so many words, BECAUSE I AIN'T MISSIN MY SKINS! I need DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket and won't give it up.

To which she then said that starting in 09 Verizon would be carrying the Sunday Ticket. Has anybody else heard this? I'm going to call Verizon today, because if I can bundle all my services to save some cash, AND still get the Skins, I'm on board. Just wondering if you guys heard about that.

Sorry if this is a dup discussion, I'm between meetings and can't take the time to read thru the thread.

Advertisements
Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #47
saden1
MVP

I would be very skeptical Schneed. No way DirectTV sub-licenses NFL Ticket considering that's their fishing rod for their other TV services. I had a Comcast rep tell me that crap before and I quickly realized NFL Network != NFL Ticket. Those reps will say anything to get you in the door. Truth be damned, they get paid for signing you up.

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 02-11-2009 at 11:24 AM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #48
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

What saden said. The rep, intentionally or unintentionally, was most likely talking about NFL Network or maybe even the MLB package
Old 02-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #49
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Schneed -- it seems every company is going for the ticket. Ive heard that every company is going to be bidding hard for it -- what I don't understand is why the NFL doesn't let every cable provider have the ticket, and take a flat fee from each Sunday Ticket sold. Each provider can do different things, as long as they give every NFL game that week.

Edit: Did some quick reading, it looks as if Verizon may be in the process of buying DirectTV -- so perhaps this isn't too far off...
Old 02-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #50
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Yo, a young saleslady for Verizon showed up at my house last night asking if we were satisfied with the FiOS phone and internet service we have, and asking why we hadn't yet made the switch to FiOS TV.

I said, in so many words, BECAUSE I AIN'T MISSIN MY SKINS! I need DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket and won't give it up.

To which she then said that starting in 09 Verizon would be carrying the Sunday Ticket. Has anybody else heard this? I'm going to call Verizon today, because if I can bundle all my services to save some cash, AND still get the Skins, I'm on board. Just wondering if you guys heard about that.

Sorry if this is a dup discussion, I'm between meetings and can't take the time to read thru the thread.
DirecTV has exclusive rights through the 2010 season.

DirecTV Extends NFL Contract - 11/22/2004 - TWICE
Old 02-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #51
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Schneed -- it seems every company is going for the ticket. Ive heard that every company is going to be bidding hard for it -- what I don't understand is why the NFL doesn't let every cable provider have the ticket, and take a flat fee from each Sunday Ticket sold. Each provider can do different things, as long as they give every NFL game that week.

Edit: Did some quick reading, it looks as if Verizon may be in the process of buying DirectTV -- so perhaps this isn't too far off...
That's interesting, where did you see that?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #52
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Daseal,

Where did you see Verizon is in the process of buying DirecTV?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #53
Schneed10
A Dude

You guys were right, my wife just called Verizon and was told that they carry the NFL Network but not the Sunday Ticket.

Consider that idea squashed!

Don't tell the NFL or the networks, but I'd pay almost any price to be able to get the Skins on Sundays. They could charge $1000 for the ticket and I'd pay it. Seriously.

I told my wife when we got married, I'm capable of living very humbly and would prefer to do so in most aspects, I just need two things: the freedom to buy steaks and beer when I choose and the Redskins on Sundays. If I have those things I'm good.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #54
MTK
\m/

Just to reiterate, I am freaking dieing right now with no NFLN. That's always my go to channel when nothing else is on. Now I'm going to miss the combine coverage too. Ugh I'm pissed.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #55
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Just to reiterate, I am freaking dieing right now with no NFLN. That's always my go to channel when nothing else is on. Now I'm going to miss the combine coverage too. Ugh I'm pissed.
Perhaps we could start a "Combine" game day thread for you?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #56
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
So basically this statement is false. OK.
Yes I was incorrect. I forgot that you could send a Digital signal through an over the air broadcast. It is a practice that has not used in the private sector until recently. That's part of the reason why they had to push the shutoff date.

You guys were granted an extra half year according to this link. Read "Analog Shutoff"
High-definition television in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by KLHJ2; 02-11-2009 at 08:24 PM.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #57
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

There are some oddities about Verizon/DTV -- Verizon | - About DIRECTV for instance.

This guy does a good rundown of DTV vs FIoS -- he has both in his house. DirecTV vs. Verizon FIOS - SatelliteGuys.US

It's weird -- they seem to have some sort of alliance, I'm not sure how the laws work -- could DTV share Sunday Ticket with Verizon without opening it up to all other cable providers? Or in order to keep the contract has to stay exclusive to DTV?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #58
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Daseal, you may be confusing Verizon FiOS with the whole Verizon company. This is saying that if you get Verizon phone and internet you could bundle it with DirecTV. I had something similar with AT&T, where I had their phone and internet service and DirecTV. But if I had gotten AT&T U-Verse as my tv service instead of DirecTV then I wouldn't get Sunday Ticket.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #59
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post

Actualy I just canceled it. Other then the reg season games they broadcast in season I have no use for it. I sometimes watch it at the gym but rarely.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #60
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Daseal, you may be confusing Verizon FiOS with the whole Verizon company. This is saying that if you get Verizon phone and internet you could bundle it with DirecTV. I had something similar with AT&T, where I had their phone and internet service and DirecTV. But if I had gotten AT&T U-Verse as my tv service instead of DirecTV then I wouldn't get Sunday Ticket.
Yeah that's what it is. They just bundle their services.