Thumbs down 36 23.23%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #46
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Re: Redskins Sign Larry Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I would have rather had LT because he's a leader and puts Football first. Don't start jocking LJ just because he's a skin now. We were all dogging him when he threw his Bitch fit the last 2 yrs in KC. And as far as Cp goes he's a way better back than LJ, Portis actually blocks and can Pass Catch aswell.
Was that an "is" or a "was"? BTW, Betts was always the better pass catcher on the team.

Thing is about LT, is that there's no hope for him now. 3.3 avg on a team with an excellent passing attack. Not good. If we need a motivator, he should be hired as a coach and not waste a roster spot.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #47
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
Now all we have to do is draft Blount and we will have three tools in the shed!
I know right! Maybe Blount will go over the G-men's sideline and sucker punch Coughlin, back up real quick, and scream "you want some of this old man!"
Old 03-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #48
12thMan
MVP

I'm more than okay with this signing. LJ is a D.C. native (Waldorf) and grew up a Skins fan. On his worst day he's better than Rock and Betts. He missed a good portion of 2007 with a foot injury, but other than that he's proven to be durable for the most part.

I like the move over Willie Parker or LT, both of which are still without a contract.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #49
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
The reactions to this pick up have been all over the place.
It is still so early in the offseason. There is a good chance Larry Johnson will not even make our final roster. This draft is deep in the RB position. Even if we draft only one RB, there will be some undrafted rookies that will get signed. Plus there is the final camp cuts from other teams that always has a talented RB or two.
3 years, $12 million means he's going to be on the roster, book it. If we draft a back early (Best or Gerhart in the 2nd) then it will likely be Portis who is let go, not Johnson. Why? Shanahan already let Portis go once and that was when he was a 24 year old coming off of back to back 1500 yard seasons. Do you think he'd hesitate now?

As for the move, I am lukewarm on it. I think Johnson's got a little left in the tank and has motivation to try to regain his prior form. He's 30 but not nearly as many miles on him as Portis, LT, even Thomas Jones. How he fits into a one cut and go system remains to be seen though.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #50
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Yeah I hear you. I mean we of course don't know who else is doing what off the field that we just don't hear about. So for all we know we're already cheering for these type of people.

Anyhow, as we've talked about before Shanahan is well known for making at least a couple of "I can't believe he just did that moves" seemingly every year. Whether it's Maurice Clarett...or Larry Johnson
If TO can continue landing contracts there can't be an exception anywhere anymore for anyone.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #51
12thMan
MVP

Oh, yeah it matters if the guy grew up liking the team. Especially since he played for a perennial loser in Kansas City.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #52
Player_HTTR
Special Teams

I don't get the LT a leader thing. Just a few years ago he was bashed up and down for leaving on his helmet while on the sidelines. He does seem to be a great guy and I never gave too much credence to what the media was saying, because as a competitor not being able to compete would lead to that sort of behavior, but a leader puts that aside and leads.

Oh yeah I am ok with this signing as a Portis 2.0. Portis goes down we haven't lost anything. On the other hand I don't think we have gained anything. I hope he proves me wrong.
Player_HTTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #53
rbanerjee23
The Starter

whatever, even at average I think he's better than betts so I see this as an upgrade

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #54
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
3 years, $12 million means he's going to be on the roster, book it. If we draft a back early (Best or Gerhart in the 2nd) then it will likely be Portis who is let go, not Johnson. Why? Shanahan already let Portis go once and that was when he was a 24 year old coming off of back to back 1500 yard seasons. Do you think he'd hesitate now?

As for the move, I am lukewarm on it. I think Johnson's got a little left in the tank and has motivation to try to regain his prior form. He's 30 but not nearly as many miles on him as Portis, LT, even Thomas Jones. How he fits into a one cut and go system remains to be seen though.

This is the best point yet. He doesn't have the same milage as the other 30 year old running backs. He's missed a number of games due to suspension(s) and played a limited role in Cincy last year.

Here's a snap shot of their stats over the years.

Larry Johnson

G Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD
82 1,421 17.3 6,219 4.4 75.8 55 65

Clinton Portis

108 2,176 20.1 9,696 4.5 89.8 73 78

LaDainian Tomlinson

141 2,880 20.4 12,490 4.3 88.6 138
Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #55
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

I think he could be the next Cedric Benson type aquisition.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #56
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
whatever, even at average I think he's better than betts so I see this as an upgrade
what he said

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #57
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post

So they gave him the $12m up front? I did not think so. Book nothing.
Is there any guaranteed money in this deal? I would be curious to find out. Could not find any more detail on the deal other than what you said.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #58
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Which young hungry player?
Draft one...look around and ye shall also find one somewhere. Johnson just reminds me of Shawn Alexander.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #59
GTripp0012
Living Legend

The practical guarentee, I believe is 3.5 million. Which is also (again, I think) the amount that is accrued in the first year of the deal. Most of the contract is escalators, though I have not heard how likely he is to hit any of them.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #60
dirtythirty
Camp Scrub

I think is a great signing. We all know Portis is not going to last the whole season. Now we have a backup better than a lot of teams #1. Hopefully he will stay out of trouble off the field. I like this signing better than Parker and LT.