Computer Help!!!!

Parking Lot

Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #46
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: Computer Help!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I have a question which is about my office computer. They are about 7 months old now and I keep getting these up date notices in the bottom right of my screen. If its software I have, should I load the updates? So far I have been just closing them but the other day I started to wonder if that's something I should be loading. I've heard all the updates can really slow down your computer. I guess I could call the suport number as I have hours of free support when I purchased them and I think we have used like 5 minutes. All of my business is done on web based applications so I probably purchased way more computer then I needed. My goal this year was to learn more about computers and so far I have learned how to use the multi function printer, scanner, etc... so we can send stuff out in different ways. Next is to learn how to scane in paper work and save it instead of files for ever customer.
what updates are we talking about? windows updates? a program that tries to update software to all of your peripherals and programs or what?

updates don't slow down your computer by default, I'm not really sure what's meant by that

what browser do you use since most of your stuff is on web apps? so much of that was done for IE6
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #47
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Guess not here's the message I'm getting:

Virus or unwanted program 'BAT/Agent.148 [virus]'
detected in file 'C:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP957\A0084210.bat.
Action performed: Deny access
reminds me of smitfraud, though I won't say that it's that

BleepingComputer.com > Infected With....trojan.winreg.qoologic ...trojan.bat.agent.ak
Old 02-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #48
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

So I am trying to troubleshoot a windows xp machine over the phone, and my son(12) is telling me that it just keeps rebooting to the screen for going into safe mode. I have had him try to go to each option, safe mode, w/network support, last known good, and regular, but it never gets through to windows. Any ideas out there on why?
My younger son had been playing an old cd game, and when the 12 y.o. tried to escape out of it, the system fritzed..

I really appreciate any and all ideas/suggestions.

edit: none of the function keys are stuck
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #49
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
So I am trying to troubleshoot a windows xp machine over the phone, and my son(12) is telling me that it just keeps rebooting to the screen for going into safe mode. I have had him try to go to each option, safe mode, w/network support, last known good, and regular, but it never gets through to windows. Any ideas out there on why?
My younger son had been playing an old cd game, and when the 12 y.o. tried to escape out of it, the system fritzed..

I really appreciate any and all ideas/suggestions.

edit: none of the function keys are stuck
how far along does it get? to the loading bar screen?

you can do a windows repair if you have the disk or use a boot disk if you don't.. any info on what the computer did when it "fritzed?"

though unlikely due to it messing up after the game exit and not after a restart, make sure that the disk isn't still in, just in case it's set to boot from cd and for some reason isn't moving to the next device

what OS?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #50
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Hard drive crash would be my guess if it's not giving a STOP code just before it tries to boot to Windows. The blue screen will flash for just a second, unless you hit F5 and check the "pause during errors message" (or whatever it says). The STOP code will be something like 0x000000024 and then some numbers in parentheses.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #51
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I am getting my info from a 12 year old, so hard to pin down some facts. It doesn't stop at the same point each time. It has gotten as far as the identity selection screen a couple of times, but then restarts. I didn't ask about the blue screen of death, I will tonight.

It's an XP box. Justin said that the screen went fuzzy when he escaped out of the game and then windows restarted.

The cd was not in the drive. All the cables are connected, and no function keys are stuck

I doubt they have the windows repair disk or any boot disk at all.

Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #52
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
Hard drive crash would be my guess if it's not giving a STOP code just before it tries to boot to Windows. The blue screen will flash for just a second, unless you hit F5 and check the "pause during errors message" (or whatever it says). The STOP code will be something like 0x000000024 and then some numbers in parentheses.
I agree with that too. It's most likely some kind of hardware failure. Sounds a lot like bad RAM too.

Definitely (if you can) find the restore disk and tell them to put it in and make it to the "Press R to repair" screen NOT Windows Recovery Console and that way they could at least boot the machine without taking the hard drive out and back up their stuff.

Just an FYI, if people are ever willing to pay shipping back and forth, I'm glad to fix up any broken/problematic machines that people have. Just a way to pay it forward..
Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #53
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I agree with that too. It's most likely some kind of hardware failure. Sounds a lot like bad RAM too.

Definitely (if you can) find the restore disk and tell them to put it in and make it to the "Press R to repair" screen NOT Windows Recovery Console and that way they could at least boot the machine without taking the hard drive out and back up their stuff.

Just an FYI, if people are ever willing to pay shipping back and forth, I'm glad to fix up any broken/problematic machines that people have. Just a way to pay it forward..
Thanks, I just had them ship another computer to me in order to fix it for them, and upgrade ram etc. Just didn't want to do it again

I am guessing that the computer that broke now is to old to be worth shipping/fixing/reshipping.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #54
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I would say it's probably good if you put another drive in it and preloaded XP back on it.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #55
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I would say it's probably good if you put another drive in it and preloaded XP back on it.
I was thinking to get them an Atom processor machine with XP, think i saw one at Best buy, really not very powerful but was a pretty reasonable price, maybe 150-180? don't know though. I don't have a copy of xp to preload on to a new hard disk...
Old 03-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #56
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I was thinking to get them an Atom processor machine with XP, think i saw one at Best buy, really not very powerful but was a pretty reasonable price, maybe 150-180? don't know though. I don't have a copy of xp to preload on to a new hard disk...
I DO have this. I made a CD loaded with all windows drivers and SP3 so it's an autoinstall (if needed).

We deploy a lot of netbooks here with the Atom processor and people are happy for about 2 months then they're like, "Wow, I wish this was faster." If you check out Newegg there are loads of awesome laptops for just a couple hundred bucks more.