Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Chance encounters with prominent sports figures?

Parking Lot

Old 10-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #46
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: Chance encounters with prominent sports figures?

My brother played basketball with John Smoltz's kid so I saw him from afar. Chris Chandler gave a pregame speech to my high schools football team, I shamelessly asked for his autograph after. Met Art Monk at his football camp among other players like Edwin Mulitalo. Jessie Tuggle's son went to my high school a year or two after I graduated and became a decent QB prospect eventually getting a scholarship to Boston College so I occasionally saw him at games.

When I was in Middle School my Dad found out that his former teammate (Buzz Braman the shot doctor) was a shooting coach for the Bullets so I got to meet Chris Webber, Juwan Howard, George Murehsan, and Tim Legler at a local middle school where they were practicing. Only reason I was partly hoping for the Heat to win a title last year was because Juwan Howard was so nice to me when I met him as a kid.

I think I might have met Ozzie Gullien at a fan day but I'm not totally sure about that one.

Then again I'm pretty sure that a lot of these don't qualify as chance encounters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
met a few. met Barkley when the sixers trained here. nicest guy in the world. met Dr J at hersheypark doing an coke promo. super nice. sat next to Hannah Storm on a plane a couple of years ago going to Fla. really quiet. mey Jay Schroeder at a local mall signing autographs. talked to him a while
Man everyone freaking runs into Barkley except me. Even my friends got to shake hands with him at a nightclub in downtown Atlanta. And they all say the same thing, that he's the nicest guy in the world.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 10-19-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #47
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I had lunch with Matt Millen and Herm Edwards yesterday...only one of us won a championship as a head coach. (4th/5th grade youth hockey!)

But, of course, that's not a chance encounter. That's just work.

But I am interested in SFRedskins story about running into Joe Montana today
Old 10-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #48
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I had lunch with Matt Millen and Herm Edwards yesterday...only one of us won a championship as a head coach. (4th/5th grade youth hockey!)

But, of course, that's not a chance encounter. That's just work.

But I am interested in SFRedskins story about running into Joe Montana today

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #49
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Did you get a good chance to see what kind of shape he was in? I'm asking because a guy I work with says his next door neighbor is a realtor that is trying to sell one of Clinton Portis' properties in Ashburn, it was a small apartment or condo of some kind for when he was not staying in his mansion. I asked him if he ever saw CP at the property when he was there, and he said "oh yeah" and I asked him what he looked like in real life. "Oh, you'd never know he was a football player if you didn't watch the NFL"

I was told he really put the weight back on since his last tryout in the NFL, which was almost a month ago. Its kind of sad because the only guy i knew who could baloon up that fast was jamarcus russell.

Portis, who was 220-230 last season, allegedly balooned as high as in the 280's this off-season, before settling down to around 250 when he worked out with the titans last month....still sad
Yeah he looked softer.. have seen him in person before.. darker too so I'm assuming he's been mostly in Miami
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote