Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

QB needy teams

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #46
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Re: QB needy teams

the way its looking now, the colts will get 1st pick, take luck, and get three 1st rounders for manning.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #47
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'm hoping the Rams gets the first pick, and we can make a push for Bradford
That would be pretty crazy. If there was any hint that Bradford could be available, you'd have to think we'd push hard for him.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #48
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Now that we're 6 weeks into the season and we have an ok idea of who the bad teams are and who the good teams are, lets take a look at who might be interested in upgrading at quarterback next year. I'll start by listing all the teams with losing or .500 records at this point.

Winless
Colts - we can already assume if they end up with the first shot at Luck, they'll take him. And even if he isn't available, they might pick a qb anyways. So yes, they'll prob. look at qbs in the draft this year.
Rams - No, def. wouldn't take a qb.
Dolphins - yes, definitely would be interested in a qb. With a new head coach probably on his way in he'd def. want a qb he could mold in his image.

1 win teams -
Jags - no, don't think they'd take a qb. Too many holes on that team, even if they did think there was a qb out there better than Gabbert, which is doubtful.
Vikings - again, same thing here. Too many holes, already have Ponder, probably going to stick with him especially if he flashes potential for the rest of the season.
Panthers - nope. Need defensive help more than anything.
Broncos - hard call here. I don't think Fox likes Tebow but if Tebow plays well for the rest of the season it'd be hard to see them going qb here, especially since the rest of the team needs help.
Cards - another tough call. Kolb obviously isn't working out, and I have no idea if Whisenhunt is on a short leash or not. I'll say possibly.

2 win teams -
Chiefs - Haley looks like a lame duck coach, but they might keep him if he turns it around. Cassel hasn't played nearly as good this year as he did last year, so if a new coach comes in he might want a new qb. Possibly for this team too.
Browns - idk, tough call here. I don't know too much about how Shurmur and Holmgren feel about McCoy. Possibly?
Seahawks - I think we can all assume if they were in position to take an elite qb, they'd take him. Especially with Carroll's connections to a guy like Matt Barkley.
Cowboys - idk here either. Doubtful, but you never know. Another up and down year for Romo, or another crushing playoff loss, and they just might go younger. Again, doubtful imo, but it's hard to get a read here.
Eagles - do I really need to include them? I think they'll get things on the right track this season, because of their season saving win last week (thanks again, Skins), and they'd probably be wiser to invest in offensive line or linebackers. Vick has played up and down ball this year but he's the least of their problems.

.500 teams
Falcons - no. Just no.
Texans - maybe? Schaub certainly isn't their biggest problem. Doubtful but you never know, especially if Kubiak is let go if they go on a downward spiral from here on out.
Jets - The Sanchize certainly hasn't played up to his draft status this year, but doubtful here too.
Bears - nah, don't see it happening. QB isn't a need.

So I'll sum it up now.

Teams that need qbs:
Colts, Dolphins

Possibly:
Broncos, Cardinals, Chiefs, Browns, Seahawks

Possibly, but doubtful:
Cowboys, Texans

Leaning toward a heavy no:
Rams, Jaguars, Vikings, Panthers, Eagles, Falcons, Jets, Bears.

This is a very preliminary list, obviously there's 11 weeks left to go, anything can happen, some qb's will play poorly, some will fall out of favor, etc. But some of these qb holes will be filled through free agency, some through trades, and some through the draft. I'm definitely in favor of giving up a few picks if it means we get our guy for the next decade. But I think we should definitely go the draft route. I think I'll bump this thread once the season is over and we have a much more clear idea of draft order and who might want a qb.

Good analysis...

I might disagree with you about the Jags and Blaine Gabbert. He has looked VERY RAW on the field and if he gets a dozen starts this year and still looks the way he does now, the Jags - - with a new coach next year almost assuredly - - might want to play in the QB lottery again.

Kolb is not really the problem in Arizona. The OL there is a sieve and Kolb's game is not scrambling - - whech is what he has to do in order to stay alive.

I think that the Chiefs, Browns and Seahawks are more "probably" than "possibly".
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #49
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
So lets say Denver does want to draft a new QB.
Would you trade Orakpo for Tebow?

(not my idea but it got my attention when I first heard it)
Hell NO!

There is not enough Irish Whiskey in the world to get me so drunk I'd agree to that trade...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #50
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
I'm hoping the Rams gets the first pick, and we can make a push for Bradford
Why not make a push for Luck? They would likely be interested in trading the #1 pick for a boatload of picks. Whether its Bradford or LUck, the price will be crazy, but I think it'd be worth it to give up a lot to get Luck.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #51
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Why not make a push for Luck? They would likely be interested in trading the #1 pick for a boatload of picks. Whether its Bradford or LUck, the price will be crazy, but I think it'd be worth it to give up a lot to get Luck.
Well, if they want to trade Luck then sure let's go after him. I would think they'd be more inclined to move Bradford. For a few reasons, not least of which is compared to when Bradford was the no. 1 pick Luck's contract is going to be so much more manageable for the Rams. If the choice is keep Luck over Bradford at a fraction of the price, I think they take that.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #52
saden1
MVP

The #1 QB on my list is Boise State's Kellen Moore....he is sick accurate and is never ruffled. He is NFL ready right now and teams seem shy about taking him in the first round.

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 10-19-2011 at 03:07 PM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #53
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
Well, if they want to trade Luck then sure let's go after him. I would think they'd be more inclined to move Bradford. For a few reasons, not least of which is compared to when Bradford was the no. 1 pick Luck's contract is going to be so much more manageable for the Rams. If the choice is keep Luck over Bradford at a fraction of the price, I think they take that.
Would most of that money get charged to the Rams anyway? I thought all guarenteed money would be the rams responsibly. Although, I would be reel happy with Bradford.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #54
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
good point, hadn't thought about that way much. But in considering that, this will be the first test of the new cba; in recent years most teams couldn't trade out of the #1 pick if they wanted to because the cost was too high. The 2012 draft might bring a no. of trades by teams looking to get into the top 10 since the guranteed $ isn't as big.

I realize in recent years past there hasn't been a prospect so widely regarded as #1 like Luck is. For those two reasons - Luck & less $ for #1 -the team w/the #1 pick could make a H. Walker type deal this year.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #55
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
Would most of that money get charged to the Rams anyway? I thought all guarenteed money would be the rams responsibly. Although, I would be reel happy with Bradford.
I'm not totally sure on the rules, but I think the Redskins would be more than willing to absorb some of that cost
Old 10-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #56
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
The #1 QB on my list is Boise State's Kellen Moore....he is sick accurate and is never ruffled. He is NFL ready right now and teams seem shy about taking him in the first round.
I had been dismissive of him, listening to everyone say he's too small and plays against weak competition. But I've watched a lot of his, and others, games/highlights lately. And I definitely agree. He doesn't have a cannon for an arm, but beside that dude is way underappreciated for the next level.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #57
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Km does look awesome , he had actually found a website while in highschool that had BSU' plays . When he met with BSU coaches , they couldn't understand how he knew the plays , then he told them he had all of their plays downloaded , which of course woke them up to privacy . He came right in and became a leader . Funny thing is that most of the "experts " seem to see him as a 4th- 5th rd pick ?I would love to grab him in rd 2 . I believe we should take the best P/A , and would be shocked if we do not take a qb in either rd 1 or 2 .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #58
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
I'm not totally sure on the rules, but I think the Redskins would be more than willing to absorb some of that cost
Hey I would be willing to thow in some money
Old 10-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #59
saden1
MVP

They list Moore as 6-1 which means he is barely 6 feet. Living in the NW you get to see him play a lot, and sure, he plays against weak competition but he seems to destroy the weak and tough competition. He is truly amazing...I mean, how many teams out there have their QB run double option screen and a pro style offense? No many I tell you that. He is worthy of being drafted in the 1st round but I am not sure someone will grab him.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #60
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Does anyone on think Mat Flynn is the answer. That is, as long as Beck does not come in and light it up.