The 10 Commandments For Drinking Like A Man

Parking Lot

Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #46
jdlea
Playmaker

Re: The 10 Commandments For Drinking Like A Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
One can appreciate all forms of beer, nothing wrong with that even a cheap beer has it's place. But a good beer and a cheap 40 oz are simply two completely different things. Much like comparing wine to a wine cooler or zima, they're not even in the same ballpark.

Obviously if you don't drink wine you can't appreciate it. I was once a hater so I can relate, but once I found some wines that I actually liked I was like ok, I get it now.
This. If you're going to make sweeping generalizations about wine, you should probably try some and see what you might like. Someone referred to wine as fruity, I don't drink fruity tasting wine. However, I used to hate on wine too until I found a lot of wines that I enjoy drinking.

Also, wine generally goes better with a lot of the foods I like to eat than beer that I enjoy drinking does.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #47
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
What about the idea that a sweet white wine is girlie but a stout dry red wine is manly?
Seems to me like if it tastes bad and is an "acquired" taste, that somehow makes it more manly.

That seems to go for beers, wine, liquor, etc.

I'm not going to lie... I buy Bud Light when I want to drink to get drunk. My wife buys two buck Chuck when we want to get drunk and I buy Jim Beam and mix it with Diet Coke when I want liquor.

That's not to say I don't absolutely love a microbrew or Maker's on the rocks, but I got no shame in what I enjoy normally.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #48
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
As a drinking snob I concur with this list, with a few qualifications.

1. All whiskey is not equal. Real men have a whiskey palate sophisticated enough to distinguish between a single malt and Dewar's.
2. Real men must appreciate all non-mass-produced beer. Drinking Bud Light is neither sophisticated nor manly. I guess it's ok at a baseball game, but it shouldn't be in your fridge.
3. Real drinkers have figured out that most wine connoisseurs are full of shit (Why More Expensive Wine Tastes Better - Alpha Consumer (usnews.com)). Yet we are thrilled when we meet one of the few who is not.
4. Dry gin martini is the coolest drink ever. If you don't like it you are a sucker. Also, martini does not refer to the shape of a glass, so don't serve some goofy cocktail in a martini looking glass and slap tini on the end of the name and think you are fooling anyone. A martini is what it is, like oxygen or a reuben. Gin, a little vermouth, and a garnish. That's it. HL Mencken once called the martini the only American invention as perfect as the sonnet so make sure to keep it traditional.
5. Neat cognac is great.
6. Scotch is the greatest human invention, but you should be able to roll with straight bourbon too when the situation calls for it.
I'm with you on #4 except I prefer a vodka martini. I love a good gin & tonic, but in my martini I love vodka. And it definitely has to be a traditional martini. The "appletini or chocotini" crap they have at places like Friday's doesn't count.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #49
Schneed10
A Dude

The question isn't whether or not you guys, or anybody, enjoys wine. The question is whether it's manly. The definition of manly isn't based on acquired taste or whatever, it's best defined as the opposite of what women like. You don't often see women drinking whiskey, therefore it is the manliest of drinks.

As with everything in life, everything is relative:

Whiskey (in its various forms) is the manliest of drinks. Beer is a little less manly, because women will drink it but tend to go for something else.

Wine is not as manly as those because women go for it. But the right wine can be more manly than an Appletini or a fuzzy navel.

Just because you're a man, and you like it, doesn't make it a manly drink!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #50
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Gin is definitely love/hate. I think it tastes like pine needles.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #51
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
The question isn't whether or not you guys, or anybody, enjoys wine. The question is whether it's manly. The definition of manly isn't based on acquired taste or whatever, it's best defined as the opposite of what women like. You don't often see women drinking whiskey, therefore it is the manliest of drinks.

As with everything in life, everything is relative:

Whiskey (in its various forms) is the manliest of drinks. Beer is a little less manly, because women will drink it but tend to go for something else.

Wine is not as manly as those because women go for it. But the right wine can be more manly than an Appletini or a fuzzy navel.

Just because you're a man, and you like it, doesn't make it a manly drink!
I was unaware that the definition of manly was "the opposite of what women like." I suppose, given that definition, that it wouldn't be manly, however we don't necessarily agree.

I can argue that drinking "like a man" can also mean not drinking like an 18 year old. People who drink Jack Daniel's don't come off as manly to me, they come off as people with no palate who don't know what the hell a good whiskey should taste like. IMO, if you're not drinking single malt Scotch, you're pretty much wasting your time, but that's just my opinion, I don't claim that "it's not manly to drink shitty Whiskey."

Basically, I think drinking "like a man" also means drinking like an adult which often times means drinking in moderation and having some sort of knowledge about what you're drinking. I drink Miller Lite pretty often, at no point in time do I ever think "this is a man's drink," so to make a sweeping generalization like, "beer is a manly drink" is pretty bad logic, so is "wine, by definition, is not manly."
Old 03-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #52
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post

X2 or a pine comb I hate that stuff!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #53
FRPLG
MVP

Just because it is called a Wine Cooler does not make it anything like wine. Wine coolers are generally malt alcohol anyways. NOT WINE.

All wine is not created equal just as beer is not also. There are queer beers as there are queer wines.

Knowing something about wine and drinking good ones seems pretty damn manly to me. Better than slogging down crap Bud/Miller/Coors and acting like a donkey about it. If manliness requires you to drink stuff that tastes like butthole then our gender has a problem. I consider beer drinking and wine drinking on equal footing. Drink good ones and know WTF you're doing or you're an idiot. Being an idiot is not manly.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #54
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Just because it is called a Wine Cooler does not make it anything like wine. Wine coolers are generally malt alcohol anyways. NOT WINE.

All wine is not created equal just as beer is not also. There are queer beers as there are queer wines.

Knowing something about wine and drinking good ones seems pretty damn manly to me. Better than slogging down crap Bud/Miller/Coors and acting like a donkey about it. If manliness requires you to drink stuff that tastes like butthole then our gender has a problem. I consider beer drinking and wine drinking on equal footing. Drink good ones and know WTF you're doing or you're an idiot. Being an idiot is not manly.
That's exactly the same way I feel about the subject
Old 03-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #55
firstdown
Living Legend

Went to a party this weekend and a guy had a gas powered blender and was making margarita's for the ladies. Not sure if you use one of these you cannot void out the frozen drink rule. Makes my battery powered blender look gay.
On The Edge Marketing Gas Powered Blender - 2 Stroke - Inside Home - Pool Supplies
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #56
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post

Being an idiot and being manly are not mutually exclusive, that's where your logic falls apart. Men do stupid shit all the time, drag racing hot rods on the street is downright moronic because of the danger involved (and something I'd never condone in a million years). But it's manly.

Just because it's macho doesn't make it a good thing to do. And just because something's a good or smart thing to do, doesn't make it manly.

This is a list of manly drinking rules, not a list of expert drinking rules.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #57
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Drink what ever you want. Just drink and have a good time. Life is too short to drink stuff you don't like just because someone perceives it as not manly.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #58
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Not far off. Gin is made from juniper.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #59
BringBackJoeT
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
As a drinking snob I concur with this list, with a few qualifications.

1. All whiskey is not equal. Real men have a whiskey palate sophisticated enough to distinguish between a single malt and Dewar's.
2. Real men must appreciate all non-mass-produced beer. Drinking Bud Light is neither sophisticated nor manly. I guess it's ok at a baseball game, but it shouldn't be in your fridge.
3. Real drinkers have figured out that most wine connoisseurs are full of shit (Why More Expensive Wine Tastes Better - Alpha Consumer (usnews.com)). Yet we are thrilled when we meet one of the few who is not.
4. Dry gin martini is the coolest drink ever. If you don't like it you are a sucker. Also, martini does not refer to the shape of a glass, so don't serve some goofy cocktail in a martini looking glass and slap tini on the end of the name and think you are fooling anyone. A martini is what it is, like oxygen or a reuben. Gin, a little vermouth, and a garnish. That's it. HL Mencken once called the martini the only American invention as perfect as the sonnet so make sure to keep it traditional.
5. Neat cognac is great.
6. Scotch is the greatest human invention, but you should be able to roll with straight bourbon too when the situation calls for it.
Well, reverse the order of "scotch" and "bourbon" in this sentence, and you have my own position. I know you might say that bourbon lovers are suckers for the sweeter taste, but hey, I can't help it--I love the stuff.

Favorites include Baker's, the Van Winkle 12 year old, the hard-to-find Rock Hill Farms, and my stand-by, Knob Creek. Not that anybody asked or cares, but I'm just throwing it out there.

I would like, however, to invite Scotch suggestions, because I'm still in the "when the situation calls for it" camp.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #60
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Drink what ever you want. Just drink and have a good time. Life is too short to drink stuff you don't like just because someone perceives it as not manly.
True.

This is a fun topic to debate but in the end just drink up and have fun.

But... keep in mind if you are drinking something frozen that comes with a straw, umbrella, and fruit, someone in the room is having a laugh at your expense.