Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #46
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: Report: Shanahan in Talks with Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Yea right, at about 8 million a year for 5 years, there is, and Dan is going to be hands off, I say Shanahan, get's us to the next level, I am predicting Plaoff's next year, and maybe a division title..............
hell yeah i'm so excite'd i'm just throw'ing extra apostrophe's in every'where!

Advertisements
Old 12-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #47
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Jim Zorn is probably the only person who thinks he has a chance to return in any capacity. The notion that he would remain in a reduced role is absurd. Even if Zorn were open to the idea, there's no way ANY new HC would retain his predecessor on the staff. It would simply create too many awkward situations. The only part about this story that bothers me does deal with the rooney rule. I'm sure the skins will be in compliance with the letter of the rule, but they certainly arent in its spirit. It also bothers me that a minority coach would willingly allow himself to be manipulated by "interviewing" for a position they knew full well they had no chance of getting.

If I were a minority coach in the NFL, i would rather not have a rooney rule at all than one that allowed me to be manipulated and taken advantage of. Its cheap and degrading in my opinion. If the Skins or any team wants to hire a Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren, Jon Gruden, etc... then that's their right. but the reality is they're not going to give anyone else - regardless of race - serious consideration. the rooney rule turns decent men into pawns. its a complete sham and needs to be revised or done away with entirely.
Well said....I don't think you'll get much of an argument from anyone in regards to your assessment. "The Rooney Rule Is A Joke" Unfortunately teams have to give the impression that they are in total compliance.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #48
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Look, people are looking at Shanahan just as a coach, but also look at some of the players he's drafted the past few years, All Pro LT Ryan Clady, Jay Cutler, Eddie Royal,
Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler, Ryan Harris (starting RT), Elvis Dumervil, Domenik Hixon (now of the Giants), Dominique Foxworth, the late darrent williams, and DJ Williams. Thats from 2004 to 2008. Thats pretty damn good team of players if you ask me.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #49
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
No. You know what the F'ing issue is now? I keep hearing that the media have contacted the NFL and have been advised that the Redskins did satisfy the Rooney Rule several times over. The media has asked for the names of who was contacted and they were told they don't give out the names of contacted personel due to privacy issues.

Now the media is playing it that as the Skins did not make it known the job was available so they could interview whoever they wanted instead of interviewing well over qualified candidates. In other words some candidates who might have been better qualified did not get interviewed because they did not know the job was available to apply for.

Who the hell cares? The rule is in place saying they have to interview someone. It doesn't say they have to hire the best candidate. Last I knew the owners owned their teams and could interview whoever they wanted and hire whoever they wanted. Are we now going to put stipulations on owners as to who they can talk to and who they can hire? Who cares if there were more qualified candidates out there....perhaps Snyder didn't feel he could get along with them so he didn't interview them.

I think we all know what happened, but I think it's idiotic for the media to start complaining even after they have been told the team met the rule.
Exactly; this isn't the type of business that you put up a NOW HIRING sign and accept resumes. You interview who you invite, I haven't heard much complaining though, link?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #50
pg86
No new threads for you

So if he gets hired...Does he clean house with our players?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #51
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Look, people are looking at Shanahan just as a coach, but also look at some of the players he's drafted the past few years, All Pro LT Ryan Clady, Jay Cutler, Eddie Royal,
Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler, Ryan Harris (starting RT), Elvis Dumervil, Domenik Hixon (now of the Giants), Dominique Foxworth, the late darrent williams, and DJ Williams. Thats from 2004 to 2008. Thats pretty damn good team of players if you ask me.
If Snanahan becomes the next coach, I look for him to have a serious hand in that department.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #52
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47FAN View Post
how do we know zorn hasnt agreed to take lesser roll there for it opens the headcoaching job up. just a thought
I don't know about Zorn but there's no way I would take a demotion in the same organization. It's best to move on and find something else, maybe wherever Holmgren lands.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #53
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Florio has been saying this for months , that guy is usually always right on in his stories.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #54
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Great point. Shanahan is going to be hands on picking players. The more I hear Shanahan name, the more I like it. Cowboy fans around the office are pissed cause they all wanted Shanahan after Wide Phillips gets axed. Anybody have any ideas about the kind of D Cordinator he would bring in? I know Ill catch flak for this, but I hope Blache would stay or if not that Gray would be promoted.

He Gets Us
Old 12-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #55
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I think there is a big difference between having an issue with the Rooney Rule and having an issue with the media making a big deal out of it. If you have a problem with the latter, well deal with it. The media is going to dig up any shit on any team to get their headlines and that's a fact of life. Right now, none of the proponents of the Rooney Rule have said anything about the Redskins not sticking to the rule guidelines. All that has happened is that Mike Florio and other people are just digging up shit to make a story and that's it.

As far as the Rooney Rule, as many have said, it was put in place to give minority candidates (who otherwise may be overlooked) an opportunity to be exposed to the interview process. I don't think there's anything in the Rooney Rule that says that you have to hire a minority. I don't think the Rooney Rule is taking jobs away from white coaches and executives. And if teams are having "sham interviews" well, why do people bitch about that? It is up to the candidate to decide if they want to go through these interviews...and honestly, while it may suck interviewing in this situation, but it may give a minority candidate the opportunity to learn from this interview process.
R.I.P. #21
Old 12-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #56
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonandblack30 View Post
irrelevant
The reason I ask is some of the owners are much older than you and I.
They are from an era where discriminating because of race or religion was discreetly being done and behind closed doors was acceptable. The attitude was not necessarily I hate minorities, it was more an attitude of 'I will never have a black GM or coach or QB.' There are certain high visibility/high profile positions that were not acceptable to have a minority.
I remember all the death threats QB Major Harris, the first successful QB at WVU was getting for playing QB. That was in the early 1980's. We are not talking about the 60's.
Depending on your age you may not have been around to see this and other situations just like this one.
Imagine the pressure and threats the Dean and Coach at WVU wer getting for playing a black QB?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #57
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I use to think that way about the Rooney Rule but you know what it gives you a chance. It is your 15 minutes of fame with Dan and if you can knock his socks off, you just might change his mind.

Buster Douglas would have never beaten Mike Tyson if he had not been given the chance to fight him.
Or as I said, give a minority coach or young executive the opportunity to get the interview experience. For instance, Morocco Brown may not have had a shot at the GM position...or maybe he would have...but he got the chance to interview with an NFL owner about the GM position.
R.I.P. #21
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #58
Coff
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg86 View Post
I get the feeling Jim knows where he's needed and its not the HC position plus dans got the money to retain him at a lower position lets be honest. Not just that can Jason take another system change hell does he even stay???

Money is a big issue here. Zorn has every reason not to accept a demontion if it means renegotiating his salary, which probably would since management would understand the problems that could be caused by having an assistanc coach get paid a head coach salary.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #59
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
Money is a big issue here. Zorn has every reason not to accept a demontion if it means renegotiating his salary, which probably would since management would understand the problems that could be caused by having an assistanc coach get paid a head coach salary.
Wouldn't he get paid though if he were to be fired?
R.I.P. #21
Old 12-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #60
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Rooney Rule=Equal Employment Opportunity Every job you apply to has this rule, so therefore same thing goes for the NFL.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Closed Thread