Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

A-Rod is red-hot

Other Sports

Old 04-22-2007, 11:28 PM   #46
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: A-Rod is red-hot

The general argument made against the cap is that it should be a free market and they're should be no minimum or maximum a team should be allowed to spend.

Maybe so, but that makes a lot more sense to me than revenue sharing where-as jsarno points out-you're punishing teams that have earned it. A lot of teams with lower payrolls keep their payrolls low not because they have no choice but because they know if they don't they'll no longer get money funneled down to them to the top teams.

This was a huge reason the Expos were dissolved and ulimately resurrected as the Washington Nationals. Top paying teams realized they were essentially covering the entire payroll of another team instead of spending money on their own teams.

Advertisements
Old 04-22-2007, 11:33 PM   #47
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
The general argument made against the cap is that it should be a free market and they're should be no minimum or maximum a team should be allowed to spend.

Maybe so, but that makes a lot more sense to me than revenue sharing where-as jsarno points out-you're punishing teams that have earned it. A lot of teams with lower payrolls keep their payrolls low not because they have no choice but because they know if they don't they'll no longer get money funneled down to them to the top teams.

This was a huge reason the Expos were dissolved and ulimately resurrected as the Washington Nationals. Top paying teams realized they were essentially covering the entire payroll of another team instead of spending money on their own teams.
But you hold the other teams accountable if there is a cap in place. If the royals made poor decisions, then so be it if there was a cap. If not...how can a team with say a 30 mil income and team salary compete with the likes of the Yankees that can spend 300 mil without losing a dime?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:36 PM   #48
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
But you hold the other teams accountable if there is a cap in place. If the royals made poor decisions, then so be it if there was a cap. If not...how can a team with say a 30 mil income and team salary compete with the likes of the Yankees that can spend 300 mil without losing a dime?
But teams like the Yankees do lose money while the Royals run a profit
Old 04-22-2007, 11:40 PM   #49
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
But teams like the Yankees do lose money while the Royals run a profit
I don't mean to sound rude, but you are incorrect. The Yankees have not been in the red for a REALLY long time. Part of that has to do with the YES network, but last year they made about 50 mil profit. FYI- they have made THE most profit every year for the past 6 years.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:47 PM   #50
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I don't mean to sound rude, but you are incorrect. The Yankees have not been in the red for a REALLY long time. Part of that has to do with the YES network, but last year they made about 50 mil profit. FYI- they have made THE most profit every year for the past 6 years.
Forbes: Yankees top franchise, but lost money - The Honolulu Advertiser - Hawaii's Newspaper

New York Yankees, Baseball Team Valuations - Forbes.com
Old 04-23-2007, 12:08 AM   #51
jsarno
Franchise Player

I found my stats in the magazine that shows that the Yanks made money, however, after looking closer, it was not counting the revenue sharing. So I apologize, you are correct. The Yanks are getting screwed by the revenue sharing rules, otherwise, they are hands down the most profitable team in MLB with their ridiculous salary...and btw, the reason they pay so much in luxury taxes is their own doing. If they actually dropped their salary, they would produce a profit.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:12 AM   #52
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I found my stats in the magazine that shows that the Yanks made money, however, after looking closer, it was not counting the revenue sharing. So I apologize, you are correct. The Yanks are getting screwed by the revenue sharing rules, otherwise, they are hands down the most profitable team in MLB with their ridiculous salary...and btw, the reason they pay so much in luxury taxes is their own doing. If they actually dropped their salary, they would produce a profit.
You're right though that the YES Network helps them, because as Forbes mentioned it helps them offset their on-field losses in an attempt to put the best team of players out there. And, as I've heard, the Yankees "save money" by cutting other expenses-such as firing secretaries, concession stand workers, and other assorted stadium employees.

It's a flawed system all around. But minor league baseball is fun
Old 04-23-2007, 12:22 AM   #53
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:

It's a flawed system all around. But minor league baseball is fun
I will absolutely agree with that. Like I said before, revenue sharing is horrible. I was against it when they passed it, and I am against it today. The players union helped pass that because that left their pockets full while they of course don't care what happens to the team.
The only logical answer is to get rid of "revenue sharing" and start a salary cap.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 AM   #54
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
First time in Sox history, 4 HRs in a row.

Last time this was done in the MLB was 40 years ago....wow...
No, the last time it was done in the AL was 40 years ago (or so). The last time it was done in MLB was last year by the Dodgers. It was the first time the Red Sox have ever done it.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #55
Monkeydad
Living Legend

2 more ding dongs.

Up to 14 now. He just tied the record for April (Pujolz - 14 last year) and he has a week left in the month! Wow.

On pace for 126 HRs and 320 RBIs.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:37 AM   #56
FRPLG
MVP

You know why I hate the Yankees? Because almost all of their fans all total douch bags. They are either fair-weather/band-wagoners, which are the worst kind of fans, or they are legitimate fans by birth, location etc..

The latter group for the most part are pompous and arrogant and seem to think the Yankees do no wrong. I equate their fan base with the Cowboys fan base. I think there are about 9 decent and respectable Yankees fans and that's it. The rest are justing waisting air.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:29 PM   #57
Duffman003
Impact Rookie

what's the record for most home runs in one month? i think it's set by sosa
Old 04-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #58
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman003 View Post
Yeah it's Sosa with like 20.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #59
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
You know why I hate the Yankees? Because almost all of their fans all total douch bags. They are either fair-weather/band-wagoners, which are the worst kind of fans, or they are legitimate fans by birth, location etc..

The latter group for the most part are pompous and arrogant and seem to think the Yankees do no wrong. I equate their fan base with the Cowboys fan base. I think there are about 9 decent and respectable Yankees fans and that's it. The rest are justing waisting air.

Being a Skins fan, and a Red Sox fan...I have to see I agree with your assessment.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #60
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman003 View Post
Here's a link for you:
Home Run in a Month Records by Baseball Almanac