School me on Verizon Fios

Parking Lot

Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #46
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: School me on Verizon Fios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Yeah, it's surprisingly good. Hate to sound like a commercial but theres no long term contracts, you can sign up for as little as $7.99 a day, $18.99 a month, or $99 a year. You can also freeze the account to save time remaining on the membership. It's not an official NHL operation though rather it's run by a few guys out of Amsterdam. They've been around long enough though where it's been deemed legitimate. At the very least I can vouch for them.

I got Gamecenter because they had a PS3 app but the framerate was like 24 FPS, which for hockey is unacceptable so I canceled before the end of the 5 day grace period. Hockeystreams is closer to 30. Maybe 28 to 29 but still much smoother.
God this commercial is sooo boring.

Advertisements
Old 03-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #47
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
If you're planning on increasing your usage due to Netflix and Hulu I would recommend getting their business class. With 4 people streaming movies all month you're at risk to go over their 250 GB residential limit. Business customers on the other hand have no limit. Plus if you're a residential customer and they find you going over 250GB "X amount of times" they'll ban you for a year and they won't give you the option to switch to business class.

Comcast is evil but unfortunately for a lot of people they're the only game in town.
Thanks. I will definitely take it into consideration. I just happened to check my usage last month and am averaging 30GB a month over the last 3 months without the extra streaming. This month will be a great indicator, as I plan on streaming a good bit of the NCAA tourney, and start using Crackle to watch movies and see if it would be worth getting Apple TV and using AirPlay.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #48
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Thanks. I will definitely take it into consideration. I just happened to check my usage last month and am averaging 30GB a month over the last 3 months without the extra streaming. This month will be a great indicator, as I plan on streaming a good bit of the NCAA tourney, and start using Crackle to watch movies and see if it would be worth getting Apple TV and using AirPlay.
I and my family stream a ton plus Skype a lot. I have never come close to 250GB. You would have to be a professional couch potato to reach those limits.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #49
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
They just laid the fiber optics in my hood and I am wondering if it is worth.

Anyone one's thoughts would be appreciated...

I have had DTV and currently Comcast. the DTV sucked due to my location and signal the Comcast has been ok but their equipment is so old and useless. The on screen menu is so awful and the DVR makes me want to puke.
It sucks... Schooled.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #50
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Just to follow up on this I finally got FIOS a few months back and it has been nothing but great for us.

Pros:
Fast and reliable internet service (wife works from home and had to reset the internet all the time with comcrap)
On Demand; lighting fast with nice menus
Whole house DVR
Widgets
The best part it works every day every hour no outages like comcrap

cons:
I do find the scrolling of the menus to be frustrating at times
for a bit if you watched on demand it would not save your spot but that has now corrected itself

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #51
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Still waiting for FIOS in my part of Pennsyltucky.

My Verizon DSL seems slow and unreliable, just had a service call on it. So, my options are Comcast (more than I want to pay), a local telecom company called Frontier that has a great bundle with telephone and internet and Clear, which is 4G wireless internet.

Anyone have any experience with Clear or similar wireless internet? Apparently, you just plug something into a regular outlet and hook it to your router, no telephone or cable hookups needed. They also offer USB modems and devices.

Sounds promising.

Wireless Internet — Mobile 4G Wireless Internet Access from CLEAR