Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #46
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Panthers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
How many playoff wins does he have w/out John Elway? Not saying the guy is bad or even average. But I'm not ready to say MS is a great head coach. There are only a select few that I would say that about.
How many Belichick have without Tom Brady? How many did Bill Walsh have without Montana and Young? How many did Tony Dungy have without Peyton Manning?

Advertisements
Old 10-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #47
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Shanahan a "great" coach? Perhaps, perhaps not. But was he the best available option after the Jim Zorn debacle?

I'd give that a "hell yeah."
I think you may be underrating the supply of guys who can coach a team at a high level. I think supply vastly exceeds demand.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #48
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Big FU goes out to Snyder for putting togther yet another shitty and heartless team. Why do we field the same trash over and over? Let's try new trash, oh wait, the result will be the same. Trash is trash.
Rediculous...

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #49
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
How many Belichick have without Tom Brady? How many did Bill Walsh have without Montana and Young? How many did Tony Dungy have without Peyton Manning?
Seriously. I hate the "what has he done without Elway" argument. What if our next qb turned out to be as good as Elway? Would fans start up a "yeah, well what has he done when he didn't have (insert HOF caliber passer here)?" argument even if we were winning lots of games as a result of the excellent coach/passer combo?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #50
celts32
Playmaker

Could not agree more on the Haslett conservative scared game plan. It went against everything that they have been trying to build on defense this year. They sat back on thier heels all day as if they were playing against Tom Brady.

As for the other side of the ball...Kyle and his shotgun 3rd & 2 calls are driving me up a fkn wall. We are averaging 7 yards a carry and on 3rd and 2 in panther end of the field we go shotgun. run there or at least throw off playaction...shotgun only helps carolina defend the play. He made the same call other times in the game to.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #51
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Whole team today was poor IMO except beck TH and Davis
I disagree about Davis. I realize he had a few good catches and a bunch of yards, but he dropped what would have been a key third down conversion that would have extended a drive when it was still a close game. We ended up giving Carolina the ball back, and they stuck it to us. It was a pass that bounced off of his hands and totally killed our momentum. No excuses. A good game isn't good enough -- you want to be elite, dude? Catch the passes that hit you in the hands EVERY TIME.

Furious about the whole effort. By the way, I disagree about Wilson. I thought he had very good positioning on Steve Smith most of the game, but between Cam's really well placed passes and Smith's crazy talent, it's just hard to stop, The bigger problem, in my view, is that Cam had all freaking day. All day. We had 4 sacks in the first half and then the pressure just stopped, and he picked us apart.

So frustrated.

Last edited by calia; 10-23-2011 at 08:06 PM.
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #52
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
All fair points Smoot. But Dungy had some very good TB teams and he had them within a few points of a SB. He's the man behind the Tampa 2 defense that's used around the league by so many teams. Bill Walsh was a GREAT head coach who put a stamp on the league in so many ways. BB failed in Cleveland but he was the coordinator of some of the best defenses the league has ever seen.

After seeing MS since he's been here, I just don't put him on the level of the great head coaches that I've seen.....Gibbs 1, Walsh and there probably a few I'm leaving out.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #53
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I thought Kyle called a decent game today. The run wasn't always there, but he gave it an honest chance. And the pass was there in the second half and he stayed with it, giving us a chance to get back in it.

Now, Kyle still makes me cringe multiple times per game and I don't think he's very good at his job. But I thought he gave us an honest chance to win the game today. Using Logan Paulsen was a good call. And Kyle didn't make Gaffney suck, he in fact went back to him after he handed Carolina three points.

I don't think he knows how to use his runningbacks to consistently run the ball, because he doesn't typically commit to it. Our best back, Helu, has two carries in two weeks. We'll never, ever, ever be a good running team under Kyle Shanahan. Houston wasn't and we won't be. He gave it an honest chance to work today. But you can't just decide in the second quarter to commit to a ground game. You need to decide that in July and August.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #54
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
I disagree about Davis. I realize he had a few good catches and a bunch of yards, but he dropped what would have been a key third down conversion that would have extended a drive when it was still a close game. We ended up giving Carolina the ball back, and they stuck it to us. It was a pass that bounced off of his hands and totally killed our momentum. No excuses. A good game isn't good enough -- you want to be elite, dude? Catch the passes that hit you in the hands EVERY TIME.

Furious about the whole effort. By the way, I disagree about Wilson. I thought he had very good positioning on Steve Smith most of the game, but between Cam's really well placed passes and Smith's crazy talent, it's just hard to stop, The bigger problem, in my view, is that Cam had all freaking day. All day. We had 4 sacks in the first half and then the pressure just stopped, and he picked us apart.

So frustrated.
That's a good point on Wilson.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #55
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I do think Kyle runs the ball to keep the defense honest. And that style of offense works in the NFL. Except when John Beck and Rex Grossman are your quarterbacks, and Santana Moss and Jabar Gaffney are your receivers. Then you just look dumb out there every week.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #56
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I do think Kyle runs the ball to keep the defense honest. And that style of offense works in the NFL. Except when John Beck and Rex Grossman are your quarterbacks, and Santana Moss and Jabar Gaffney are your receivers. Then you just look dumb out there every week.
Great post, Agree 100%
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #57
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Soooo I guess the collective patience has worn thin for the rebuilding process that was the chant of favor last season?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #58
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Soooo I guess the collective patience has worn thin for the rebuilding process that was the chant of favor last season?
Not for me it hasn't. I'll handle the highs and lows of this season if it means we progress by next year. There's a lot of questions and problems on the roster that need to be fixed though.

For example the fact that the head coach and the offensive coordinator want to play two different styles of offense, and the offense that would work for us right now is the head coach's, while the offense that might work in future seasons with the right talent is the offensive coordinator's. Oh yeah and the head coach and offensive coordinator are father and son, which makes it more complicated.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #59
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
You Yeah I'm looking at you. Your posts in the gameday thread are getting tired. Just shut up already....no don't worry, I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about you (I think we all know who you are)

You mean the village idiots calling for Snyder to come in after the season and clean house?
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #60
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
You mean the village idiots calling for Snyder to come in after the season and clean house?
To be fair, that was only one village idiot (that I am aware of).