Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

Other Sports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
mlmpetert
Playmaker

2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

Wanted to start a 2011-2012 VCU BBall thread, but thought a more inclusive thread would be better.

I think i stated last season that i thought VCU was set up to be a better team this year then they were last. I definitely dont think thats true anymore, and was thinking Jamie Skeen was a junior back then. I didnt realize how young VCU was going to be this year, partly because weve had some very strong recruiting classes over the last 3 years. VCU is VERY young especially for a CAA or mid major team with only 1 senior this year, 6 freshman, 3 sophomores, 3 juniors.

Up until Sunday night i thought we had a long season ahead of us but even though we lost we played really well against Anthony Grant's Alabama team. I think Grant is an excellent coach and will continue to be one for a very long time to come. Alabama will always be a football first school, but i can see Grant bringing a lot big wins and taking Alabama deep into the NCAA tournament on a regular basis. I cant say enough about him, hes going to be a great coach.

Back to VCU. After tonight's win i think we are 4-3. We are clearly a young team and have had a lot of trouble (until recently) with shooting and turning the ball over. A lot of dumb mistakes and TONS of bad shots. The CAA looks a little weaker then what everyone thought it was going to be so we might have a chance at finishing in the top 3. However ill be surprised if we win more then 22 games. We always seem to do well in the CAA tourney and hopefully our guys will have matured a little bit by that point so maybe we can get a automatic selection. But I dont see a at large selection this year.

I think next year we could be really really good. After Jeff Capel turned the school around and once Anthony Grant came in and was able to bring in legit recruits year after year we have been loading up on talent. It should all come together towards the end of this year and through the next 2 years. A lot of people down here feel like our team is just as athletic, and in many cases much more athletic, then almost every other program out there. The difference is that our guys are a little more raw then the recruits the big named schools get.

Last year was definitely a fluke and we were a very up and down team and happened to get hot during the NCAA tourney. And even though everyone came to love Joey Rodriguez he was never a fan favorite until VCU's big run. He even took a lot of heat down here until he started playing lights out in the NCAA tourney, nearly transferring before the start of the season because his starting spot was in doubt. No one will ever come close to replacing Eric Maynor, but after you have a PG like that its hard to get used to average mid major PG play. Our new PG is junior Darius Theus and so far he hasnt really lived up to the hype he generate when he signed here. He has though looked really good in the last 2 games so maybe he just needs a little time stepping into his leadership role. I think hes going to be the biggest determinate to how successful we are or arnt this year. So well see.

We are probably just as good as we were last year and as long as we make our shots so we can set up our defense we can wear out almost any team with our relentless full court press... honestly our athletes are as good as anyones, even coming off the bench. Not making shots and not turning the ball over is and will be our problem this year.

Next year though we should be real good and I wouldnt be surprised to see us in and out of the top 25 rankings all year long. We also will have a lot of chances even if VT still refuses to play us. If anyone else is planning on going to the Bahamas next year, ill be there and so will be a lot of big named schools/opportunities. Besides tournaments the only other way we get to play big named schools is by putting clauses in former coaches contracts that we get to play a series with them. Next year Anthony Grant will return with the Roll Tide and hopefully we can pull of a big upset a la Jeff Capel's #18 Oklahoma in 2009. Im in the picture below fyi (and contrary to what most of you probably think, i did NOT play bball at the college level (weird right?)):

Either way should be a great season for college ball, shit even UVA won last night!

VCU!!

Also a big thanks to SS for getting the VCU ESPN3 contract done. I get to watch at least 25 games from home this year! Much appreciated!!