Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
celts32
Playmaker

Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
The problem with Marty is that he arrived right after Norv Turner. Under Turner, there was no accountability and that's a big reason why we underachieved for years under him. Marty came along and said you know what, I don't care how much talent we have here, how many Hall of Famers are on the roster, we're going to work hard and be accountable. But then guys like Darrell Green and Bruce Smith said "Wait a minute, we've been to the Super Bowl and you haven't. We're future Hall of Famers wrapping up our careers. Don't tell us how to play the game."

I would love, love, love for Marty to come back. Love it
Amen...from your keyboard to Gods ears.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
The problem with Marty is that he arrived right after Norv Turner. Under Turner, there was no accountability and that's a big reason why we underachieved for years under him. Marty came along and said you know what, I don't care how much talent we have here, how many Hall of Famers are on the roster, we're going to work hard and be accountable. But then guys like Darrell Green and Bruce Smith said "Wait a minute, we've been to the Super Bowl and you haven't. We're future Hall of Famers wrapping up our careers. Don't tell us how to play the game."

Exactly, I recall all the older vets complaining that they should not have to do all the same work that the younger rookies were doing. Maybe he was trying to build team unity, who knows but some didn't like it.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:

Bruce Smith drew his last breath with Marty in Carlisle the last time we were there for training camp. Marty had him do the Oklahoma drill a couple times and the expression Bruce wore that day I will never forget. This team has not bonded the same way it did when camp was in Carlisle. I really miss going up there.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

How old is Marty?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
How old is Marty?
66 years old.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

He also wants mike shanahan
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I'm not going to say anything bad about Shanahan. I think he would be good also and early over the summer I thought him or Cowher would be a good choice. As HC. I've just had time to think about it and if..."if" DS brought in a decent GM, someone who knows football, ie; Marty, then the GM would have to be able to get a long with his HC. Which is why I say Marty and his son Brian.

If we pick one of the others, Shanahan or Cowher as HC who do we pick up as GM that would get a long with them well enough? Just asking.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I'm not going to say anything bad about Shanahan. I think he would be good also and early over the summer I thought him or Cowher would be a good choice. As HC. I've just had time to think about it and if..."if" DS brought in a decent GM, someone who knows football, ie; Marty, then the GM would have to be able to get a long with his HC. Which is why I say Marty and his son Brian.

If we pick one of the others, Shanahan or Cowher as HC who do we pick up as GM that would get a long with them well enough? Just asking.
One guy Cowher has said he wouldn't mind working for is....Marty Schottenheimer
Old 10-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
One guy Cowher has said he wouldn't mind working for is....Marty Schottenheimer
Then it all boils down to can DS eat crow and hire a winner or has that ship sailed and DS won't bring in anyone he's fired before?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Then it all boils down to can DS eat crow and hire a winner or has that ship sailed and DS won't bring in anyone he's fired before?
Well it also boils down to does Marty want to come back, does Cowher want to come here? Do they really want to work together?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #11
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
If Shanahan is calling the plays then great. If Shanahan is picking the players then I'd rather have Vinny. If anyone was worse at picking players then Vinny it was Shanahan. Honestly though (as if I was going to lie) I'd rather just have Snyder hire a real GM (*cough* DeCosta *cough*) give him a bunch of money and say "alright find me a coach and get me some players." Sort of like how JKC ran things. None of this crap about knowing what they eat for breakfast in fact better yet get me someone where the only thing you know about them is their favorite type of Cigar after a big win.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
Swarley
The Starter

GM for GM
Swarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #13
warpaint
The Starter

I feel good about us turning this thing around this year. It's barely week 4. My whole thing is V.Cerrato I dont know anything about him but for some reason he is the only one who hasnt been fired threw all these years. Can anyone enlighten me if able thanks.
warpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #14
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpaint View Post
I feel good about us turning this thing around this year. It's barely week 4. My whole thing is V.Cerrato I dont know anything about him but for some reason he is the only one who hasnt been fired threw all these years. Can anyone enlighten me if able thanks.
Honestly I hope we can turn this around and go 9-7 or better, but I just don't see it. They couldn't beat the Rams and couldn't beat the last place Lions....which to me puts us in last place.

I have lobbied for Cerrato to be fired, and most recently have kinda stuck up for him in regards to his latest draft picks. Although we might not have needed them I think they are good players. But if Zorn is getting fired I would push for "Rebuild mode" and if DS does not want to fire Cerrato then create a new position and put him in that spot but clearly hire a football knowlegable GM and HC who can get a long and start fresh.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #15
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Honestly I hope we can turn this around and go 9-7 or better, but I just don't see it. They couldn't beat the Rams and couldn't beat the last place Lions....which to me puts us in last place.

I have lobbied for Cerrato to be fired, and most recently have kinda stuck up for him in regards to his latest draft picks. Although we might not have needed them I think they are good players. But if Zorn is getting fired I would push for "Rebuild mode" and if DS does not want to fire Cerrato then create a new position and put him in that spot but clearly hire a football knowlegable GM and HC who can get a long and start fresh.
I don't see how Zorn can't be fired after this year. I think we've found that our patchwork coaching staff isn't going to make the push we thought it would after Gibbs 2.0 left.

Rebuild it all because there is nothing competitive about this team to hold to.

The George Michael segment was awesome and I really like GM but really it seemed like a lot of his assessments were done off of the pretense that he personally knows Snyder, Cerrato & Sonny very personally.

The piece that stuck out with me was that Grilliams couldn't have been coach here because Snyder didn't like him because of the "Marty-like" personality. That Marty-like personality is the ONLY thing that is going to dig this franchise out of the grave it's dug itself.

Snyder doesn't want anyone coming between his influence over the roster...that was just 2 years ago...looks like we're in trouble.