Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What do you want to see in our next QB?

Locker Room Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2020, 07:31 AM   #1
AnonEmouse
The Starter

What do you want to see in our next QB?

OK, based on a few posts about the 2021 QB prospects and looking at the current slew of mobile NFL QB's, I thought I'd ask this question. I figured a vote won't work as there are potentially too many permutations. I figured better to list characteristics and pick the ideal.

1) Mobile
2) Accurate
3) Big arm
4) Touch
5) Leader
6) Pocket Passer
7) Runner
8) Pocket presence
9) Height (is this really that important any more?)
10) Footwork
11) Intangibles (explain?)
12) Other - anything you think I missed?

For me my priorities would be 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 10, 11. I'm not sure I necessarily want 7 over 6 (or vice versa), as long as the team is built around this option. For intangibles I'd go for personality; can the kid not just carry the team with him but also the fans, and impact the community and wider NFL. For example, Rodgers persona extends beyond the football field, he seems to have a good character that endears him to more than just GB fans.

I want a guy who's mobile so he can help the OL and extend plays. I'm not convinced he has to be a runner. I think Russell is the exception here as he's both an accomplished passer and a runner. Murray isn't there yet, as his outing last night suggests (9-for-24 for 188 yards, 93.8 rating), and likewise, Jackson seems to rely more on his feet than his passing ability. Mahomes is more in Russell's mould; he can extend plays and run if he has to but it isn't something he/their offense relies on. I can't help thinking that Russell and Mahomes will last longer in the NFL than Jackson or Murray, due to wear and tear, so I'd rather have a guy who's a passer first and a runner last.

If I'm picking top 10 next year (let's for a minute assume we have the #1 pick option), then Lawrence and Fields seem to fit that bill best (though I'm dubious about another OS QB). Lance and Newman seem to be more running QB's to me. Beyond that, I'm not sure I see a top 10 talent worth risking a pick?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote