F... Lexus Xmas Commercials

Parking Lot

Old 11-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #46
cpayne5
Playmaker

Re: F... Lexus Xmas Commercials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Maybe true, but I'd take a Mercedes or a Beamer 8 days a week over a Lexus or Acura. There's something special about the way a Benz and Beamer drive. A Lexus is a glorified Toyota, and an Acura is glorified Honda. Infiniti's don't really drive any better than Nissans. Nothing wrong with Honda, Nissan, and Toyota, but I feel like they just slap their top-shelf models with a different name and try to pawn them off as "luxury."

Audi, Benz, BMW... Still far ahead of the rest performance-wise, even if numbers say otherwise.
Come again? What other metrics are there when it comes to performance? Fastest from point A to B is all that matters.

As far as Honda:Acura, Nissan:Infiniti, Toyota:Lexus, it is much more than badge replacement. Engine and transmission variances, quality of materials, gap control, etc are all huge distinguishing characteristics between the house brand and the upscale brands.

For instance, my daily driver is an 06 Acura TSX. I chose this car because of the availability of Bluetooth (at the time), size (it's smaller than an Accord, bigger than a Civic), engine and transmission availability (K24A2 not available in any Honda model as well as 6 speed manual), as well as many other smaller details that you just couldn't find in any North American Honda at the time.

Lexus is the same way. Find me the Toyota that is just a rebadged IS, GS, or LS. All three of those models are unique to the Lexus brand. Inifiniti does reuse platforms to a higher degree than the other two, but even the Infiniti models differ greatly from their Nissan cousins.

Advertisements
Old 11-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #47
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
For half the price and better performance I am inclined to take the Mercedes SLS AMG among other super cars.

Both are very nice cars, but appeal to different drivers due to their driving dynamics.
Here is a good article...
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG vs. Lexus LFA - Automobile Magazine
Love this picture from the article. When we are older, we will look back on this time and realize that we were in a golden age for automobiles. There are so many wonderful cars being produced right now.

GMScud - the LFA is available in the US.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #48
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
Come again? What other metrics are there when it comes to performance? Fastest from point A to B is all that matters.

As far as Honda:Acura, Nissan:Infiniti, Toyota:Lexus, it is much more than badge replacement. Engine and transmission variances, quality of materials, gap control, etc are all huge distinguishing characteristics between the house brand and the upscale brands.

For instance, my daily driver is an 06 Acura TSX. I chose this car because of the availability of Bluetooth (at the time), size (it's smaller than an Accord, bigger than a Civic), engine and transmission availability (K24A2 not available in any Honda model as well as 6 speed manual), as well as many other smaller details that you just couldn't find in any North American Honda at the time.

Lexus is the same way. Find me the Toyota that is just a rebadged IS, GS, or LS. All three of those models are unique to the Lexus brand. Inifiniti does reuse platforms to a higher degree than the other two, but even the Infiniti models differ greatly from their Nissan cousins.
LOL! I was not going to go all gear head on him but you did, nice work.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #49
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
There are mainstream luxury cars and then there is Mercedes.
Notice I did say mainstream...and Mercedes is one of them. Their cars are great...they aren't on a different level than BMW really though.

Or really Acura and Lexus for that matter.

Last edited by FRPLG; 11-30-2011 at 11:24 AM.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #50
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I get what youre saying but Lexus, Acura and Infinity were specifically designed for Americans as luxury cars whereas only the luxury packages of BMW and Mercedes models were introduced to America. Which makes me see a difference in someone saying a Lexus is just a Toyota with all the bells and whistles vs someone saying a Mercedes is just a Mercedes with all the bells and whistles.

There may be some cars that are completely different but a lot of these cars use the same frame and almost all have interchangeable parts from cars of their core brand for cars of their luxury brand. Like your TSX, the frame may not be from a Civic or my Accord, but its nearly the exact same car as the Japanese version of the Honda Accord, with an A instead of a H on its badge. I think a Lexus ES is just a fancier Camry that looks a little different. I guess its just all marketing.

I do however think it was a smart move by the Japanese brands, especially since Honda, Toyota and Nissan were once viewed by Americans solely as economy cars. The Hyundai Genesis looks like a damn nice car, but at the end of the day youre still driving around a Hyundai. Maybe they should have dropped the Hyundai name and came up with a new American sounding luxury name and called it something like the Apexis Genesis. Then people could say its not a Hyundai it’s an Apexis like many people say its not a Toyota it’s a Lexus. Hyundai has been doing a damn good job at rebranding and separating themselves from lower end car makers like Kia so it should be interesting how Americans view Hyundai in 10 or so years.

Either way Id personally prefer one of them fancy Toyota Lexus models over one of them fancy German cars.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #51
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post

Listen, I'm not a gearhead, and I simply don't care enough about the topic to really get into it with you. All I know is I've owned an Acura in the past (2.3CL back in the day), I've driven a variety of Hondas, I currently own a 2010 Nissan Altima, and I've also driven a few Infinits and Lexus as well (my Dad and stepmom used to own one of each). The difference in price (for the average dude like me) between Infiniti vs Nissan, Honda vs Acura, etc etc doesn't translate to performance or quality.

My dad currently has a 2011 Mercedes C300, and I've driven it. No Infiniti or Lexus holds a candle to it. Promise. Just my opinion, but again, I don't really care enough to get into it any further.

Last edited by GMScud; 11-30-2011 at 11:40 AM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #52
FRPLG
MVP

I guess it really is all just perception.

I consider BMW, Mercedes, Acura and Lexus in the same class all around. For different types of vehicles I like different cars.

The 3 series BMW is a great car for the small sedan market whereas the 5 series is a better option at the full size class.

The Lexus GX feels like a freakin' spaceship...one of the nicest rides I've ever had. I have an MDX and love it but would blow it up for a GX if I could afford one. Never been in and M
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #53
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Listen, I'm not a gearhead, and I simply don't care enough about the topic to really get into it with you. All I know is I've owned an Acura in the past (2.3CL back in the day), I've driven a variety of Hondas, I currently own a 2010 Nissan Altima, and I've also driven a few Infinits and Lexus as well (my Dad and stepmom used to own one of each). The difference in price (for the average dude like me) between Infiniti vs Nissan, Honda vs Acura, etc etc doesn't translate to performance or quality. Just my opinion, but again, I don't really care enough to get into it any further.

You have a choice in cars and you are more then welcome to say I like X model better then Y model, obviously. The part that irked me, and I am guessing cpayne5 also, is to think that Toyota rolls out a Camry and then just rebadges it with a Lexus symbol is a uneducated comment.

I personally was just trying to point out to you that hey it is more then that and that BMW/ Benz also make lower end cars. I believe cpayne5 was doing the same. I am not one on here to argue points I was just sharing my knowledge of cars with you. Sorry if I upset you.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #54
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Listen, I'm not a gearhead, and I simply don't care enough about the topic to really get into it with you. All I know is I've owned an Acura in the past (2.3CL back in the day), I've driven a variety of Hondas, I currently own a 2010 Nissan Altima, and I've also driven a few Infinits and Lexus as well (my Dad and stepmom used to own one of each). The difference in price (for the average dude like me) between Infiniti vs Nissan, Honda vs Acura, etc etc doesn't translate to performance or quality.

My dad currently has a 2011 Mercedes C300, and I've driven it. No Infiniti or Lexus holds a candle to it. Promise. Just my opinion, but again, I don't really care enough to get into it any further.

Just for chuckles:
2011 Lexus IS 250 vs 2011 Mercedes-Benz C300 Luxury

Actually both are pretty boring, if Iwas spending that kind of money I get a WRX STi:

Lexus
IS 250

Mercedes-Benz
C300 Luxury
0-60 mph 7.9 seconds vs 6.8 seconds Both have sluggish 0-60 times
Braking distance at 60mph 129 ft vs 129 ft Both take longer to stop from 60mph
1/4 mile 16.3 s @ 88 mph vs 15.2 s @ 95 mph Both have pokey 1/4 mile times
Lateral acceleration 0.91 g vs Unknown

Top speed 140 mph vs 155 mph The C300 Luxury's top speed is average for this class of vehicle, but the IS 250 is just OK

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI tS Sedan 0-60 mph 4.8 Quarter Mile 13.2

Not only will the Subaru hold a candle them it will blow theirs out!

Last edited by mredskins; 11-30-2011 at 12:14 PM.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #55
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:

I was just pointing out that the upscale brands are simply not just rebadged standard brand cars, which seemed to be your, as well as other's, point. To be blunt, that's not up for discussion as it is not factual. Now whether it is your preference to buy a Nissan instead of an Infiniti because you don't see the benefit is something entirely different.

Many people in the know would have much to say about your C300 statement above.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #56
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

How much is the ribbon?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #57
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
You have a choice in cars and you are more then welcome to say I like X model better then Y model, obviously. The part that irked me, and I am guessing cpayne5 also, is to think that Toyota rolls out a Camry and then just rebadges it with a Lexus symbol is a uneducated comment.

I personally was just trying to point out to you that hey it is more then that and that BMW/ Benz also make lower end cars. I believe cpayne5 was doing the same. I am not one on here to argue points I was just sharing my knowledge of cars with you. Sorry if I upset you.
Lol upset me? Like I said, I don't care enough about this topic to really get into it any further. I have an opinion, sure, but I'm not really into cars and never have been, so I don't really care. I guess I shouldnt have even said anything, because I'm certainly not going to be clicking on the links you guys posted or looking at 0-60 times or anything else.

Moving on...
Old 11-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #58
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Like FRPLG said its all just a matter of perception.

Im done with arguing this too but i did stumble across a really cool website that will be helpful no matter what new car youre in the market for. I was comparing 2 similar cars earlier but its real easy to change makes and models

2011 Lexus ES 350 vs 2011 Toyota Camry XLE

Last edited by mlmpetert; 11-30-2011 at 01:06 PM.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #59
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Who was arguing?

God lord the political threads can go on for miles about non-sense but don't dare questions someone's knowledge about cars on here.

Unreal.

AS far GMScud if this thread was about working out/body building and you point out something I said was untrue or false info then I would be all ears knowing you have a wealth information on the subject, I would not get my panties in bunch and say I am done with this subject and I am not clicking on your links!

And when I apologized earlier for upsetting you becasue from my perception you are obviously annoyed/upset about the subject I was being sincere.

So again I am sorry you are upset.

Last edited by mredskins; 11-30-2011 at 01:30 PM.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #60
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Who was arguing?

God lord the political threads can go on for miles about non-sense but don't dare questions someone's knowledge about cars on here.

Unreal.

AS far GMScud if this thread was about working out/body building and you point out something I said was untrue or false info then I would be all ears knowing you have a wealth information on the subject, I would not get my panties in bunch and say I am done with this subject and I am not clicking on your links!

And when I apologized earlier for upsetting you becasue from my perception you are obviously annoyed/upset about the subject I was being sincere.

So again I am sorry you are upset.
Easy there tiger. No one's panties are in a bunch. I have an opinion, but like I said, I don't really care at all, so I probably shouldn't have even voiced it in the first place. I appreciate that you guys are into cars, it's just a discussion/debate I don't feel like having. That's all.