Meks is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-04-2023, 04:22 PM   #47
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: Commanders 2023 Free Agency Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Trading for Wentz was by far the biggest mistake. It hamstrung the ability to upgrade the rest of the roster, taking on that contract. That being said, I don't fault RR for trying something at the QB position. He couldn't just go with Taylor Heinicke - although in hindsight that may have been the better move. The point is, he knew he needed to upgrade the QB position. Wentz was a last resort I'm sure. There was a chance it could have worked out, but it didn't. At least he drafted a QB in Howell and had an out with Wentz's contract.

Not bringing in a more experienced OC was mistake #2. I think the Turner experiment was wrong. He's not his Dad. Maybe he'll end up being a good OC someday, but he just couldn't get out of his own way here, and the suspect OL and QB play was not his friend.

Beyond that, I have no issues with RR. The record doesn't necessarily reflect the coach he is in my opinion. He's done the best he can with the resources he has available to him, which as we are finding out more and more - are and have been limited. Has he made mistakes, sure. The two above are the most glaring, but he's made some in-game mistakes, too. But people on here act like no other coaches - even really good ones - make mistakes with challenges and timeouts, and the like... Or that he's the only 'stoic' head coach roaming the sidelines. The man's been through a lot. I personally appreciate that he is even-keeled.

It is the whole 3-8-1 overall season record thing that sticks in my craw. A majority of which had nothing to do with Snyder. That is a lot of losing seasons Chief.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:29 PM   #48
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I agree. It's not good. But no head coach in this league wins more than he loses if he doesn't have above average QB play AND a decent defense.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:19 AM   #49
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

I don't want to sound like a broken record for a second off-season in a row, so I'll say it once : we need to sign a proven ILB.

Less than last year but still a lot of options in FA, I know we'll also need to be spending on the Oline (can't fix this burning mess only via the draft) but I'd be fine with spending some $ on Deion Jones, what do you guys think ?
Old 03-05-2023, 05:21 PM   #50
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I don't want to sound like a broken record for a second off-season in a row, so I'll say it once : we need to sign a proven ILB.

Less than last year but still a lot of options in FA, I know we'll also need to be spending on the Oline (can't fix this burning mess only via the draft) but I'd be fine with spending some $ on Deion Jones, what do you guys think ?

ILB is second on my list of wants behind oline. Ahead of cb. Im fine with Jones or any other proven vet or a draft pick. Just fix it along with the oline for the love of God.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:36 PM   #51
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:

I'd also prioritise LB and probably 2 OL in FA. The draft is pretty deep at CB and to some degree OL. I like the idea of someone like Porter at #16 rather than trading down, so we then have some freedom to pursue BPA or trade to maximise our remaining picks.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:02 PM   #52
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
ILB is second on my list of wants behind oline. Ahead of cb. Im fine with Jones or any other proven vet or a draft pick. Just fix it along with the oline for the love of God.
Agreed. Yes we need some depth at CB, but Fuller, St Juste, Kurl, Forrest is a functional starting secondary... Davis + Mayo just isn't a LB squad.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:31 PM   #53
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Agreed. Yes we need some depth at CB, but Fuller, St Juste, Kurl, Forrest is a functional starting secondary... Davis + Mayo just isn't a LB squad.

Exactly. Davis definitely upped his game last year which was good. Hopefully he keeps progressing.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:34 PM   #54
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I agree. It's not good. But no head coach in this league wins more than he loses if he doesn't have above average QB play AND a decent defense.

I feel like he had both those things for more than just a couple of losing seasons in Carolina. Anyway he will be our HC next year and I hope he puts another notch in the winning season column. He better because he is on the hot seat….
Old 03-06-2023, 10:10 AM   #55
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.startribune.com/minnesot...ace/600256560/

Vikings release longtime linebacker Eric Kendricks to clear $9.5 million in cap space

If we are looking to upgrade the LB position and pair someone with Davis…another guy on the streets

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:37 AM   #56
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
Pass on LJ.
Agree 100%. Don't want to give a HUGE 100% guaranteed contract to an undersized injury prone QB that will be hurt half of each year. It's why Baltimore is hesitant to resign him. Would set us back 10 years IMO.
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:38 AM   #57
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
https://www.startribune.com/minnesot...ace/600256560/

Vikings release longtime linebacker Eric Kendricks to clear $9.5 million in cap space

If we are looking to upgrade the LB position and pair someone with Davis…another guy on the streets
Yep.

I like Holcomb but when was the last time he finished a complete season without playing injured or being out with injury?

We need a solid mike that doesn't have injury issues.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:29 PM   #58
Ruhskins
Living Legend

No tag for Orlando Brown Jr.

@AlbertBreer
Chiefs' decision to not tag Orlando Brown came down to, I'm told, their desire to lock in a long-term LT this offseason. Tagging Brown doesn't do it. It'd basically guarantee he's free in '24, make it harder to do a deal (bc of the $20M number) now.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 03:58 PM   #59
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Yep.

I like Holcomb but when was the last time he finished a complete season without playing injured or being out with injury?

We need a solid mike that doesn't have injury issues.

I want someone better even if healthy. He would be a great depth guy.
Old 03-06-2023, 04:17 PM   #60
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
No tag for Orlando Brown Jr.

@AlbertBreer
Chiefs' decision to not tag Orlando Brown came down to, I'm told, their desire to lock in a long-term LT this offseason. Tagging Brown doesn't do it. It'd basically guarantee he's free in '24, make it harder to do a deal (bc of the $20M number) now.
I wouldn't oppose to the idea of signing him but he will be expensive and he isn't on Trent Williams' level so I'm not sure about this.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote