Media Bias

Debating with the enemy

Old 07-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #571
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Media Bias

Very good read.............

https://my.xfinity.com/articles/news...teel-Town-fa4f

While we're happy Granite City has those jobs coming back, it's a lot harder to see the jobs that are lost or not created in the rest of the state because of the tariffs," said Illinois Chamber of Commerce President Todd Maisch. He described the administration's policies as "really negative" for most of Illinois, the nation's fifth-largest economy.

Richard Guebert, a farmer and president of the Illinois Farm Bureau, said he told Vice President Mike Pence during a meeting last week that there's "a lot of angst" among farmers after several tough years and with another strong crop likely to lower prices this year. He worries particularly about whether young farmers will be able to keep going in a state where one of every four rows of soybeans is exported to China.

"Older, more seasoned farmers have a better asset base. They can weather storms like this," Guebert said. "The young farmers are having a definite challenge."

A $12 billion aid package the administration announced Tuesday to help farmers hurt by the trade disputes is "a start," Guebert said, but "won't make farmers whole in the face of continued trade tensions."

Factories around the region also have been hurt. Mid Continent Nail Corp. in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, has shuttered a multimillion-dollar plant and is "on the brink of extinction."

The company, which says it's the nation's largest nail manufacturer, employed 510 workers before Trump raised tariffs on June 1 but has since slashed its workforce to 370, spokesman James Glassman said. The tariffs led to a big jump in the price of steel wire, the raw material Mid Continent imports from Mexico to make nails. When Mid Continent raised its prices 25 percent, customers turned to cheaper foreign-made nails.

"This is a county that went 79 percent for Trump so people are certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt," Glassman said. "But their jobs are at stake because of this misguided tariff."

Advertisements
Old 07-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #572
Giantone
Gamebreaker

This is an OPINION Piece...............

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/840426002/
Old 07-26-2018, 09:16 PM   #573
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Another Opinion piece that nails it nicely.

https://www.sfgate.com/opinion/artic...pid=newsrecirc

...just part of it.

* A TRUCE IN TRADE WAR, OR JUST A LULL? Trump and the European Union have backed away from a destructive trade war and have pledged to negotiate to lower tariffs, but the New York Times points out:

"It was hard to say, given Mr. Trump's bluster and unpredictable negotiating style, if the agreement was a genuine truce or merely a lull in a conflict that could flare up again. Twice, Mr. Trump's aides have negotiated potential deals with China, only to have him reject them and impose further tariffs."

The problem: It's never clear what Trump will need to declare victory, because he often rails at mistreatment of America that isn't real. If he starts feeling like a loser again, all bets are off.

* DRIVE TO IMPEACH ROSENSTEIN PUTS GOP IN TOUGH SPOT: House conservatives allied with Trump have introduced impeachment articles against deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein. But The Post reports:

"House Republican aides said that if a member tried to force a vote on the measure, leaders probably would move to send it to the House Judiciary Committee for further review, effectively bottling it up indefinitely. But that could still be an uncomfortable vote for many Republicans who are under pressure from conservative groups - and the voters who follow them - to unseat the man who oversees the investigation Trump routinely denigrates as a 'witch hunt.'"

So GOP leaders don't want a full vote on this to happen. Let's see if they strongly defend the integrity of the investigation and forcefully denounce this bad faith nonsense for what it is.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #574
Giantone
Gamebreaker

A Great Read! Yes it's opinion.

To my Republican friends: It’s time to let Trump go - Chicago Tribune

When a friend is in trouble, our instinct is to try and steer them away from danger.

Sometimes that means putting the friendship on the line by saying things they don’t want to hear. You gently nudge them toward the light when their eyes are blind to the truth.

This message is for my Republican friends — those smart and compassionate people I argue with fiercely over political ideology but with whom I share an unfaltering respect for our democracy.

My friends, you are in an abusive relationship with Donald Trump. It is time to let him go.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #575
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/31/tec...ges/index.html

So is Russian colluding with actual activist to divide the country? This side of the Russian interference is certainly the more under reported story.

Facebook said the "Resisters" page, which organized the "No Unite the Right 2" event, recruited real activists who "unwittingly helped build interest in" the event" and posted information about transportation, materials, and locations so people could get to the protests."

One page promoted a "No Unite the Right 2" march -- a counter demonstration to a planned "Unite the Right" event to coincide with the one-year anniversary of the march in Charlottesville in which a woman was killed. There was also an effort to amplify the "Abolish ICE" message pushed by liberals, the source said
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:48 PM   #576
Giantone
Gamebreaker

LOL, under reported no. Coming from the side that said there was no such thing in the first place I find that funny.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:11 PM   #577
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Here's hoping Acosta stays out, and CNN stops the aggressive attacks on Sanders/Trump

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cnn-repor...183926383.html
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:59 PM   #578
MTK
\m/

lol yeah Acosta is the asshole in all this

Old 08-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #579
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
lol yeah Acosta is the asshole in all this

Have you listened to him. Yeah he is.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #580
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post

Compared to Sanders? That’s laughable
Old 08-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #581
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I see a lot of fault with both. I think cnn guy is doing his best to show his ass about every chance he gets...it’s tiring. Sanders and administration, enemy of the people is too much. That rhetoric goes too far...I wish the administration would tone it back.

But what I continuously see is cnn getting worst with their coverage. The story today where trump pulled folks together to talk about prison reform that touched on race relations and improved economic improvements with some economic stats....it wasn't covered by cnn...nothing on the front page of website. That’s an opportunity to get a positive story we need...cnn fails again. Really no excuse but simple bias because it doesn’t fit cnn’s political agenda. Fuck’m
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #582
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Acosta has been that way from day 1 be it Spicer or Sanders. Its been his mission. Sanders is respectful to the press pool in general.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:32 PM   #583
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
LOL,spank:
Old 08-02-2018, 09:32 PM   #584
Giantone
Gamebreaker

FOX will do nothing to this women.

https://my.xfinity.com/video/fox-hos...b=Must%20Watch
Old 08-02-2018, 09:34 PM   #585
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Acosta has been that way from day 1 be it Spicer or Sanders. Its been his mission. Sanders is respectful to the press pool in general.