Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Coronavirus (non political)

Parking Lot

Old 05-15-2020, 02:27 AM   #571
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Coronavirus (non political)

I have now mastered drinking beer and listening to music on my balcony by myself. Going out almost sounds weird now.

I spent a lot of time at my local Hooters. I hope that when things open back up I have the patience to wait at least 2-3 weeks before I go there or any other restaurant. Because you're always going to get the bumrush crowd like ^^^ that are going in guns blazing.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-15-2020, 09:40 AM   #572
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I have now mastered drinking beer and listening to music on my balcony by myself. Going out almost sounds weird now.

I spent a lot of time at my local Hooters. I hope that when things open back up I have the patience to wait at least 2-3 weeks before I go there or any other restaurant. Because you're always going to get the bumrush crowd like ^^^ that are going in guns blazing.
As freaked out as I have been at times, and you have all unfortunately had to listen to my doom and gloom rants, for which i apologize for, there are moments of clarity where I acknowledge that essentially, the daily life of my wife and I remain essentially unchanged.

Both of us are homebodies, and the only place we both went to other than work, was the grocery store, or Lowes / walmart, etc... Even before the pandemic happened, we rarely went out to eat, and we didn't even go to the movies except a few times a year.

Through this whole thing, we have both been still going to work every day. Truth be told we only encountered a horrible line once at Walmart in Stephens City very early on, it might have been around the 3rd week of March.

Since then the Martins and that Walmart that we shop at has always had what we needed. I was lucky and had a decent supply of TP when this started, and for the last two weekends i have seen it on the shelves again in plentiful supply. Same with the canned foods, meat, etc. I understand that some cities are having intermittent meat shortages, but not here so far (knock on wood).

I am like you, i am very used to how we are living / have been living and i probably won't rush to go back out right away, i will let it die down over the next few weeks, with VA expected to go into "Phase 2", in the beginning of June. I think by then, things will look a lot more "normal".
Old 05-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #573
MTK
\m/

I'm fine with staying in most of the time, I just miss having the option of going out
Old 05-15-2020, 01:27 PM   #574
mike340
Special Teams

The results I give are extremely conservative (i.e., probably overstate the number of cases continuing past 14 days.) The numbers for total cases were

April 30th: black: 7,821, white: 4,935, and latino: 3,651.
May 14th: black: 11,328, white: 7,479, and latino: 7,864.

The chance that an unrecovered"old case" is out on the street is small (either dead or sick enough so they're not going anywhere.)

This is as opposed to new "unrecovered" cases, where the symptoms may not be incapacitating. Consider the new cases (as of May 14th vs. April 30th):

black: 3,507, and less than half (44.8%) of the cases that existed on April 30th
white: 2,544, and about half (51.6%) of the cases that existed before April 30th
latino: 4,213, which is about 1.15 times (i.e. 115.4%) of the number of cases before April 30th.

Now consider that the proportion of the state population of each group is
black: ~30%
white: ~50%
latino: ~10%.

So the latino numbers for new cases per population* is 8 times what it is for whites and about 3.5 times what it is for blacks. This (along with what I see in the street and my neighbors) leaves me with the general sense they are not getting the message and don't care if they infect somebody. (We worry about some of our latino friends who, for example, have diabetes; I just try to let them know the numbers and find out if we can help them.)

I should also note that the latino rate of increase is about double that of the white and black on EACH DAY, so it's not a statistical anomaly.

*New cases divided by the population pct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Mike, I guess as you are a scientist, I am asking what hypothesis you are stating. If I read it right then these would be how I would state your hypotheses:

#1 PG County has the largest section of the outbreak, and should be avoided.

#2 Latinos in Md have been less willing to follow the stay at home order as it is meant to be followed, and therefore non-Latinos should avoid contact with Latinos to reduce the chance of community spread from that specific group.

#3 The Actual Recovered numbers are significantly higher than the reported based on the number of new cases and assuming a 14 to 21 day infection time.

If those are your hypotheses, I generally agree with 1 and 3. Although I think #1 is skewed by the major outbreaks in nursing homes in PG and Riderwood in Montgomery which is actually right on the border of PG if you could somehow pull out those flash points that happened early on, you might see a different statistical variance. But I don't really think that is possible.

I think you are reading the data from number 2 backwards though. I do believe it is significant that the Latino population is less likely to abide by the stay at home order (I admit this is from my walks in the park and the numbers of groups that I see that would be considered larger that 10 or not practicing social distancing so it is not a scientific number). But if we accept the untested assumption that Latinos are less likely to abide by the order, the expected numbers would be an expected higher infection and mortality rate. We see just the opposite in Md. Using your numbers (black: 5,071 cases; white: 3,531; latino: 4,943) Latino and Black active cases are basically equivalent and given the ethnic makeup of PG county, that is not completely shocking. In fact the low number of deaths in the Latino group (black:708; white: 731; latino: 137) should actually have us looking at what factors they have incorporated communally that may have a better effectiveness then stay at home orders alone.
mike340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #575
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike340 View Post
The results I give are extremely conservative (i.e., probably overstate the number of cases continuing past 14 days.) The numbers for total cases were

April 30th: black: 7,821, white: 4,935, and latino: 3,651.
May 14th: black: 11,328, white: 7,479, and latino: 7,864.

The chance that an unrecovered"old case" is out on the street is small (either dead or sick enough so they're not going anywhere.)

This is as opposed to new "unrecovered" cases, where the symptoms may not be incapacitating. Consider the new cases (as of May 14th vs. April 30th):

black: 3,507, and less than half (44.8%) of the cases that existed on April 30th
white: 2,544, and about half (51.6%) of the cases that existed before April 30th
latino: 4,213, which is about 1.15 times (i.e. 115.4%) of the number of cases before April 30th.

Now consider that the proportion of the state population of each group is
black: ~30%
white: ~50%
latino: ~10%.

So the latino numbers for new cases per population* is 8 times what it is for whites and about 3.5 times what it is for blacks. This (along with what I see in the street and my neighbors) leaves me with the general sense they are not getting the message and don't care if they infect somebody. (We worry about some of our latino friends who, for example, have diabetes; I just try to let them know the numbers and find out if we can help them.)

I should also note that the latino rate of increase is about double that of the white and black on EACH DAY, so it's not a statistical anomaly.

*New cases divided by the population pct.
There are so many factors that simple statistics may or may not account.
For Example,
  • you don't have a way to account for time from infection to time or reporting which alone could likely skew one populations number tremendously. I think you could make an effective argument that whites and blacks are more likely to go for medical response sooner than latino families. This effect is for different socio-economic reasons, but clearly isn't accounted for in simply parsing the numbers like you did.
  • You don't account for clusters near possible outbreaks that may be unrelated to race ie nursing center that become a major factor
  • You don't take into account what actions in the black or white community may have lead to a specific drop outside of community spread.
for me the bottom line is you are taking a personal observation - latinos seem less concerned about social spread (which I agree based on personal observation) and then using statistics in a way that includes many confirmation biases without any use of "clean" statistical data (anonymized and representative) that could confirm or deny your point.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:30 PM   #576
MTK
\m/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #577
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

I had to go to the hated Walmart yesterday. My small town pharmacy closed down end of last year and CVS prices are 3x Walmart's or more for meds. The extra 50 mile round trip to Walmart and my hatred of the place is easily over come by saving $200+ a month. Any way they had one way aisles and only one entrance to the store open, which happened to be the one furthest from the pharmacy. Just going to the pharmacy I ended up walking 4x as much as I normally do. I wonder what genius dreamed that up? The pharmacy patrons are mostly elderly and some don't look to be in too good of health. If they were going to have one entrance open it should have been the one right next to the pharmacy. The people working the pharmacy complained to management about the set-up and it fell on deaf ears.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:57 PM   #578
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

1st time I've been inside of an actual grocery store in probably 2 months. Line is 50 people deep. Will be the last time for another couple months. I'd rather starve.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:15 PM   #579
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Another thing apparently being hoarded: Propane

Went to CVS, they were all out. And the guy at 7-11 said I got the last one.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:17 PM   #580
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
1st time I've been inside of an actual grocery store in probably 2 months. Line is 50 people deep. Will be the last time for another couple months. I'd rather starve.
local Giant here in Maryland has about 95% of everything. TP meat ,chicken all good but are out of some strange stuff like "yeast" to bake with . Can't find it anywhere. No lines per say maybe one or two people in front of me.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:50 PM   #581
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Thumbs up Re: Coronavirus (non political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
local Giant here in Maryland has about 95% of everything. TP meat ,chicken all good but are out of some strange stuff like "yeast" to bake with . Can't find it anywhere. No lines per say maybe one or two people in front of me.
I went looking for an item that I figured was too specific to find anywhere besides a large store and I was already in the area. The CVS I was at looking for propane didn't even have it.

I should've know better than go on a nice Saturday afternoon. So it was mostly my fault.

At least they had what I was looking for and the line ended up going way faster than I thought. They had the process down pretty smooth. Its a big store, and the line went all the way from the front of the store to the back and then to the right 20 people. It was weird. Never seen anything like that before.

That's pretty funny, you shop at Giant Foods. We don't have those out here.

Other teams are really at a marketing disadvantage. There are no Redskins Foods.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:42 AM   #582
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Here in Virginia our idiot Governor was recording both the antibodies tests and the diagnostic tests for Covid as one inflating rates and Overall testing results. This was only after Health experts criticism of the incompetence.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...rginia/611620/

Also this is interesting

https://www.dailywire.com/news/color...-numbers-wrong

Colorado Drastically Reduces Coronavirus Death Count, Democrat Gov Polis Suggests CDC Numbers Wrong:

Colorado Democratic Governor Jared Polis told Fox News host Chris Wallace on Sunday that his state significantly reduced the number of COVID-19 deaths that the state was reporting because the number included people who died with the coronavirus but not necessarily from it.

The reduction of 272 deaths from the COVID-19 death toll in the state represents a roughly 25 percent decrease in the total number of deaths.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #583
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Another thing apparently being hoarded: Propane

Went to CVS, they were all out. And the guy at 7-11 said I got the last one.
It could be possible the supply chain was disrupted right at the time when BBQ season is upon us. The local Harbor Freight was pretty much cleaned out of sand blasting media. When I asked they said they hadn't got a shipment in 3 weeks due to sanitizing warehouses and trucking fleets.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:30 PM   #584
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Here in Virginia our idiot Governor was recording both the antibodies tests and the diagnostic tests for Covid as one inflating rates and Overall testing results. This was only after Health experts criticism of the incompetence.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...rginia/611620/

Also this is interesting

https://www.dailywire.com/news/color...-numbers-wrong

Colorado Drastically Reduces Coronavirus Death Count, Democrat Gov Polis Suggests CDC Numbers Wrong:

Colorado Democratic Governor Jared Polis told Fox News host Chris Wallace on Sunday that his state significantly reduced the number of COVID-19 deaths that the state was reporting because the number included people who died with the coronavirus but not necessarily from it.

The reduction of 272 deaths from the COVID-19 death toll in the state represents a roughly 25 percent decrease in the total number of deaths.
Politicians do the same thing with HIV cases. People die of pneumonia due to suppressed immune system but not HIV/AIDS so they don't count it. Just a way for Polis to pull the wool over his constituencies eyes.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #585
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I went looking for an item that I figured was too specific to find anywhere besides a large store and I was already in the area. The CVS I was at looking for propane didn't even have it.

I should've know better than go on a nice Saturday afternoon. So it was mostly my fault.

At least they had what I was looking for and the line ended up going way faster than I thought. They had the process down pretty smooth. Its a big store, and the line went all the way from the front of the store to the back and then to the right 20 people. It was weird. Never seen anything like that before.

That's pretty funny, you shop at Giant Foods. We don't have those out here.

Other teams are really at a marketing disadvantage. There are no Redskins Foods.
I worked for Giant Food Inc. at their Warehouse's in Landover and Jessup Maryland for over 30 years.