Debating with the enemy

Old 03-18-2022, 07:52 PM   #571
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Ukraine mega thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
https://apnews.com/article/russia-uk...1b0b8d090e38e3

The siege at Mariupol is absolutely heartbreaking. Russians shelling residents is a war crime.

I can only hope that the person most responsible for this feels the sort of pain these innocent people are going through.

Advertisements
Old 03-19-2022, 10:56 AM   #572
nonniey
The Starter

18 Mar Update.

They've changed their format so these won't come daily anymore.

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...lict-update-17
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 03:20 PM   #573
nonniey
The Starter

19 March Assessment (Well maybe they (ISW) changed their mind on daily assessments).

This is key who would have predicted this 3 weeks ago?

"Ukrainian forces have defeated the initial Russian campaign of this war. That campaign aimed to conduct airborne and mechanized operations to seize Kyiv, Kharkiv, Odesa, and other major Ukrainian cities to force a change of government in Ukraine. That campaign has culminated....."

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...sment-march-19
Old 03-23-2022, 08:42 AM   #574
Giantone
Gamebreaker

The Ukraine Air Force has been amazing, I wish somehow they could attack Moscow IMO I think it could bring an end to this thing. The russian people don't know the whole truth bringing the war to them could make them turn on putin. Just MO.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:30 AM   #575
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
The Ukraine Air Force has been amazing, I wish somehow they could attack Moscow IMO I think it could bring an end to this thing. The russian people don't know the whole truth bringing the war to them could make them turn on putin. Just MO.
It would definitely change the game. After Pearl Harbor the United States launched the Doolittle Raid to bomb Tokyo from so far out that our bombers had to ditch in China. It stunned Japan and announced to them that we were not a force to be trifled with. They responded extremely aggressively in trying to take out our aircraft carrier fleet and eliminating our presence in the Pacific by taking Midway. They crafted an aggressive plan that didn't consider that the US might know they were coming, we placed our carriers away from Midway, and after they bombed Midway we launched from the carriers and sunk three of their four carriers. That completely changed the war, from that point forward it was a succession of island-hopping victories eventually leading to Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Ukraine does not have the capability to fly into Moscow and hit like we did to Tokyo. But you're right, if they did it would be a game changer at home for Putin.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:14 AM   #576
Giantone
Gamebreaker

This is from trumps Ambassador to Ukraine"

"Marie Yovanovitch says Trump's Helsinki press conference with Putin was so 'disastrous' that she couldn't finish eating her french fries"

The US's former ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovitch, writes in her new book that she lost her appetite and couldn't finish her french fries while watching then President Donald Trump's joint press conference with Russian leader Vladimir Putin in 2018.

Yovanovitch was serving as the US's ambassador to Ukraine when Trump and Putin held a bilateral summit in Helsinki in 2018. At the time, she writes in her memoir, "Lessons From the Edge," the US Navy was conducting maritime exercises with Ukraine in a show of solidarity against Russia's aggression.

"It was quite a show, and as I watched the display of US sea power and leadership ... I was proud to be an American," the book says.

But the same day, Trump held "what turned out to be a disastrous meeting with President Putin in Helsinki," she continues. "The summit wrapped up with a joint press conference between the two leaders, a spectacle that left observers pondering the depths to which Trump had sunk in his pandering to Putin."

"I watched the infamous Trump-Putin press conference at my Odesa hotel that evening while pecking at room-service french fries," the book says. "I quickly lost my appetite as I saw our president toady up to Putin and take the Russian's word over that of our own intelligence agencies, which assessed that Russia had interfered in the 2016 US presidential election."
Old 03-23-2022, 07:24 PM   #577
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
This is from trumps Ambassador to Ukraine"

"Marie Yovanovitch says Trump's Helsinki press conference with Putin was so 'disastrous' that she couldn't finish eating her french fries"

The US's former ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovitch, writes in her new book that she lost her appetite and couldn't finish her french fries while watching then President Donald Trump's joint press conference with Russian leader Vladimir Putin in 2018.

Yovanovitch was serving as the US's ambassador to Ukraine when Trump and Putin held a bilateral summit in Helsinki in 2018. At the time, she writes in her memoir, "Lessons From the Edge," the US Navy was conducting maritime exercises with Ukraine in a show of solidarity against Russia's aggression.

"It was quite a show, and as I watched the display of US sea power and leadership ... I was proud to be an American," the book says.

But the same day, Trump held "what turned out to be a disastrous meeting with President Putin in Helsinki," she continues. "The summit wrapped up with a joint press conference between the two leaders, a spectacle that left observers pondering the depths to which Trump had sunk in his pandering to Putin."

"I watched the infamous Trump-Putin press conference at my Odesa hotel that evening while pecking at room-service french fries," the book says. "I quickly lost my appetite as I saw our president toady up to Putin and take the Russian's word over that of our own intelligence agencies, which assessed that Russia had interfered in the 2016 US presidential election."
That press conference was amazing - and possibly a top moment for me that there might be some smoke to the whole "Trump owes money to the Russians" theory. But he did so much heinous shit it doesn't stand out that much anymore.

Not sure we'll ever see another POTUS side with the guy authorizing daily cyber warfare on the US over his own intelligence agencies.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:48 PM   #578
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
That press conference was amazing - and possibly a top moment for me that there might be some smoke to the whole "Trump owes money to the Russians" theory. But he did so much heinous shit it doesn't stand out that much anymore.

Not sure we'll ever see another POTUS side with the guy authorizing daily cyber warfare on the US over his own intelligence agencies.
Mooby I love when you go full Don Quixote. You keep chasin them windmills

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:35 PM   #579
nonniey
The Starter

23 March Assessment

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...sment-march-23

Another sies report on the happening of the day (Pretty good)

https://militaryland.net/ukraine/inv...ay-28-summary/
Old 03-23-2022, 10:40 PM   #580
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Mooby I love when you go full Don Quixote. You keep chasin them windmills
Like moths to the lamp, I know what lights your batsignal
Old 03-24-2022, 08:21 AM   #581
Schneed10
A Dude

Trump is done. Taking a pro-Putin posture at this point is political suicide. The US doesn't unite around much these days, but it's entirely united over Putin.

You can forget about Trump. If he gets nominated he'll lose. His puppy-dog posture towards Putin won't fly.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:55 AM   #582
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Like moths to the lamp, I know what lights your batsignal
Ha!

Ukraine news

Ukraine reports victories in counter-offensive around Kyiv

https://nypost.com/2022/03/23/ukrain...a-around-kyiv/

NBC reporter Richard Engel said he’d been briefed by two municipal officials in Kyiv.

“This, they say, is the biggest counter-offensive they’ve seen since the start of the war,” Engel said. “So far, with this counter-offensive just 48 hours in, there have been significant changes around the capital.”

Good to see.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:03 AM   #583
Schneed10
A Dude

Hahahahaha Russia is pathetic. A military 'superpower' to execute this poorly is dumbfounding. If it weren't for the nukes or the chemicals I'm not sure why we should respect their capabilities at all.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:49 AM   #584
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Hahahahaha Russia is pathetic. A military 'superpower' to execute this poorly is dumbfounding. If it weren't for the nukes or the chemicals I'm not sure why we should respect their capabilities at all.
2nd rate military with 1st rate weapons.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:28 AM   #585
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
2nd rate military with 1st rate weapons.

2nd rate is being kind.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote