BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #557
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: Merged: The Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I've got 0.0 interest in seeing GI Joe. I mean really, what lame cartoon are they going to turn into a lame movie next?
I'm with you. I also dislike typical summer action flicks. GI Joe has looked dumb from the start. A guy I work with saw the late night show last night, and he said he almost left the theater in the middle of the movie it was so bad. He said basically the same thing as mredskins. Good CGI in parts, and basically nothing else. I mean, are we really supposed to take Marlon Wayans seriously? Come on.

On a side note, I really enjoyed the Transformers movies, but I was HUGE into them as a kid. Next to Legos, they were far and away my favorite toy. I had all of them, watched all the cartoon episodes on TV, etc etc. And the CGI was absolutely amazing in the films. I was big into GI Joe, too, but this movie has screamed "dud" from day 1 IMO.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #558
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Funny as hell, but it only makes sense if you have seen the movie.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #559
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post

I haven't laughed that much in a while. holy crap that was friggin hilarious. I gotta email that to a friend.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #560
itvnetop
Playmaker

Just caught "A Perfect Getaway." Intentionally B-movie material, I had a great time with it (even though I figured it out within the first two minutes).
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #561
KLHJ2
Inactive

GI Joe was pretty consistent with the cartoon. There were only a couple of adjustments in character history to tie the story together better.

Character development was there in the form of flashbacks. Critics complained about the flashbacks and lack of character development. I had to scratch my head it was there.

Critics said that it was mindless action from beginig to end and that the story had no plot. Critcs also said that there was no room left for a sequel. The story had a plot it just took the entire movie to set it up. The final scene both satisfied the Plot and hinted to the necessity of a sequel. The title of the movie is called "The Rise of Cobra". The title alone tells you what it is about.

The critics said that the acting was bad and the lines were cheesy. The acting was no worse than any other action flick. Maybe it is because the characters are a little more laid back and not the typical "Serious, Billy Badass" that Americans have associated with action characters. Some of the lines were cheesy and they managed to fit almost every popular, cheesy, GI Joe line that the could into the movie. I had no problem with that because it was consistent with the cartoon, yet done in such a manner that it was not quite as cheesy as the cartoon.

I enjoyed the movie, I would watch it again, and I will watch the sequel(s). This was no where near the disappointment of Speed Racer and it added all of the action that I felt was missing from the 1st X-MEN.

Like I had said before, if you liked the cartoon, then you will like the movie. If not don't even bother, you will just be another critic with a lack of understanding.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:53 AM   #562
GMScud
Swearinger

Tropic Thunder is friggin hilarious. Watched it tonight on HBO.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:59 AM   #563
KLHJ2
Inactive

Ehhh. I didn't like Tropic Thunder all that much. It didn't do anything for me. Not even comedically.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:05 AM   #564
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Ehhh. I didn't like Tropic Thunder all that much. It didn't do anything for me. Not even comedically.
Really??? I thought it was brilliant. Awesome cast, great spoof flick.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:11 AM   #565
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Really??? I thought it was brilliant. Awesome cast, great spoof flick.

Yeah....spoofing actors who go through basic is one thing. Once I found out that the guy with the hooks was a fake in the movie, it was all down hill for me. Besides, I dont know of any POW camp that would let you off of the hook because of your acting career. The humor just wasn't there for me.

On the other hand, Tom Cruise had me lughing my ass off. If only the rest of the cast were right there.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:17 AM   #566
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Yeah....spoofing actors who go through basic is one thing. Once I found out that the guy with the hooks was a fake in the movie, it was all down hill for me. Besides, I dont know of any POW camp that would let you off of the hook because of your acting career. The humor just wasn't there for me.

On the other hand, Tom Cruise had me lughing my ass off. If only the rest of the cast were right there.
As to your first point, I was never in the service, so I don't really have your perspective on that one, although I certainly understand where you're coming from. The POW camp thing, well, it was a spoof comedy. To expect realistic isn't, well, um, realistic I guess.

And yeah, Tom Cruise was a scream. "Who's the key grip here? Ok, I want you to go punch that director hard as shit right in the face." LOL

Robert Downey Jr. was great too.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:26 AM   #567
KLHJ2
Inactive

Robert Downey Junior was funny, but he wasn't for everybody. I found him hillarious, but many people found his role to be offensive. Personally, I cannot stop quoting his lines from that movie. "I'm the dude playin the dude tryin to be another dude". "Just because it's a theme song doesn't mean it aint true." Hillarious!
Old 08-17-2009, 04:46 AM   #568
itvnetop
Playmaker

Caught District 9... very good flick. Not your typical alien takeover movie- this one actually has a story that viewers will invest in.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #569
itvnetop
Playmaker

Anyone interested in Tarantino's new one? Inglourious Basterds looks way fun.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #570
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

I'm looking forward to it. Looks pretty entertaining.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote