Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins pay or trade Trent Williams?
Pay him 34 46.58%
Trade him 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #541
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Bruce would just make the situation worse. Nobody likes the guy except Dan. Bruce would probably do something similar to what he did w/ Cousins and make the situation worse.

If I were the Redskins it'd be real simple. Either you play or sit home. If we get fair market value, like a 1st rounder then we'll trade you. Those are your only options.
Would you let his agent talk to other teams?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Advertisements
Old 08-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #542
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
If I were the Redskins it'd be real simple. Either you play or sit home. If we get fair market value, like a 1st rounder then we'll trade you. Those are your only options.

Managing 53+ players is not real simple.
Managing the salary cap is not real simple.
Winning is not real simple.

Bruce and Jay is keeping it real simple is going to lead this team to a 4 win season.

Swearinger - Team Captain and ProBowl Caliber
Mason Foster - Team Captain and leading tackler
Trent Williams - Team Captain, All-Pro, and Redskins Legend

These are 3 guys were recently voted team captain by their peers.
DJ was cut before the end of the season. Foster was cut on the way to camp. Trent has concerns about the medical staff and the team is basically saying take it or leave it.

The next set of captains will say the right things to the media but I will fucking guarantee that Scherf and Jon Allen have their eyes open to what is going on with this coaching staff and front office. Players on the team respect Trent more than they respect Bruce, Jay and Dan.

This is a bigger issue than just not having our all pro LT.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #543
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post

Bruce and Jay is keeping it real simple is going to lead this team to a 4 win season.

DJ was cut before the end of the season. Foster was cut on the way to camp. Trent has concerns about the medical staff and the team is basically saying take it or leave it.

The next set of captains will say the right things to the media but I will fucking guarantee that Scherf and Jon Allen have their eyes open to what is going on with this coaching staff and front office. Players on the team respect Trent more than they respect Bruce, Jay and Dan.

Strong Post.

Damn JAMF, now IM MORE ANGRY!!!!

I would say this team is in a transition tho when it comes to leadership...on defense Jonathan Allen is the leader it needs. The Alabama boys matter.

On Offense, there is an opportunity. How the team responds does matter...Trent voice is extremely important.

He Gets Us
Old 08-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #544
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

DJ asked for it though, u cant keep bashing your bosses in public..

Foster sucks
Old 08-02-2019, 02:44 PM   #545
Schneed10
A Dude

We finally have contract details for Donald Penn, via Rap Sheet:

Quote:
If Donald Penn is the starting left tackle for the #Redskins, he can make $5.03M in 2019, source said. He gets a signing bonus of $250K, the only guarantee. He’s also got a base salary of $1.03M, 46-man active roster bonuses worth $750K and incentives up to $3M more.
This is truly a contract meant to cover all the bases. To me it says the Redskins don't have any idea whether Trent will come back or not. They're hoping for the best and planning for the worst. Penn's base level of pay of $1.0M, basically vet minimum, is what he'll get if he rides the bench the whole season. That screams depth move.

But the Redskins built in incentives that could pay him as much as $5.0M if he ends up the starter all year. That's a big upside to expose yourself to, the only way you'd do that is if you felt you needed to get someone in to start in the event your stud doesn't play.

I think it says the Redskins have no idea whether they'll have Trent or not. It's enough of a real reason for Chicken Little to squeal.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #546
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Penn sucks, he’s a holding machine. Let’s get real the guy is 36, his best days arr way over.

2017 wasn’t that long ago. Im holding out hope he can get us through the year. Because TW is never putting on a Skins uniform again.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #547
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Whitworth is old too and he has been great in recent yrs
Old 08-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #548
WillH
The Starter

I think there is something to this perspective for sure, but Foster and Swearinger were not performing well and were airing the dirty laundry publicly. That's never the right move. In the short term, this team is better without then. I will concede that it's likely that internal discussion being silenced is most likely a contributing factor. It's all about the culture, and everyone that has come in with a message about culture change has been dumped within a year. Notably, McCloughan and LaFamina. This is a Bruce and Dan problem. I heard somewhere the other day that there is a perspective of someone with knowledge of the organization that Bruce is just a straw man, and that Dan is still making decisions. I didn't believe that for awhile and I'm still not sure I do, the approach has changed drastically under Bruce, especially as it regards negotiation and team building. That said, it would explain the loyalty to Bruce despite...well... everything.

I have no idea if the organization will ever change, I guess I'm just watching with the hope that they can stumble into a championship despite themselves.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #549
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:

I don't buy into DJ being a team leader. He said he was a team leader but there are several statements by players and observations by respected beat reporters which run contrary to him being a true team leader.

Sundberg, on Finlay's podcast disputed DJ was voted team captain and then stripped of the title by the coaching staff. Who do you trust more, DJ or Sundberg?

Jon Allen immediately and intentionally contradicted DJ's assertion the coaches were putting the players in bad positions after the Tenn game. Whether or not the calls were bad is irrelevant. What is relevant is that Allen called BS on DJ immediately and intentionally. Allen doesn't talk crap and doesn't stir up crap. I think it's very telling about DJ's "leadership" when a 2nd year player in a different position group publicly disputes DJ.

There were many reports toward the end of last season that DJ was freelancing in the secondary and not playing within the scheme creating breakdowns in coverage and responsibilities in the run game.

He was a pro-bowl talent and the most vocal player on the team. That doesn't make him a leader.

I agree 100% with the rest of your post.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #550
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
We finally have contract details for Donald Penn, via Rap Sheet:

This is truly a contract meant to cover all the bases. To me it says the Redskins don't have any idea whether Trent will come back or not. They're hoping for the best and planning for the worst. Penn's base level of pay of $1.0M, basically vet minimum, is what he'll get if he rides the bench the whole season. That screams depth move.

But the Redskins built in incentives that could pay him as much as $5.0M if he ends up the starter all year. That's a big upside to expose yourself to, the only way you'd do that is if you felt you needed to get someone in to start in the event your stud doesn't play.

I think it says the Redskins have no idea whether they'll have Trent or not. It's enough of a real reason for Chicken Little to squeal.
Thanks for finding it! Have to give Redskins credit for having a back up plan although I hope this does not mean Redskins are not actively trying to resolve issues with Williams..
Old 08-02-2019, 05:27 PM   #551
httr198020
Special Teams

I say trade the bum right now!
Old 08-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #552
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by httr198020 View Post
I say trade the bum right now!
On the current roster, which players are better than Trent?
Old 08-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #553
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
On the current roster, which players are better than Trent?
Not a single one. He’s our best. Kerrigan is next, and Collins is after that.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:44 PM   #554
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Not a single one. He’s our best. Kerrigan is next, and Collins is after that.
Kerrigan has not missed a game, that puts him ahead of Trent in my book, if I have to pick one.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:20 PM   #555
5superbowls3wins
Impact Rookie

There’s an article floating possible trade partners. In there it mentions Redskins trading WIlliams to Houston for a 2020 first rounder, or Redskins trading WIlliams to Jacksonville for Jalen Ramsey. I’d take either one at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread