Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Debating with the enemy

Old 07-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #541
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Sex Abuse Scandal Rocks Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post
While obviously there needed to be a heavy penalty, I feel sorry for the players over this 14 year period that now suddenly never happened according to the record book. Some players are rightfully pissed off that the blood and sweat they gave up for the university and subsequently the NCAA to make millions of dollars, now meant nothing because of the faults of a handful of people. Punishing those not involved just doesn't seem fair whatsoever. Just alter the record book in regards to JP. I truly feel sorry for the poor boys who had their lives forever changed by a monster and those who didn't fight hard enough for the right thing to be done, but these other boys shouldn't be punished as well. This whole situation sucks and there was never going to be a "right way" for this to get made right.
I was thinking about this last night. And, it may be quite a leap, but with all of this happening right in the Penn State locker room and at team facilities I can't really shake the thought that McQueary couldn't have been the only player to see any unusual behavior. My guess is there may be others who kept their mouth shut.

All that said, I don't really have a problem with the wins being vacated. Has happened to other schools for much less

Advertisements
Old 07-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #542
Giantone
Gamebreaker

I agree they might have killed the program but if I'm the board....ban football for at least 5 years a Penn State.

The amount of regular students leaving is also an issue,students leaving becuase the degree will now have a stigma attached to it.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #543
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I agree they might have killed the program but if I'm the board....ban football for at least 5 years a Penn State.

The amount of regular students leaving is also an issue,students leaving becuase the degree will now have a stigma attached to it.
Plus, the tailgating parties won't be as big. Yes, that's something PSU fans are worried about now, I work with plenty of them. The whole Saturday ritual of making a whole day out of the game experience has a damper on it now that they know they're going to lose, the opponents are going to be extra-motivated to destroy the Lions on the field and their idol is no longer walking the sidelines (or coaching from a booth when he can't walk).

It's sickening how upset they are over the football team...never mentioning the victims or even acknowledging their school did something horrible. The fans are acting like the victims, like they've been unfairly targeted by the legal system and NCAA out of nowhere on some made-up charges. I know what happened is unbelievable, but the fact that they don't believe it is disturbing.

Penn State jacked up the price of season tickets from about $100/game to $300 and $400 for the best seats a year or two ago. The fans were already complaining about that but since "WE ARE PENN STATE" they bit the bullet and paid up. Now that they'll be a perrennial 3-win team if they're lucky, do you still expect 80,000 seats to be full? I'm expecting a LOT of empty seats. Maybe not this season because they'll emotionally rally around the team...but at that price, when they see the level of play by their team...they won't continue to pay. Some of the insanely-obsessed will, but most won't.

I've been mockingly chanting "WE WERE...PENN STATE!" since the NCAA hammer came down.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #544
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Um...I mean, there's got to be a better way to put it, isn't there?

Penn State Sanctions: Grads React | WNEP.com — Scranton / Wilkes-Barre / Hazleton
Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #545
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

Penn State Sanctions: Grads React | WNEP.com — Scranton / Wilkes-Barre / Hazleton
This deserves a double

Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #546
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

Some people just need serious help and dont think they fully understand what happened. Children were raped by a high ranking football official. He was allowed to rape time and time again by the school's leadership.

The Penn State apologists' reactions have been jaw dropping this week. I will never forget what Ive heard from people calling in from Pennsylvania to sports radio and what I've read in print. Those twitter postings were vile. Its like these people are blind and could careless about the victims. I really cant believe it.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #547
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
This deserves a double

I felt you needed to add a few onto that.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #548
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
This deserves a double

If ignorance is bliss,they must be in heaven!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #549
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:

The links earlier were certainly worse than this.

Giantone had the right idea on this one. The NCAA should ban Penn State football for 5 years. Effective immediately. Not just because of past actions by Penn State administrators, coaches, and staff. But equally because of CURRENT actions of Penn State from the Board of Trustees at just about every level down to students, alum, and fans.

No Penn State football for five years. Wipe the slate clean, of this sick "football above all else" culture there.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #550
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Penn State president: Program faced multiyear shutdown – USATODAY.com
Old 07-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #551
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
The links earlier were certainly worse than this.

Giantone had the right idea on this one. The NCAA should ban Penn State football for 5 years. Effective immediately. Not just because of past actions by Penn State administrators, coaches, and staff. But equally because of CURRENT actions of Penn State from the Board of Trustees at just about every level down to students, alum, and fans.

No Penn State football for five years. Wipe the slate clean, of this sick "football above all else" culture there.

Exactly my thoughts, especially the last paragraph.

Although I'd be more for a 14-year hiatus...matching the KNOWN length of the cover-up. If we find it went further back than 1998, extend that break. If PSU really wants to show they're more concerned about the victims than football, I think not having football for a while would be appropriate. Even with their dismantled teams, the fans and school are still going to put their football team first. PSU fandom is a disease.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #552
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Exactly my thoughts, especially the last paragraph.

Although I'd be more for a 14-year hiatus...matching the KNOWN length of the cover-up. If we find it went further back than 1998, extend that break. If PSU really wants to show they're more concerned about the victims than football, I think not having football for a while would be appropriate. Even with their dismantled teams, the fans and school are still going to put their football team first. PSU fandom is a disease.
While I agree, I think you are underestimating the impact these punishments will have on the next breed of PSU fans/football players. The older diehards will remain, but you need to keep the supply coming. Sure their kids may be fans, but after the team suffers for a decade, why would the next decade support the team as much? Younger HS players rarely care about loyality, especially if it means associated yourself with a tarnished name.

I have several good friends and family that went to PSU so I know exactly what you are talking about, but I guess I just feel the impact will be a bit more than a slap on the wrist.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #553
Monkeydad
Living Legend

The football program, from top to bottom, maybe even including players since some of this happened in the team locker room, all covered up Sandusky's sins. The football program was punished as it should have been.

Of course fans and current players will be impacted by ANY punishment to the football program. You can't avoid that and shouldn't consider it when taking appropriate disciplinary actions against the guilty party...the football program.

I'm sick of the fans, students, media and anyone else whining about "punishing innocent people". The football program did this and the football program was punished. Any collateral damage...too bad, it could not be avoided.

These crybabies should consider themselves lucky that they'll have ANY games to see this year.

Breaking news: The "boy in the shower" just came forward and said he's suing Penn State and he has voicemails recorded from Sandusky "confessing his love" for the boy.

At least we know he is still alive, unlike the DA who was investigating him.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #554
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Penn State Nittany Lions -- Trustees to file appeal, federal lawsuit upon denial - ESPN

These new BoT assholes the alumni have voted in are pathetic. At this point, I wouldn't care if they carpet bombed the place into oblivion.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #555
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I decided to redesign PSU's football uniforms for them.