Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Media Bias

Debating with the enemy

Old 07-13-2018, 11:13 PM   #511
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Media Bias

Which news site would you say is the best in terms of sticking to truth and keeping bias out of articles?
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-14-2018, 05:37 AM   #512
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I look at all the media from huffington post to breitbart, and then i look at what is rational and not rational. Sometimes CNN has accurate news. Sometimes Fox has accurate news, sometimes all the media shows the same news, mostly they show biased sides of the same news and critical thinking helps appraise it. I know that is incomprehensible in your mindset, that pinholes individuals as cultists or free thinkers or whatever other designation you apply to help you feel better about yourself.

As for the twitter followers, i only posted here because if you took msm reports you would think all of trumps followers were these bogus accounts when in fact he had very few both percentage wise and pure numbers compared to the msm and/or pres obama.

LOL, so in other words the MSM is only bias when you say they are,got it. In your previous post #506 you claim CNN is "fake news" ...now it's sometimes,you decide what is rationale and what is not,so to you the news is what you agree with at the time to be real? Thank you for proving my point.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:49 AM   #513
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Which news site would you say is the best in terms of sticking to truth and keeping bias out of articles?
There are things I like about all of them but unlike many others I realize that journalist are all so just humans and make mistakes as do Doctors,Teachers and Politicians.I all so can tell the difference from an "OPINION MEDIA" to a news media ,Shepard Smith is very good for one,there are many,good honest people in the media who do good honest jobs.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:47 AM   #514
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
The problem is, I dont think any of them are very good at it anymore. Very few articles are written in the spirit of "just the facts ma'am". Certainly, in my opinion, none of the outlets (fox, cnn, cbs etc) that put themselves as news first opinion second are reliable enough to trust their information on their name alone. CNN was at one time but social media and internet speed of news has changed that.

As for reporting agencies like ap or reuters, I trust reuters the most. In a short answer to your question reuters would be my most trusted news source.

I also like british broadcastng for an outside of the us viewpoint of stories, not that they don't have bias, but their bias is shifted from the traditional left right here in the us so as to give you insight through perspectives
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #515
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
LOL, so in other words the MSM is only bias when you say they are,got it. In your previous post #506 you claim CNN is "fake news" ...now it's sometimes,you decide what is rationale and what is not,so to you the news is what you agree with at the time to be real? Thank you for proving my point.
I said "seems like cnn had fake followers for their fake news". In that sentence i don't claim all their followers are fake (that would be demonstrably false) and likewise i am not claiming all their news is fake.

And yes, i do think it is important to use our intelligence and discretion to read, analyze, discuss and understand what is most likely true and what is abjectly false. It is not my agreement that makes it true, but if it is true then i am not likely to disagree with it even if it doesnt align with my political beliefs.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #516
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I said "seems like cnn had fake followers for their fake news". In that sentence i don't claim all their followers are fake (that would be demosnstrably false) and likewise i am not claiming all their news is fake.

And yes, i do think it is important to use our intelligence and discretion to read, analyze, discuss and understand what is most likely true and what is abjectly false. It is not my agreement that makes it true, but if it is true then i am not likely to disagree with it even if it doesnt align with my political beliefs.
So in short it's not "Media Bias" but your own "personal bias" .
Old 07-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #517
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
My local news tends to be very unbiased along with the richmond times dispatch

ABC morning shows and nightly news seems to be not that biased imo.

CBS and NBC...Morning and nightly news is clearly biased. I think CBS tends to be the most liberal lean with biased language, cherry picking facts.

To me, the most offensive is CNN...it’s straight propaganda and tabloid. The best thing they do is refuse to give any context, sensationalized headlines, they leave out facts, they refused to “prosecute” the obama adminstration for the exact same policies just several years ago, they present editorials as fact based, biased language, etc.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:17 AM   #518
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Two I think do a very good job are NPR and AP. I all so like Reuters,Politico CBS,ABC and yes I like the WASHINGTON POST and NY TIMES .
Old 07-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #519
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
So in short it's not "Media Bias" but your own "personal bias" .
That is so mind numbingly wrong that it is on par with your calling yourself a republican.

Yes i have a personal bias, as everyone on this site does. We are expected to have one as we are rational intelligent humans. The media/news is supposed to try not let personal bias inject itself in reporting facts. The point of this thread, and my point in talking about media bias in general, is that all the major news outlets have gone greatly astray from that ideal, to the point that none of them can, on face value, be taken as consistent deliverers of non biased news stories.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #520
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

This is a chart from www.allgeneralizationsarefalse.com that looks like the author has put good research into it.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #521
MTK
\m/

I still think the fake news/bias mantra is way overblown especially since Trump started calling anything and everything fake news. People now use it as a crutch to discount news they don’t agree with. Of course you don’t want to rely on one source for all of your news, that’s just common sense. And there will always be some people not capable of critical thinking in order to sort through all the noise.

People act like back in the good old days news wasn’t biased and it was always just the facts. That’s BS. We just have a larger volume of information coming at us today and it’s 24/7 crap to sift through.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #522
MTK
\m/

Quote:

This is a chart from www.allgeneralizationsarefalse.com that looks like the author has put good research into it.
Interesting to compare this against Chico's post above where he thinks CBS
and NBC are clearly biased and CNN is doing the devil's work.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #523
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I like my choice's as well.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #524
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
From the blog writer's who i am page:

Quote:
As I have said in other parts of this blog, I consider myself moderately liberal, but with a good understanding and appreciation of conservative positions. Some people think that means that the sources I placed on the chart should all be shifted over to the left one column. If so, that’s fine—you can mentally shift them all over to the left and continue to use the chart that way.
I doubt this is an exact graph and given Chicos fiery nature his characterizations are understandable
Old 07-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #525
MTK
\m/

Personally I've always gone to NPR, WSJ, and BBC to find some balance. I've generally found it difficult to stay interested in the news since Trump was elected.