Debating with the enemy

Old 07-06-2021, 10:21 PM   #496
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Fresh Start Political Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov...r-Strategy.pdf

“In the last 18 months, my Administration has taken action to address cyber threats. We have sanctioned malign cyber actors. We have indicted those that committed cybercrimes. We have publicly attributed malicious activity to the adversaries responsible and released details about the tools they employed. We have required departments and agencies to remove software vulnerable to various security risks. We have taken action to hold department and agency heads accountable for managing cybersecurity risks to the systems they control, while empowering them to provide adequate security. In addition, last year, I signed Executive Order 13800, Strengthening the Cybersecurity of Federal Networks and Critical Infrastructure. The work performed and reports created in response to that Executive Order laid the groundwork for this National Cyber Strategy.
With the release of this National Cyber Strategy, the United States now has its first fully articulated cyber strategy in 15 years. “

It’s no coincidence that as soon as the the Biden administration came into office Russian based hackers have launched attacks against the country. I’d like to see Biden fight back. This isn’t Trump fault
Implying they took a break while Trump was in office?

The disconnect is unreal. Not only did Trump not once stand behind the intelligence community when they uniformly agreed Russia was behind devious acts, he literally said he trusts Putin more than the intelligence community. My man, it's shit like this is why I don't take you seriously. Trump didn't once say "stop raping us online" he literally gave Putin a jar of vaseline and asked if he wanted his ass or mouth.

Regardless, as much as you want Trump to be running shit once again, he's not. And so it falls on Biden to do more than talk tough to Putin. I don't have high expectations just because Biden doesn't seem the type to try and cripple Russia just because they're doing the same shit to us.

I also agree with Sunny, hope the day comes where cyber security is no longer a partisan issue. Every first world country has skin in the game when it comes to devious acts online.

Advertisements
Old 07-06-2021, 10:47 PM   #497
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Implying they took a break while Trump was in office?

The disconnect is unreal. Not only did Trump not once stand behind the intelligence community when they uniformly agreed Russia was behind devious acts, he literally said he trusts Putin more than the intelligence community. My man, it's shit like this is why I don't take you seriously. Trump didn't once say "stop raping us online" he literally gave Putin a jar of vaseline and asked if he wanted his ass or mouth.

Regardless, as much as you want Trump to be running shit once again, he's not. And so it falls on Biden to do more than talk tough to Putin. I don't have high expectations just because Biden doesn't seem the type to try and cripple Russia just because they're doing the same shit to us.

I also agree with Sunny, hope the day comes where cyber security is no longer a partisan issue. Every first world country has skin in the game when it comes to devious acts online.
No more with the conspiracy theories…look to packing Poland with missiles, killing Russian mercenaries, multiple layers of sanctions against hacking activities and lethal weapon aid to Ukraine.

So continued Obama-like soft policy with Russia which was an abject failure? Don’t make me list the failures again. Also, yes Trump was aggressive with policy despite his rhetoric…that lead to a deterrent against Russia actions like these continuous hacking exploits.

Three already? Biden has to respond…this is fucking ridiculous. Let’s also note Biden gave the Russians a major strategy energy win with removing Trump era sanctions which allows first the completion and then the control of pipeline into Europe.

Good too see you back in the thread moob 😵*💫

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:32 PM   #498
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
How did Trump kiss Putin's ass? I'm legitimately asking.

Was Obama tough on Putin?

Was Trump any different than the last couple administration's before him?

Seems like Trump is held to a different standard than anyone else because most of you hate him personally.

Bothsideism definitely applies when it comes to Trump and Obama interactions with Russia/Putin - Obama was soft even before he was inaugurated (The after I'm elected comments, the wrecking of NATO missile defense policy etc. and Trump has been praising/defending Putin since he was elected.

Biden hasn't been as soft as either (yet?) but that is almost certainly due to Trump's coziness with Putin rather than a rational policy decision (although in this case it works out).

Last edited by nonniey; 07-07-2021 at 09:37 AM.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:39 AM   #499
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
No more with the conspiracy theories…look to packing Poland with missiles, killing Russian mercenaries, multiple layers of sanctions against hacking activities and lethal weapon aid to Ukraine.

So continued Obama-like soft policy with Russia which was an abject failure? Don’t make me list the failures again. Also, yes Trump was aggressive with policy despite his rhetoric…that lead to a deterrent against Russia actions like these continuous hacking exploits.

Three already? Biden has to respond…this is fucking ridiculous. Let’s also note Biden gave the Russians a major strategy energy win with removing Trump era sanctions which allows first the completion and then the control of pipeline into Europe.

Good too see you back in the thread moob 😵*💫
Where did I mention any conspiracy theory?

I agree Biden has to respond, but even if he sanctioned similar ops against Russia would you expect them to make a public statement about it?

"Yes we have authorized hacking ops to shut down Russia's oil pipeline in retaliation for their ransomware attacks" - even if we did some dirt like that they wouldn't announce it.

I disagree with you that Trump was effectively deterring Russia but I know you're dug in and I am too so we can skip that argument.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:35 AM   #500
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:

It’s no coincidence that as soon as the the Biden administration came into office Russian based hackers have launched attacks against the country. I’d like to see Biden fight back. This isn’t Trump fault
In March of last year, thousands of companies and U.S. government agencies were sent a routine software update. This happened regularly with SolarWinds Orion software. There was no reason to suspect anything was wrong with the update.

What they couldn't see at the time was a malicious piece of code buried deep within the update, a Trojan horse planted by Russian military hackers looking for a backdoor to important American computer networks.

Nine months after that compromised software update, cybersecurity firm FireEye sounded the alarm. They had been hacked. Their crown jewels, what the company calls "Red Team tools," had been stolen. FireEye suspected that anyone who had downloaded and installed the SolarWinds Orion update had been hacked too.

The U.S. Treasury Department, Department of Justice, State Department, Energy Department, and the agency that protects and transports the U.S. nuclear arsenal, didn't see the Russians rummaging through their computer networks for nine months. Businesses, including software titan Microsoft, also found their systems compromised by the update. SolarWinds says its products are used by 300,000 customers around the globe, and that 18,000 customers downloaded its compromised software update.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/solarwi...es-2021-07-04/

The biggest cyber espionage hack ever was done by Russia to us in March 2020. During trumps watch.

1. Russia and China will hack us as much and as often as they can, regardless of who is the current US president

2. Trump DID weaken our cyber security defenses and Trump DID downplay Solar Winds hack and Russia's involvement

3. Biden has taken steps in his first few months in office. He sanctioned Russia for the solar winds hack and we created and installed a new position National Cyber Director.

4. Cyber security should and mostly is bipartisan.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #501
SunnySide
Playmaker

President Donald Trump played down the SolarWinds breach and shifted blame to China in his first public remarks on a cyberattack that’s crippled numerous federal agencies.

“The Cyber Hack is far greater in the Fake News Media than in actuality,” Trump tweeted at 11:30 a.m. ET Saturday. “I have been fully briefed and everything is well under control. Russia, Russia, Russia is the priority chant when anything happens because Lamestream is, for mostly financial reasons, petrified of discussing the possibility that it may be China (it may!).”

Trump’s remarks around attribution contradict what Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Friday in an interview with conservative talk radio program “The Mark Levin Show.”

https://www.crn.com/news/security/tr...-blames-russia

White House officials had readied a statement Friday calling Russia "the main actor" in the attack, but were ordered not to release it, the Associated Press reports.

Around the same time, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in an interview that Russia is "pretty clearly" behind the attack, which hit the State Department, among many other agencies and businesses.
Saturday, Trump tweeted that the extent of the attack was being overplayed by the media and that others could be responsible for the attack, perhaps China.

Between the lines: Some security experts fear the president's position will transform what should be a unified government response to a hostile act by a foreign power into yet another personal loyalty test.

Last month Trump fired CISA director Christopher Krebs after Krebs affirmed that the 2020 election had been secure.

Anything involving "Russia, Russia, Russia" (as Trump put it in his tweet) has been a sore point for the president since Russia's hacks during the 2016 election became the foundation for years of investigations into his administration's relationship with Moscow.

https://www.axios.com/solarwinds-hac...1c0787c94.html

Receipts as you like to say ....

Its okay to acknowledge that a bankrupt tv reality personality would put his image above country ...
Old 07-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #502
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Bothsideism definitely applies when it comes to Trump and Obama interactions with Russia/Putin - Obama was soft even before he was inaugurated (The after I'm elected comments, the wrecking of NATO missile defense policy etc. and Trump has been praising/defending Putin since he was elected.

Biden hasn't been as soft as either (yet?) but that is almost certainly due to Trump's coziness with Putin rather than a rational policy decision (although in this case it works out).
Chico has a point about the lifting of the pipeline sanction - hmm close Keystone and hurt Canada and the US, but remove sanctions connected to the Euro pipeline and help Russia. I withdraw my assertion that Biden is harder on the Russians so far, he is just as bad as his two predecessors.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:56 AM   #503
SunnySide
Playmaker

The pipeline .. Ive heard 2 reasons why.

1. Germany really wanted us to lift the sanctions bc the pipeline would greatly help them (albeit make them even more dependent on russia energy). After 4 years of treating our main ally poorly, I think we are trying to mend some broken relations.

2. We want to try and work with Russia on areas where we can. We made targeted sanctions in response to Solar Winds hack and this pipeline to Germany has nothing to do with the hacking.

I did read weve "hacked" russias power grid .. or at least let them know we can hack it at any moment.

----------

But my original thought remains ... what do we do with Russia and hacking? Do you hack them back hard? Do you sanction them some more?

its not a biden or trump thing moving forward .. what do we do now?

Id say we make cyber security a top priority. the actual details, i dont know.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:39 AM   #504
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
In March of last year, thousands of companies and U.S. government agencies were sent a routine software update. This happened regularly with SolarWinds Orion software. There was no reason to suspect anything was wrong with the update.

What they couldn't see at the time was a malicious piece of code buried deep within the update, a Trojan horse planted by Russian military hackers looking for a backdoor to important American computer networks.

Nine months after that compromised software update, cybersecurity firm FireEye sounded the alarm. They had been hacked. Their crown jewels, what the company calls "Red Team tools," had been stolen. FireEye suspected that anyone who had downloaded and installed the SolarWinds Orion update had been hacked too.

The U.S. Treasury Department, Department of Justice, State Department, Energy Department, and the agency that protects and transports the U.S. nuclear arsenal, didn't see the Russians rummaging through their computer networks for nine months. Businesses, including software titan Microsoft, also found their systems compromised by the update. SolarWinds says its products are used by 300,000 customers around the globe, and that 18,000 customers downloaded its compromised software update.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/solarwi...es-2021-07-04/

The biggest cyber espionage hack ever was done by Russia to us in March 2020. During trumps watch.

1. Russia and China will hack us as much and as often as they can, regardless of who is the current US president

2. Trump DID weaken our cyber security defenses and Trump DID downplay Solar Winds hack and Russia's involvement

3. Biden has taken steps in his first few months in office. He sanctioned Russia for the solar winds hack and we created and installed a new position National Cyber Director.

4. Cyber security should and mostly is bipartisan.
Well your not gonna read the plan and what the administration did based on Cooperation with Obama and built off csnp…which included the first transparency plan between private and public sector. You say simply Trump administration lead us down the wrong path on cyber security as he dismissed someone…thats wholehearted false. Even previous Obama officials stated trump administration was focused on cyber security and heavily invested.

solar winds…terrible hack…on the Trump administration, that’s fine, I’ll take that, but weird how with all the fake Russia hoaxes this seemed to the be one Dems were quiet about. Weird right?

But that type hack versus ransom ware and major infrastructure government/business continuity issues…which affects us more? Which affects the people of this country in day to day? That’s the problem.

Saying this is trumps fault, nope…this is a Biden problem which he hasn’t responded well enough especially after his face to face.

And there is no excuse for Biden removing sanctions to allow a major strategic energy win for Russia in leu of a cyber hacks to disrupt our pipelines. Come’on man…2 scoops of ice cream ain’t good enough reason to allow it.

He Gets Us
Old 07-07-2021, 11:53 AM   #505
SunnySide
Playmaker

Foreign hacking is no ones fault. We cant stop China or Russia from trying, Id assume we are under constant multiple attacks at all times .. and that doesnt change if its a D or an R in the WH.

Its not Trumps fault then and its not Bidens fault now.

Claiming that Biden is weak on Russia and hacking bc of his decision re a pipeline that benefits our ally Germany and is not connected to cyber hacking .... thats your call.

Hopefully we make cyber security a main priority going forward ... just seems like such an untameable ever changing beast to me.

I dont think we will ever be in front of it. Honestly what our govt is doing, i dont think we will ever know or become public knowledge.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #506
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Foreign hacking is no ones fault. We cant stop China or Russia from trying, Id assume we are under constant multiple attacks at all times .. and that doesnt change if its a D or an R in the WH.

Its not Trumps fault then and its not Bidens fault now.

Claiming that Biden is weak on Russia and hacking bc of his decision re a pipeline that benefits our ally Germany and is not connected to cyber hacking .... thats your call.

Hopefully we make cyber security a main priority going forward ... just seems like such an untameable ever changing beast to me.

I dont think we will ever be in front of it. Honestly what our govt is doing, i dont think we will ever know or become public knowledge.
Agreed, that it's only the president's fault insomuch as he was the president when it happened (any president). But it's not like they are on the front lines.

And you can't stop every hack forever. It's not possible or reasonable to expect.

As much as playing defense the best you can is important, I think being able to track where the threats come from and being able to hit back twice as hard is more important.

Cyber warfare is going to be just as important as boots on the ground for the rest of humans existence on this planet.

We should be spending time, money, and resources on it like our national security depends on it. Because it does.

We can launch an offensive attack with manpower/weapons that the world has never seen before, we need to have the same capabilities with cyber warfare. Maybe we already do, like you said, I doubt that is info they will or should share.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 01:59 PM   #507
SunnySide
Playmaker

Infrastructure Bill is going to be interesting. Seems there are going to be 2 bills.

One is bipartisan at around 1.2T focused on "hard" infrastructure like roads, bridges.

Second is the Dem only one, which would be passed through reconciliation only requiring 50 + 1 (VP Harris). Manchin said he could go along with a 2T plan, Bernie wants 6T. Dem plan would include climate measures, health care, college etc.

The "infrastructure bill" is supposed to pay for itself and then some but idk. Im not keen on passing a 6T bill. 2T sounds fair enough.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:50 PM   #508
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

6 trillion…what in the actual fuck ? Amazing. Absolutely no way should we waste 6 trillion for these bullshit pet projects…I’m sure they spending on welfare so more lazy ass Democrats can sit home and not work…claiming their oppressed or some other made up bullshit excuse of being a victim

I know what I’m getting G1 for Christmas:

Lol get rekt

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 07-07-2021 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:30 PM   #509
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Infrastructure Bill is going to be interesting. Seems there are going to be 2 bills.

One is bipartisan at around 1.2T focused on "hard" infrastructure like roads, bridges.

Second is the Dem only one, which would be passed through reconciliation only requiring 50 + 1 (VP Harris). Manchin said he could go along with a 2T plan, Bernie wants 6T. Dem plan would include climate measures, health care, college etc.

The "infrastructure bill" is supposed to pay for itself and then some but idk. Im not keen on passing a 6T bill. 2T sounds fair enough.
Wow 2T sounds fair enough??? How did we get to the point where anyone thinks that is sane?
Old 07-08-2021, 07:40 AM   #510
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Fresh Start Political Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Wow 2T sounds fair enough??? How did we get to the point where anyone thinks that is sane?

By ignoring it for years and years and years. Mitch and the GOP and their “just leave well enough alone” attitude. Now we have major issues across the board as a result of the do nothing GOP.
It’s the same as not paying your bills or taxes for years. All of the sudden you have a mountain of debt. Its just on a larger scale because we are talking about an entire country not a single family home.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote