Non QB pick 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2024, 09:26 AM   #481
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCommandersfan99 View Post
He's been healthy the last 2 seasons. Kid is too good to worry about previous issues unless something comes up in a physical. Kid is a total baller. Beating Oregon twice, Texas, and rolling the Pac 12 is no joke at all.
Impressive resume.

Honestly, I think opting out of their bowl games could end up hurting C Williams & D Maye. Especially if Penix continues to impress.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-02-2024, 09:38 AM   #482
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Impressive resume.

Honestly, I think opting out of their bowl games could end up hurting C Williams & D Maye. Especially if Penix continues to impress.
Penix has the mental attributes also to be a star in the NFL. He is controlled but still fiery, always in command, and a leader. No off the field issues at all. It will be interesting to where these qbs go: Penix, C Williams, Maye, Daniels. Each have their own attributes but all are super talented.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:46 AM   #483
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Impressive resume.

Penix has been doing this now for two years in a row. He gets looked over because he's out in Seattle. He's the best player in the country. Draft him and don't even worry about trading back. If you can then great but he'd be a homerun for us.

He's an elite passer- that means the ability to see the field, throw w/ anticipation, accuracy and power. Oh- and he showed that he can run the ball when needed. Just not so sure the other guys have that total package. I know Caleb doesn't. Caleb is going to be Kyler Williams. He has those exact same traits and I don't want that guy. We need a bad ass mature adult in the room.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:51 AM   #484
skinsfan69
Living Legend

To the guys that opt out, that bothers me a lot. I'm not the biggest fan of Bo Nix but he gets a ton of respect. You go out there w/ your teammates and you play that last game. All these guys that don't play their final games, it would just rub me the wrong way. Very telling that the guys on USC seemed to be taking a small shot at Caleb. Talking about "we're a team" idk.. maybe I'd reading too much into it.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:53 AM   #485
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
To the guys that opt out, that bothers me a lot. I'm not the biggest fan of Bo Nix but he gets a ton of respect. You go out there w/ your teammates and you play that last game. All these guys that don't play their final games, it would just rub me the wrong way. Very telling that the guys on USC seemed to be taking a small shot at Caleb. Talking about "we're a team" idk.. maybe I'd reading too much into it.
I want Caleb Williams to go No. 1 overall (taking him out of our equation). Then we can take the next QB that the new GM has rated the highest. I'll be excited about any of the three of Daniels, Maye, or Penix.

I'm starting to think their draft order will go:

Williams, Daniels, Penix, Maye

If we stay at 2, no way the pick isn't a QB. Can't imagine a GM not really liking 2 of those 4.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:42 PM   #486
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

The new Commanders football hierarchy will no doubt make thorough evaluations of all of the quarterbacks mentioned here. I would even add McCarthy of Michigan to this group. So it looks like a deep group at QB. However, none of the expert sources I have read has said that any quarterbacks other than Williams and Maye are worthy of being picked first or second in this draft. In fact one source I read talked to twelve current NFL GM's all of whom said that Williams and Maye are the top two QB's in this draft. So no, I don't want Daniels or Penix or McCarthy. I only want Williams or Maye.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:44 PM   #487
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
The new Commanders football hierarchy will no doubt make thorough evaluations of all of the quarterbacks mentioned here. I would even add McCarthy of Michigan to this group. So it looks like a deep group at QB. However, none of the expert sources I have read has said that any quarterbacks other than Williams and Maye are worthy of being picked first or second in this draft. In fact one source I read talked to twelve current NFL GM's all of whom said that Williams and Maye are the top two QB's in this draft. So no, I don't want Daniels or Penix or McCarthy. I only want Williams or Maye.
Those evaluations will change next week when Penix who has beaten Williams, wins a National Championship.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 01:29 PM   #488
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I think it's premature to declare Williams/Maye as the top two going into the draft. I understand that has been the order all year, but I think the gap is narrowing and could be completely different in a couple months.

And this is the time of year where I don't put too much stock into what GMs say with regard to their evaluations of players. It's creeping up on lying season.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 01:51 PM   #489
jamf
Pro Bowl

Interesting stats when a QB is on the move:

Daniels is going to run with it.
Williams is going to chuck it for big yards.
Penix is going to throw it at gophers.

Penix is going to need an elite line in front of him to be successful.

jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:14 PM   #490
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Interesting stats when a QB is on the move:

Daniels is going to run with it.
Williams is going to chuck it for big yards.
Penix is going to throw it at gophers.

Penix is going to need an elite line in front of him to be successful.

Penix is LEGIT , but hes also 24 years old and should be balling out on college kids. I think thats worth noting.

If I'm WSH I take Williams or Maye
Old 01-02-2024, 04:30 PM   #491
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I'd like to see how those numbers stack up to the pro qb's. Is there a statistical correlation between being elite and throwing more when you're moved off your spot?
Old 01-02-2024, 04:32 PM   #492
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Jayden Daniels saw his completion % go up from 65.4% to 68.6% to 72.2% from 2021-2023. That is damn impressive. 40 TDs to only 4 picks. And he rushed for over 1100 yards. 4900+ total yards.

I'm getting all aboard the Daniels hype-train. The last LSU heisman winning QB from LSU turned out pretty damn good.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:34 PM   #493
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Jayden Daniels saw his completion % go up from 65.4% to 68.6% to 72.2% from 2021-2023. That is damn impressive. 40 TDs to only 4 picks. And he rushed for over 1100 yards. 4900+ total yards.

I'm getting all aboard the Daniels hype-train. The last LSU heisman winning QB from LSU turned out pretty damn good.
I don't watch a ton of college football, what kind of offense does he run at LSU? Pro-style or gimmicky college offense that doesn't translate well to the pros?
Old 01-02-2024, 04:39 PM   #494
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I don't watch a ton of college football, what kind of offense does he run at LSU? Pro-style or gimmicky college offense that doesn't translate well to the pros?
It's hard to tell imo, without watching All-22 of a number of games. But LSU leads the NCAAF in yards per pass attempt (1st link) and 4th in yards per completion (2nd link). Those are pretty good signs. Air Force is in both which seems weird, but they run an option offense so they shock teams w/ the pass.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college...r-pass-attempt

https://www.teamrankings.com/college...per-completion

Highlights show plenty of balls down the field, but they are highlights:

Note - It doesn't seem to matter what type of offense teams run, QB's can hit or bust from any type college offense. Most teams all run the same stuff now too. I think you could ask the same question for all 3 of the other guys as well.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:45 PM   #495
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
It's hard to tell imo, without watching All-22 of a number of games. But LSU leads the NCAAF in yards per pass attempt (1st link) and 4th in yards per completion (2nd link). Those are pretty good signs. Air Force is in both which seems weird, but they run an option offense so they shock teams w/ the pass.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college...r-pass-attempt

https://www.teamrankings.com/college...per-completion

Highlights show plenty of balls down the field, but they are highlights:

Sure love balls down the field