19: R1 P19 OT Christian Darrisaw - Virginia Tech
51: R2 P19 QB Mac Jones - Alabama
74: R3 P10 WR Amon-Ra St. Brown - USC
82: R3 P18 S Paris Ford - Pittsburgh
124: R4 P19 CB Robert Rochell - Central Arkansas
164: R5 P19 LB Charles Snowden - UVA
243: R7 P17 TE Quintin Morris - Bowling Green
245: R7 P19 G Brenden Jaimes - Nebraska
Darrisaw or JOK in the first round is my vote. If Jones somehow fell into the bottom of the first round (don’t think this will happen realistically) how would you feel about trading back up into the 1st round to get him. Our 2nd and a late round pick may do it. Is that considered a value pick? Maybe not, but it’s definitely intriguing. Just like QBs are over drafted every year, there are always reached and players they fall unexpectedly in the draft every year.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2021, 08:10 PM   #482
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Re: The Too Soon 2021 NFL Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Darrisaw or JOK in the first round is my vote. If Jones somehow fell into the bottom of the first round (don’t think this will happen realistically) how would you feel about trading back up into the 1st round to get him. Our 2nd and a late round pick may do it. Is that considered a value pick? Maybe not, but it’s definitely intriguing. Just like QBs are over drafted every year, there are always reached and players they fall unexpectedly in the draft every year.

Honestly? If Mac Jones was around at 19 in the first round, I would almost prefer trading back so the Saints or somebody could draft him at 19 ... which I think would happen. I mean, I just don't see him falling to the second round at all.

Get a later first, and another second ...
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:49 PM   #483
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post
Honestly? If Mac Jones was around at 19 in the first round, I would almost prefer trading back so the Saints or somebody could draft him at 19 ... which I think would happen. I mean, I just don't see him falling to the second round at all.

Get a later first, and another second ...
With that plan you have to get someone in FA though. I agree there zero chance he falls to the second, and unlikely he falls even to 19, or lower in the 1st, but I just thought it was an interesting scenario. Something crazy like that always happens every year during the draft.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:35 PM   #484
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I agree, LB is harder to find than WR.
If you are talking what is economical, MLBs can be had cheap in FA, while outside that can pass cover, even if not edge rushers, cost a bit more. This FA loaded with WRs, but you pay through teeth for them.

It is interesting to ask what FA does. We swung for fences for huge name WR last year FA, but most other signings were judicious and budget friendly. You could make a credible argument that the case history shows we'll sign a big name stud WR, and also that with so many WRs we might find a second tier FA that is still very good and try and get him for 30% or 40% of price of one of the huge names.

I don't love Darrishaw at OT. He seems more a plodding run blocker than a super athletic pass rusher. I think you aim for latter, as with Williams. You can teach a pass blocker to run block, but vice versa can be much more challenging. The question becomes does staff think S. Charles is still a truly viable franchise LT? If I'm not going QB with 1st round pick, I'm still looking to plug one of the other high-leverage positions, LT,WR,CB. I would not be surprised to see us go corner though. I think FS is also an immense long-term need. If there is a FS with true CB skills and 4.4 speed, sitting at #19, that fills an IMMENSE long term need, and you can resign FSs for less than WR or CBs cost.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #485
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I'd almost suggest if Mac Jones was there at #19 then we trade back for more picks and go after someone like Mond in the 4th or maybe even 3rd round. To me the likes of Jones and Trask don't fit the mould of what we need/the NFL wants and we risk reaching if we take Jones at #19 or even think of trading up.

I'd take BPA and risk waiting another year to find our rookie QB, if we don't find a diamond lower down. Let the other teams scramble around with trades etc. to get 'their guy', while we build a team for a 3-4 year run, not all or nothing now. They'll use up picks on busts more like as not, while we get a draft full of prospects hopefully.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #486
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I'd almost suggest if Mac Jones was there at #19 then we trade back for more picks and go after someone like Mond in the 4th or maybe even 3rd round. To me the likes of Jones and Trask don't fit the mould of what we need/the NFL wants and we risk reaching if we take Jones at #19 or even think of trading up.

I'd take BPA and risk waiting another year to find our rookie QB, if we don't find a diamond lower down. Let the other teams scramble around with trades etc. to get 'their guy', while we build a team for a 3-4 year run, not all or nothing now. They'll use up picks on busts more like as not, while we get a draft full of prospects hopefully.
It's not likely that scenario will play out. If a team drafting after WFT really wants Mac Jones (Chicago, Pittsburgh, New Orleans), they will probably move up to get him before WFT has a chance to draft him. If Jones is there at #18, that is when the trade will occur - with Miami.

I am a fan of drafting a guy like Mond or Newman in round 4 or 5 though, if they like one of those guys.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #487
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
With that plan you have to get someone in FA though. I agree there zero chance he falls to the second, and unlikely he falls even to 19, or lower in the 1st, but I just thought it was an interesting scenario. Something crazy like that always happens every year during the draft.

Yeah .. that's true. I shoulda stipulated that. I guess I assume that will happen.

I like Jones, and hell, he could become a bad ass. And if we have a chance at him, and pass, and he blows up, well ... that'll suck.

But I think adding a second round pick would allow us to do something like OT first round, S second round, LB second round ... with two 3rd round picks to grab WR, and BPA ..... setting us up nicely for the future.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #488
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles...ey-senior-bowl

I like this kid
Old 02-24-2021, 02:55 PM   #489
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:

His accuracy numbers are astounding. He could easily become a great one.

Or .... maybe not ...

It's def tricky!
Old 02-24-2021, 06:32 PM   #490
VTSkins1961
Special Teams

Quote:
If he is there at 19 I''d take him. I might even trade up to get him. a pick and a player - it would really depend on how far we would have to trade up....

Another Option a need position and Trask in the 2nd round
VTSkins1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:43 PM   #491
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:

Come to think of it, you were pimping Tua hard last year too ....

Is it ALL Bama QB's? Or just those two?
Old 02-24-2021, 08:56 PM   #492
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Come to think of it, you were pimping Tua hard last year too ....

Is it ALL Bama QB's? Or just those two?
lmao U git me... I'm really Nick Saban
Old 02-24-2021, 10:57 PM   #493
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post

You could argue that Jones needs more arm strength to be a legit franchise QB, not a small shortcoming, but some scouts argue his arm is strong enough. He checks all the other boxes. The "mould" of running QBs isn't what wins long term. Following the herd isn't usually wise.

I agree with long-term view, but we should be looking for a pocket passer, not a running QB. I think a fair rating of Jones is late 1st to perhaps late 2nd, so the question then becomes do you reach a bit for a potential franchise QB? Depends what the scouts say in their assessment. I don't think it matters. I think Jones is gone, long gone, by #19. I think pro scouts understand pocket passers are what win long term, for at least a half dozen teams at least, and one of them will pounce on Jones, especially outside the top-10 if he's still there. I think Jones is at minimum the 2nd best prospect in this QB class. He learns fast and knows pro-style offenses. He can come in right away and lead. He reminds me Peyton Manning, Brees, Brady, Eli Manning, etc., in his approach, style, and intangible.

People assuming you need a RB at QB are wrong, period. The QBs that enjoy long-term success in NFL are all pocket passers. I am not drafting any QB in the 1st round if they haven't succeeded in a pro-style system reading Ds. You do that, the bust rate decreases MASSIVELY. Again, exhibits A and B, RGIII and Haskins.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:06 PM   #494
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
It's not likely that scenario will play out. If a team drafting after WFT really wants Mac Jones (Chicago, Pittsburgh, New Orleans), they will probably move up to get him before WFT has a chance to draft him. If Jones is there at #18, that is when the trade will occur - with Miami.

I am a fan of drafting a guy like Mond or Newman in round 4 or 5 though, if they like one of those guys.
Not so sure on Miami. I don't think Jones makes it past Patriots. Belicheat takes him in a heartbeat there, methinks.

From 10-18 picks, number of teams with QB solved, and also number of teams with starting QBs that could look to improve. How much do Vikes believe in Cousins? Niners in never-healthy Garrop? You really want him, other teams I mean, you need to trade up over other teams who also want him, so teams make sure they are moving up high enough to actually get him. I think there could be a lot of action to trade into 14 before Pats if Jones on board. Anywhere between 10 and 14. Also, keep in mind, mock draft Homers also often rank QBs different than pro scouts. Jones could easily be gone top-10.

I would favor taking him at #19 if there, but seriously doubt he will be. I think if you bring Jones in and give him massive reps in camp, he is immediately better year one than Smith or Allen, even a healthy Smith. Hein the X factor. Then ideally take Ramsey later in draft, and have Jones, Ramsey, Hein. THat'll never happen because Jones won't be there at 19 and RR will want a safety valve, a proven veteran with a known floor.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:07 PM   #495
Scalper

Quote:
Yeah I agree. Depending on how we address QB before the draft, I could easily see us pulling the trigger on Jones if he is still there in the first round.

I go back and forth on Jones. I could see him being great (he feels like a Drew Brees -- not off the charts in physical ability, but smart as hell, and runs the system to perfection). And I could see him being a big teaset (a la Kirk Cousins - lotsa stats, but never breaking through when it counts)

Getting him in the second round? I think he's a solid pick.

But in the first? Who knows ...
The real question is whether he is there at #19 in the first round. LOL.