Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

New Games on the Horizon (the video game thread)

Parking Lot

Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #481
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

re: New Games on the Horizon (the video game thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I might be the nerdiest person on here but I right now am stoked as hell for the midnight release tomorrow of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

I have been a fan of this game since the beginning, both my brother and I. And I really feel like we are witnessing a once in a lifetime event happening with a game such as that. I don't think any other moment in my gaming life will be the same as when I crack open Skyrim. And I think anything I do after that moment is definatley down hill gaming wise. Tomorrow is the mountain top, there will never be anything else like it.

The elder scrolls has taken 7 years of my life so far 2003- Present. Unless there is an Elder Scrolls 6, i don't think anything else can ever compare to it.
As someone who's never played Skyrim before but has been intrigued by the hype, I was wondering if you would take the time to please explain to me what's so awesome about the games? I know it's a free roam type dealie, and that's about where all my interest comes from, as I love free roam games.

Advertisements
Old 11-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #482
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
As someone who's never played Skyrim before but has been intrigued by the hype, I was wondering if you would take the time to please explain to me what's so awesome about the games? I know it's a free roam type dealie, and that's about where all my interest comes from, as I love free roam games.
Okay i will attempt to answer that question the best I can.

The Elder Scrolls games that were made for next gen machines (PC, XBOX, XBOX 360) were among some of the most intricate, graphically surperior, most fully immersive games that I have ever seen in my life.

Every single detail almost has its own life. Birds fly around on their own. Creatures roam freely. Pedestrians and townspeople carry out their own interactions and lives. You would think all of this is set to run on a script, but No, the game reacts to you and your actions and every time you play you get a unique experience.

There are no rules, essentially, no boundaries. It is an open-world, free-roam game in most amazing fantasy setting ever imagined. Do what ever you want, be whatever you want. You can be the most evil soul walking the earth, killing everyone in your path. Guards will attack you on site once you reach a certain notoriety level. Citizens won't speak to you anymore, they will flee. And the crazy thing is you can still complete the main quest that way.

There are thousands of clothing, armor, and weapon choices. Saying the world is limitless is really an understatement. Explore huge towns. Roam the countryside killing animals, raiders, and bandits. Explore hundreds of dungeons and caves. I'm telling you these games are so amazing in the free-roam aspect that I have always felt like the MAIN QUEST was a side-note.

Google some images of The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion which came out in 2006, and Morrowind, which came out in 2002-2003. You can see even in the old game, how amazing the graphics were for their time.

The world just sucks you in. It's like real life. You hear leaves falling, can see high grass sway in the wind. Thunderstorms will happen randomley. Sometimes it's so bad you can't see, sometimes it's a gentle rain. Night and Day changes are awesome.

Now most of the hype regarding Skyrim involves basically the fact that for the last several years, Bethesda Softworks has listened to the fans to add in ideas that they have wanted for the last couple years. For example, you can now dual wield weapons in each hand. Same goes for creating spells in each hand. Armor and Weapons no longer degrade. You can now have an individual class of character that has a unique "skill tree". In the past, you only could be granted a few different perks based on what "Star" you chose at the beginning.

The weather in Skyrim is fully rendered at every detail. The game takes place in a mountainous region, snow falls at times lightly, other times blizzard-like. The snow actually does accumulate right before your eyes. I could go on and on all night about this game, but I am do to leave soon to go to a midnight release party at Gamestop with my wife.

Please take the time to watch a youtube video of Skyrim to experience it for yourself. As a life-long gamer who will continue to play throughout my life, for as long as I can (hopefully my entire life), I can tell you assuredly these are the finest games ever created, and the best that I have ever played.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #483
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Okay i will attempt to answer that question the best I can.

The Elder Scrolls games that were made for next gen machines (PC, XBOX, XBOX 360) were among some of the most intricate, graphically surperior, most fully immersive games that I have ever seen in my life.

Every single detail almost has its own life. Birds fly around on their own. Creatures roam freely. Pedestrians and townspeople carry out their own interactions and lives. You would think all of this is set to run on a script, but No, the game reacts to you and your actions and every time you play you get a unique experience.

There are no rules, essentially, no boundaries. It is an open-world, free-roam game in most amazing fantasy setting ever imagined. Do what ever you want, be whatever you want. You can be the most evil soul walking the earth, killing everyone in your path. Guards will attack you on site once you reach a certain notoriety level. Citizens won't speak to you anymore, they will flee. And the crazy thing is you can still complete the main quest that way.

There are thousands of clothing, armor, and weapon choices. Saying the world is limitless is really an understatement. Explore huge towns. Roam the countryside killing animals, raiders, and bandits. Explore hundreds of dungeons and caves. I'm telling you these games are so amazing in the free-roam aspect that I have always felt like the MAIN QUEST was a side-note.

Google some images of The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion which came out in 2006, and Morrowind, which came out in 2002-2003. You can see even in the old game, how amazing the graphics were for their time.

The world just sucks you in. It's like real life. You hear leaves falling, can see high grass sway in the wind. Thunderstorms will happen randomley. Sometimes it's so bad you can't see, sometimes it's a gentle rain. Night and Day changes are awesome.

Now most of the hype regarding Skyrim involves basically the fact that for the last several years, Bethesda Softworks has listened to the fans to add in ideas that they have wanted for the last couple years. For example, you can now dual wield weapons in each hand. Same goes for creating spells in each hand. Armor and Weapons no longer degrade. You can now have an individual class of character that has a unique "skill tree". In the past, you only could be granted a few different perks based on what "Star" you chose at the beginning.

The weather in Skyrim is fully rendered at every detail. The game takes place in a mountainous region, snow falls at times lightly, other times blizzard-like. The snow actually does accumulate right before your eyes. I could go on and on all night about this game, but I am do to leave soon to go to a midnight release party at Gamestop with my wife.

Please take the time to watch a youtube video of Skyrim to experience it for yourself. As a life-long gamer who will continue to play throughout my life, for as long as I can (hopefully my entire life), I can tell you assuredly these are the finest games ever created, and the best that I have ever played.
Awesome! Thanks bro, much appreciated. I wanted to hear it from someone who's played these games for a while, I already checked out the Wiki page and it just felt like there was too much going on at once for me to really get the idea of what the game is all about, without getting into too much history/storyline/etc.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #484
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #485
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post

Nazi Zombies. The double threat.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:39 AM   #486
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 11-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #487
mredskins
Gamebreaker

So my 360 died last night with the RROD.

Anybody have suggestions on how to get a cheaper one as replacement.

Part of me says F it and just chuck and use my PS3 but I do like playing some of the Xbox only games.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #488
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
So my 360 died last night with the RROD.

Anybody have suggestions on how to get a cheaper one as replacement.

Part of me says F it and just chuck and use my PS3 but I do like playing some of the Xbox only games.
I know a decent number of local repair shops offer to fix em for about $60
Old 11-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #489
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post
I know a decent number of local repair shops offer to fix em for about $60

Thanks, I just bought the 4G slim with Kinect for $300 at best buy and they give you a $100 gift card with the purchases. So $200 basically and it has a warranty for at least a year.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #490
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

What....the....fuuuuuu?

- FRPLG
Old 12-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #491
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I started playing Zelda Twilight Princesses; great game. I love Zelda games, well put together and the puzzles are challenging.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #492
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Zelda is another favorite series of mine to play. I am actually playing A Legend of Zelda: A link to the past, on my trusty old SNES emulator.

It was my absolute favorite game as a child, playing it is still fun and challenging, and it brings back soo many memories of when life was fun lol.

I play it about once a year, taking a break from Skyrim right now, that I have been completley immersed in since it came out.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #493
MTK
\m/

So Skyrim is good? I've been hearing a lot of buzz about it but I can't break away from BF3 just yet.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #494
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
So Skyrim is good? I've been hearing a lot of buzz about it but I can't break away from BF3 just yet.

I tried the other one, Oblivion I think when it got all these great reviews as well.

From what I have gather from yo uover the years we have similar gaming interest and I am willing to bet you won't like Skyrim. I don't think yo ulike any RPG's and this is the mother of RPG's.

I like the idea of RPG's but I just don't have the time for them or patience.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #495
MTK
\m/

I was big into Zelda back in the day... are the GTA games considered to be RPG?