Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins pay or trade Trent Williams?
Pay him 34 46.58%
Trade him 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #481
Irrefutable
The Starter

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

FYI

Penn said he spoke to Trent before he signed.

And Penn said he wanted to go to a team where he would start.

Advertisements
Old 08-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #482
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I really don't see it that way. The Redskins hold his rights and can still just sit back and do nothing. When he starts missing hefty game checks then I'll believe it's a fractured relationship. Until then everything is just a bunch of rumors.

As for the Pats, I hope we don't trade with them. We already know who'll get the short end of the stick. Bruce Allen should never ever ever be in charge of any trades, ever.
If the team does nothing his trade value will only continue to diminish. Best to trade him now. We saw with Cousins what jerking around does.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:01 AM   #483
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
If the team does nothing his trade value will only continue to diminish. Best to trade him now. We saw with Cousins what jerking around does.
Agreed... if they know he really doesn't want to be here and it's not only about the money. But I do hope they know more than we do, so if money can bring him back, add on a few bucks and keep your best player !
Old 08-01-2019, 09:05 AM   #484
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Problem is, what are the skins getting in return? They won't just dump him for a 3rd rd pick.

I would call Minnesota who needs a LT bad and say Diggs for Trent straight up.

Or I would call Cleveland who also needs LT and say Trent for Landry straight up.

If you aren't getting a pro bowl type player in return, keep him.. Eventually he will show up
Old 08-01-2019, 09:49 AM   #485
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Problem is, what are the skins getting in return? They won't just dump him for a 3rd rd pick.

Or I would call Cleveland who also needs LT and say Trent for Landry straight up.

If you aren't getting a pro bowl type player in return, keep him.. Eventually he will show up
This made me think of a Champ/Portis type trade. My question is where does DS allegiance fall, I would think he would consider letting Allen go before Williams unlike Bailey.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #486
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
This made me think of a Champ/Portis type trade. My question is where does DS allegiance fall, I would think he would consider letting Allen go before Williams unlike Bailey.

Yep exactly like that scenario, if this team really lets TW go for a fucking 3rd rd pick or even a 3rd and a 5th, I'd be HIGHLY pissed off. He's a top 3 LT in football which is the 2nd most important position on the field. Penn could be a good 1 year band-aid. Adding Diggs would be my #1 choice, that fixes WR1 for a while.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:26 AM   #487
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:

Trent's an awesome player but I think expecting Diggs or Landry back in trade is wishful thinking mainly because of relative age. Trent is 31 and has missed games each of the last few years. Landry and Diggs are so much younger and in prime.

If I get an offer for a 1st rounder I'd probably take it, but I'm not sure anybody would actually offer that. I continue to think the best course is stare him down, make him decide in week 1.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #488
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Trent's an awesome player but I think expecting Diggs or Landry back in trade is wishful thinking mainly because of relative age. Trent is 31 and has missed games each of the last few years. Landry and Diggs are so much younger and in prime.

If I get an offer for a 1st rounder I'd probably take it, but I'm not sure anybody would actually offer that. I continue to think the best course is stare him down, make him decide in week 1.
Same here, just wait it out. He will lose money once games roll around. If his stance is truly "Get rid of the medical staff or else" than I highly doubt he will really sit the entire season. I'm sure he is working out daily as well.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:41 AM   #489
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Same here, just wait it out. He will lose money once games roll around. If his stance is truly "Get rid of the medical staff or else" than I highly doubt he will really sit the entire season. I'm sure he is working out daily as well.
If the staff he wants gone is anyone other then BA they should already be gone

Old 08-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #490
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

This is where I am

He Gets Us
Old 08-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #491
Schneed10
A Dude

Reading between the lines a bit...

Penn said he talked with Trent and wanted to go someplace where he had a chance to start. Penn also said that he and Trent talked a bit about the swing role, and Penn said he'd be comfortable doing that if the team needed.

It tells me, from that conversation, that Trent's preference is definitely to get out of Washington but at the same time he knows he can't control it, and that he might be forced to come back week 1 if he's not traded, moving Penn to swing tackle.

I think it's a little window into the way Trent's thinking. The team has more leverage than it first seemed, now that Penn is in house. I think Trent acknowledges that he will play rather than give up $11M in game checks, even though he'd prefer the staff be canned or a trade.

If Bruce stares him down, he'll come back to play for us. But I don't think he'd consider resigning here and you wonder how much of an issue he becomes over the course of the next two years. There is some sense in taking a trade if the offer is good enough.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #492
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Reading between the lines a bit...

Penn said he talked with Trent and wanted to go someplace where he had a chance to start. Penn also said that he and Trent talked a bit about the swing role, and Penn said he'd be comfortable doing that if the team needed.

It tells me, from that conversation, that Trent's preference is definitely to get out of Washington but at the same time he knows he can't control it, and that he might be forced to come back week 1 if he's not traded, moving Penn to swing tackle.

I think it's a little window into the way Trent's thinking. The team has more leverage than it first seemed, now that Penn is in house. I think Trent acknowledges that he will play rather than give up $11M in game checks, even though he'd prefer the staff be canned or a trade.

If Bruce stares him down, he'll come back to play for us. But I don't think he'd consider resigning here and you wonder how much of an issue he becomes over the course of the next two years. There is some sense in taking a trade if the offer is good enough.

Honestly his contract has 2 years left right? By then he'll be 33-34. Most LTs dont last that long after 34.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:23 AM   #493
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:

For the reason you mentioned, of age and missing 1/4 of the games the last 3 years I doubt an offer of a 1st would happen. I honestly think you are looking at a second at best. If he was 25 and never missed a start with his ability you could probably get a pair of 1's for him.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #494
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
This is a nightmare but the correct approach.

If Bruce wants to hold Trent hostage with this medical staff, Trent will get a second and third opinion on every injury and miss significant game time trying to keep himself healthy for when he is a free agent. If Trent is traded, we free up $23m over the next 2 years that we can use to resign Scherff(If he wants to stay).

Trent at 33 will still be a top 5 LT in the league and probably play for 4-5 additional years. TW is a freak athlete and in great shape for his size. He will be able to play a long time like Jackie Slater and Bruce Mathews.

It's a god damn shame it's come to this.

Last edited by jamf; 08-01-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #495
Schneed10
A Dude

Well said jamf. At some point Dan Snyder needs to make Bruce Allen wear the hat for this. Allen has been shrewd at making sure we don't get into cap trouble but he's responsible for alienating Cousins and and he's responsible for this bullshit with Trent.

On one hand I cringe at bringing up Cousins because I prefer to move on, but if you're evaluating the performance of the team president you have to look back at what happened and what could have been, if handled differently.

Allen fails through that lens in so many ways.

Let's see what happens with Trent. Right now I'm so fixated on what the offense will look like in week 1 I can barely think about anything else. At the end of the season when we're 7-9 again I'll break out the torches and pitchforks for Allen.