Start John Beck Madness Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #481
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I was pushing for Beck in the offseason b/c I felt like we knew Grossman's limitations and that we had a large enough sample size that we knew he was going to cost us some games. Many people made the same argument.

Many people pushed for Grossman b/c they felt Beck has had ample opportunity to show he could start but he failed to take the job in his prior stops or even show enough to rate as a good solid number 2 guy and that, based on his inability, he simple could not succeed as a QB.

My fear is that both arguments were 100% right. We've already seen that the Rex dissenters were pretty damn close to right on.
Basically, this.

Beck needs to be given his shot, basically because RG did nothing with his. He didn't prove that he could get past his interception-laden past. He didn't prove he could provide enough mobility and confidence to run a KS designed offense. He didn't prove that he could raise our per game points total. So, we move on.

Now Beck needs to prove that he can lead a team. Make throws accurately (his first time in didn't look that good, but man, would we be saying that if Stallworth made that one catch?). And he needs to say he can win when a team studies him.

All that aside, I think MS and BA have given us a team where a solid young qb can come in and make huge strides. We have a defense that doesn't give up, and doesn't give away points, opponents have to earn everything first down, and every point. We have enough of a running threat that IF a qb can keep the box from being stacked, we can move the football on the ground, and we have a young group of receivers in AA, TAustin, and Gaffney, that can give a young qb some solid targets. (Santana too if he sticks around).
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #482
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Beck and Grossman are irellavant and will be irrelevant next year unless we go with another placeholder while our new QB gets an edjumakation.
Sadly, this is just a practice year for the whole team.
If we end up in the middle of the pack in the first round of the draft next year we are going to have to give up some high picks to get someone like Landry Jones.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #483
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Even if we ignore the fact that Beck has not started since 2007 and wasn't expecting to be thrown into the fire this week and had not practiced with the first team...he played GREAT. If Stallworth and Gaffney had both caught those two well-thrown, perfectly catchable deep passes from Beck, he'd be 10-15 with what, close to 180 yards and 2 TDs, with one on the ground and one in the air. Also, we could have come back to tie the game if not for the Carlos Rogers impersonations on offense.

Beck looks more poised, more mobile, more accurate, smarter in decision-making, less-flustered under pressure...light years ahead of Grossman. I really believe the reason Rex got he job was his 3 years' experience in the offense. However, his tenure makes the types of mistakes he's making even less acceptable. He should know better. He's making blunders we couldn't accept for a rookie who missed training camp. He fumbles when hit constantly. He throws into triple-coverage regularly. Yes, he has good games, but he has the same number of absolutely disastrous games. I was willing to put up with his weekly 1 fumble and 1 pick...but yesterday is just completely ridiculous and we all know this wasn't an anomaly...Rex can and likely will have more games like this if left in for 16 games.

Beck must start. I wanted him going into Week 1. I was dreading the game when "Bad Rex" appears...well, it happened. This is a game we should have easily won and we nearly did, but Rex dug a hole so deep, no one could come in and pull us out of it. However, Beck almost did in just 2 drives if the WRs could have done their job.

Even if Beck isn't a dynamic, big-play QB...he'll never be THAT bad.

Our offense STILL have given up the fewest points in the NFC and it's not even close...83 points, second is San Fran with 97 and everyone else is over 100. Only Baltimore has given up fewer points in the whole league. Our D held Vick, Jackson, Maclin and McCoy to 20 points even WITH GROSSMAN'S FOUR INTERCEPTIONS. He was practically handing them points and the D still did not let the game get away. We will have a great season and still challenge for the division title if we play Beck and the running game has the success it is capable of. Our D is currently ranked 6th in the NFL and we've played some tough teams.

Last edited by Monkeydad; 10-17-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #484
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

For as much shit as I've given Grossman lately, the receivers/te's/backs didn't help him out yesterday. Inconsistency was the order of the day as far as our pass catchers played. Still though, Grossman is not one of those qb's who can sling it into double or triple coverage, and that's what he did.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #485
Monkeydad
Living Legend

There is no way you can blame his INTs yesterday on the receivers. He threw the ball directly into the defenders' hands/chests...sometimes without a Redskins receiver even in the vicinity.

Now, we can make a case that Stallworth and Gaffney let Beck down...they dropped easy ones from him for big gains/TDs.

His only ugly throw that I remember was the rollout/pass back across the field to Torain. It hit the ground and was nowhere near an Eagle. You gotta expect some rust from not playing since 2007, but he looks GREAT to me.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #486
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I'd be curious to see that INT following Hall's interception again. Or hear what was said about it. But it looked like he expected Davis to curl in. Someone messed up there

To me still one of the worst throws was the short pass to Cooley
Old 10-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #487
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'd be curious to see that INT following Hall's interception again. Or hear what was said about it. But it looked like he expected Davis to curl in. Someone messed up there

After the game yesterday , Davis said that he was supposed to cross the safeties face , and messed up ...... maybe he just said that to save his QB from more grief ?
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #488
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:

I bet Chris agrees. Gone for 6 weeks after that one.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #489
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by budw38 View Post
After the game yesterday , Davis said that he was supposed to cross the safeties face , and messed up ...... maybe he just said that to save his QB from more grief ?
Well it matches up with what I heard someone else say (off the record), but I wasn't sure if anything more was said about it.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #490
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Even Rex's best play, the flea flicker completion...was thrown into triple coverage. Bad decision...luckily it was a rare perfect pass from him.

If he had played the 4th quarter, we would have witnessed a 5 or 6 INT game.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #491
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Everyone acts like drafting a QB next year makes us a legit team lmao u guys do realize besides Luck all the others are a crap shoot
So it doesn't stand out from any other class other than having a sure thing?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #492
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:

I read where Davis took the blame for 2 of rex's interceptions,that it was on him,not Rex.Still if you take those 2 away,that still leaves 2 too many
Old 10-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #493
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
There is no way you can blame his INTs yesterday on the receivers. He threw the ball directly into the defenders' hands/chests...sometimes without a Redskins receiver even in the vicinity.

Now, we can make a case that Stallworth and Gaffney let Beck down...they dropped easy ones from him for big gains/TDs.

His only ugly throw that I remember was the rollout/pass back across the field to Torain. It hit the ground and was nowhere near an Eagle. You gotta expect some rust from not playing since 2007, but he looks GREAT to me.
Rex's first INT could have been prevented if Fred Davis had made greater effort to catch the ball at its highest point. Davis kept that ball from being a touchdown.

I'm not absolving Rex. He obviously had several other really ghastly throws.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #494
zeesson
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
I read where Davis took the blame for 2 of rex's interceptions,that it was on him,not Rex.Still if you take those 2 away,that still leaves 2 too many
It's weird to me that Beck came into the same game, with those same recievers, when that same defense KNEW we had to pass the ball, and didn't throw into coverage one single time.
zeesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #495
Mechanix544
The Starter

Look. The guy threw 4 INTs. That makes 9 in the past FOUR games, and he should have at least 11 if not for some ridiculous Carlos Rogers-esque drops. Those that are arguing about who is responsible for what interception are missing the point, the bottom line. He is the field general, the signal caller, the top guy. He is the last person to touch the ball before it lands in a defenders hands, period. Why do we never hear about other teams quarterbacks and who is responsible for their interceptions? Probably because the rest of their play is up to snuff, at least to overlook a few missteps and chalk it up to a learning experience. If history is any indicator at ALL, this is not the case with rex grossman, period. This guy stays on the roster only because of the fact that we need bodies in case our other quarterback goes down in case of an injury. We have BARELY gotten by several talent challenged teams and eeked out our wins. This has to stop now.

The Washington Redskins have enough to contend with within their own conference, rather than having to fight out of every horrible situation that Rex Grossman puts them in every game. You can't go into a boxing match with handcuffs and a blindfold on, and that is what we are doing when we go into a game with Rex grossman behind center.

Last edited by Mechanix544; 10-17-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote