Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Commanders 2023 Off-Season Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: How would you address the QB1 situation for 2023?
Swing big in a trade for a veteran 2 3.77%
Trade up in the draft for a top prospect 4 7.55%
See who hits free agency 7 13.21%
Sit tight with Howell 35 66.04%
Other 5 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2023, 10:25 PM   #466
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Commanders 2023 Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
https://richmond.com/sports/professi...135422658.html

Makes sense. Why would you pick up the 5th year option on a guy who can't stay healthy? No offense, the pick is looking like a disaster at this point. His best year out of 3 is 7.5 sacks. That's stats not worthy for a #2 pick in the draft. Hell, Detroit's Hutchinson got 9.5 and 3 INTs his rookie year.
I honestly don't think it's a tough decision. They will pick up the option. They would be dumb not to. We're talking about $17.5M for 2024. Yeah that sounds like a lot, but the franchise tag this year is going to be almost $20M for a DE. What do you think it will be in 2025?

No way they risk him balling out after not picking up the 5th year option. Not to mention, Montez Sweat is a UFA after this year. What if they don't get a deal done with him? Then we risk not having either one in 2025? I just don't see it.

He was DROY, then had two shortened seasons due to a bad knee injury. He looked good when he came back, and he has a full off season to get back to form.

Pick up the option.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-08-2023, 10:55 PM   #467
That Guy
Living Legend

You take the option on CY. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Otherwise, you have to spend picks and/or money to replace him, it's not 17.5m vs 0mill, it's 17.5 vs non-zero replacement cost, and having him there makes it easier on the rest of the DL (in a combined total talent kind of way). Obviously, Allen is the guy that really matters.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:16 PM   #468
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
You take the option on CY. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Otherwise, you have to spend picks and/or money to replace him, it's not 17.5m vs 0mill, it's 17.5 vs non-zero replacement cost, and having him there makes it easier on the rest of the DL (in a combined total talent kind of way). Obviously, Allen is the guy that really matters.
One thing I can definitely respect Ron for is that Allen and McLaurin both agreed to extend here. Our leaders on both sides of the ball.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:26 AM   #469
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I honestly don't think it's a tough decision. They will pick up the option. They would be dumb not to. We're talking about $17.5M for 2024. Yeah that sounds like a lot, but the franchise tag this year is going to be almost $20M for a DE. What do you think it will be in 2025?

No way they risk him balling out after not picking up the 5th year option. Not to mention, Montez Sweat is a UFA after this year. What if they don't get a deal done with him? Then we risk not having either one in 2025? I just don't see it.

He was DROY, then had two shortened seasons due to a bad knee injury. He looked good when he came back, and he has a full off season to get back to form.

Pick up the option.
I agree it's an easy decision. Pick up the option.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:47 AM   #470
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
It really would. A shit offensive line, shitty QBs. You would be a moron to come here as an OC.

I think it’s a little premature to call Howell , who once again was projected as a top ten pick after his junior year, a shitty Quarterback NC. The little bit we did see was anything but shitty. We can also revamp the oline if Ron stays out of the decision process there. An OC that comes here would most likely have full control over the offense and even the personnel after what Ron has done to it. Bieniemy doesn’t get full credit because of Reid. If he came here he would, and honestly any OC that comes here wouldn’t have a hard time improving the shitshow we have seen recently. Put up 20 a game and your a super hero.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:48 AM   #471
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Richardson is definitely the wildcard. He is going to be there most likely at 16 and we are gonna have a decision. 85% of me wants to get the best olineman available and roll with Howell. Whatever decision we make will backfire. If we take Richardson, Howell will get pummeled and Richardson will never pan out. If we don’t he will have an amazing career and Howell will not. Yeah these last 30 years have crushed my faith.
The way QBs are overvalued and tend to shoot up the board come draft time really makes me think he's going top 10.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:50 AM   #472
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Fake news! I don't for one second believe that Bienemy would come here as OC. It would be a very poor career choice for him. I shouldn't need to explain why, so I won't.

BTW, does anyone here have any idea why he isn't already a HC in this league?
Reportedly he's a bad interview. Must be more to it than that, off the field stuff? Stuff the league has managed to keep quiet? Who knows. I think his name has become a little overhyped. He doesn't even call the plays in KC.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:24 AM   #473
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Reportedly he's a bad interview. Must be more to it than that, off the field stuff? Stuff the league has managed to keep quiet? Who knows. I think his name has become a little overhyped. He doesn't even call the plays in KC.

He needs to prove himself without Andy Reid or say a Frank Reich or Payton or any other Offensive minded HC. That is why, ironically, a team like ours would be a smart place to land. He would have a chance to completely showcase what he can do. And it wouldn’t take much for people to say he did wonders with that offense.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:32 AM   #474
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
He needs to prove himself without Andy Reid or say a Frank Reich or Payton or any other Offensive minded HC. That is why, ironically, a team like ours would be a smart place to land. He would have a chance to completely showcase what he can do. And it wouldn’t take much for people to say he did wonders with that offense.
I'm with you and MTK on this one.

He doesn't call the plays in KC. He hasn't proven anything really. He hasn't been offered an NFL Head Coaching job because of that (and maybe bad interviews). That offense's success is all Andy. Having learned under him for the last nine years has to count for something though.

He needs to get out of Andy's shadow and prove that he can be successful. Coming here with a defensive Head Coach, a top 10 defense, and all these weapons at his disposal would be a good move in my opinion. However, if I were him, I wouldn't consider it unless RR lays out a meaningful plan for the O-line and QB.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:03 AM   #475
SunnySide
Playmaker

#Chiefs Andy Reid: "People say [Bieniemy] doesn't call the plays...he does. He literally calls the plays in there..."

https://twitter.com/aaronladd0/statu...Ci0nJJ-AYI_MLw

"We have an operation in how we do things and we have a communications system," Bieniemy said, via Herbie Teope of The Kansas City Star. "I mean, coaches communicate with me, I'm communicating to the quarterback. To be honest with you, I think people are making something out of nothing."

"I've always been that way with it (play-calling)," Reid said. "I think it's important that everybody's on the same page and involved with it. So, I don't really care who's calling it or not calling it. I just want to make sure that it gets called and that we've got good plays to call from. That's where I put my energy."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...more-classics/

Idk .. my guess would be Andy does most of the play calling, EB literally calls it into Mahomes but EB is like the sous chef who calls some plays if he feels good on one but probably "confers" w Andy with Andy making final decisions on most.

I think down and distance dictate what part of the playbook you can choose from anyway. So on a 3rd and 10, there might only be 8 plays to choose from, etc

Feel bad for EB that he is getting lame ducked like this
Old 02-09-2023, 11:14 AM   #476
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Perception is reality. He probably calls some plays, but does he formulate the game plan? Is he the one that chooses what 8 plays they may call if it's 3rd and 10, etc. I find it hard to believe that's not 'mostly' Andy.

Either way, he needs to go somewhere else. If he doesn't get the Indy HC job, he should take the OC job in Baltimore or Washington. Baltimore might look more appealing, depending on what happens with Lamar, but I don't see the opportunity in Washington as bad. It could be the exact situation he needs to propel him to the HC position that everyone seems to think he deserves.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:25 AM   #477
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
The way QBs are overvalued and tend to shoot up the board come draft time really makes me think he's going top 10.
AR 15 reminds me of Willis last year; lot of folks had him in the 1st and a high pic then he ended up in the 3rd round. Both are amazing athletes that still need to learn the school of QBing.

Would not be surprised if he is there at #16.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:28 AM   #478
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Perception is reality. He probably calls some plays, but does he formulate the game plan? Is he the one that chooses what 8 plays they may call if it's 3rd and 10, etc. I find it hard to believe that's not 'mostly' Andy.

Either way, he needs to go somewhere else. If he doesn't get the Indy HC job, he should take the OC job in Baltimore or Washington. Baltimore might look more appealing, depending on what happens with Lamar, but I don't see the opportunity in Washington as bad. It could be the exact situation he needs to propel him to the HC position that everyone seems to think he deserves.
Its not such a crazy scenario that if he had a good first year in WSH as OC and RR is let go next season that he wouldn't be first in line for the HC job.

Though honestly if he does a good job at OC we probably got winning football here and RR stays.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:40 AM   #479
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Yeah, I don't see RR going anywhere if someone comes in here and gets this offense going. We may be looking for a new OC again, but that would definitely buy more time for RR - at least to finish out the 5th year of his contract.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:52 AM   #480
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Its also easy to look great with Mahomes as your QB lol