Commanders 2024 Free Agency Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-30-2024, 10:15 AM   #466
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Re: Commanders 2024 Free Agency Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
We're not getting a true #1 CB at this point unless someone on the roster steps up big. We could still get a starting OT, but only because the ones we have aren't very good. OT could merit a trade too (because QB).
We better hope the pass rush gets there quickly with the new def additions (Ferrell, Armstrong, Fowler, etc.) Getting a new off tackle and #1 corner most notable priorities currently.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-30-2024, 01:03 PM   #467
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCommandersfan99 View Post
We better hope the pass rush gets there quickly with the new def additions (Ferrell, Armstrong, Fowler, etc.) Getting a new off tackle and #1 corner most notable priorities currently.
DQ took an abysmal Dallas D and turned them elite. I'm not saying that it will happen overnight, but I trust his coaching abilities to enhance current and new players.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:17 PM   #468
vallin21
The Starter

Someone on another thread brought this up; but adding Gilmore for 1 year would make a ton of sense. CB currently is a much bigger need than OT (IMO)
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:52 PM   #469
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post
Someone on another thread brought this up; but adding Gilmore for 1 year would make a ton of sense. CB currently is a much bigger need than OT (IMO)
I can't agree with that because having a healthy JD on the field is THE most important factor in our future success. I believe that we must find a reliable short-term veteran solution to, at least, our LT need.

I'd love to add Gilmore, as well. Plus, I think we might be underestimating Michael Davis who will also help.

With the depth of pass rushers we now have at numerous positions we should be able to give opposing offenses fits which will be a great help to our secondary.

Hopefully, we'll add more veteran help at LT and CB. If we do, then I'll feel very confident that we can have a winning team in the upcoming season. Yum, the Kool Aid tastes good!
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:55 PM   #470
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I'm not sure how much of an upgrade your going to get with a different left tackle, out of those currently available. It would probably be a wash.

Maybe an upgrade gets cut at some point, and if that happens I hope they jump on it...but that's highly doubtful.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 11:42 PM   #471
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
DQ took an abysmal Dallas D and turned them elite. I'm not saying that it will happen overnight, but I trust his coaching abilities to enhance current and new players.
Agree. However we don't have a Micah Parsons. Him and Trevon Diggs totally changed that defense. Love what Quinn did there and what he will do here. Parsons is one of the top players in the league at any position and a playmaker. Our defense, desperately, needs a playmaker and tone setter like Parsons which we've been lacking for years.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:38 AM   #472
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Donovan Smith and Andrus Peat are still available as UFA. Both of them play LT (Peat since last season). What are your thoughts about adding one of them as a short term answer to our LT situation?
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 12:07 PM   #473
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCommandersfan99 View Post
Agree. However we don't have a Micah Parsons. Him and Trevon Diggs totally changed that defense. Love what Quinn did there and what he will do here. Parsons is one of the top players in the league at any position and a playmaker. Our defense, desperately, needs a playmaker and tone setter like Parsons which we've been lacking for years.

You are 100 percent correct but to take a different approach, Their defense was top heavy. I think we can have a very good/great defense under DQ with an overall better group. Our D line for example. So much hinges on our secondary and whether Forbes and BSJ are able to be coached up. Martin too.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 12:08 PM   #474
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Donovan Smith and Andrus Peat are still available as UFA. Both of them play LT (Peat since last season). What are your thoughts about adding one of them as a short term answer to our LT situation?

Yes. I would take a flyer on just about anyone at this point.
Old 05-04-2024, 12:34 PM   #475
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Honestly, I don't think there's any Left or Right Tackle out there at this point who is going to be an upgrade over what we have - including Becton who was recently picked up by the Eagles.

I would wait until teams start making roster moves and see who comes available in the next couple months. My guess is they already have some ideas regarding potential roster cuts around the league.

It's hard to imagine going into the regular season with just Wylie, Lucas, and Coleman (R) as the top 3 tackles. I guess you have Cosmi if you need him in a pinch, but that just weakens the interior.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 03:09 PM   #476
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I wonder if there's any tackles in the UFL or CFL that they're looking at. I don't know the quality but I enjoy watching the UFL so maybe there's one or two that could make the transition.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 03:20 PM   #477
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I wonder if there's any tackles in the UFL or CFL that they're looking at. I don't know the quality but I enjoy watching the UFL so maybe there's one or two that could make the transition.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

That would be a stretch. Not saying there may not be but Wylie would be the mvp of those leagues. Lol. I think Chief is right. We will probably wait for cuts.

What about Leno? Is there a chance we bring him back for less money?
Old 05-05-2024, 12:09 PM   #478
Hoglips
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
That would be a stretch. Not saying there may not be but Wylie would be the mvp of those leagues. Lol. I think Chief is right. We will probably wait for cuts.

What about Leno? Is there a chance we bring him back for less money?
You and Chief X are both right. We need to do SOMETHING at tackle.
Hoglips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:31 AM   #479
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Look at the amount of Safeties and hands in the ground Dline men we have.

How he chooses to give looks is gonna be awesome. Lotta blitzers available for pressure.

I still think it’s pretty interesting and maybe a tell that we didn’t get a pro typical edge rusher in the draft. Look for Linebacker and box safety to be heavily involved in pass rushing.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 11:20 AM   #480
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Honestly, I don't think there's any Left or Right Tackle out there at this point who is going to be an upgrade over what we have - including Becton who was recently picked up by the Eagles.

I would wait until teams start making roster moves and see who comes available in the next couple months. My guess is they already have some ideas regarding potential roster cuts around the league.

It's hard to imagine going into the regular season with just Wylie, Lucas, and Coleman (R) as the top 3 tackles. I guess you have Cosmi if you need him in a pinch, but that just weakens the interior.
I know a lot of GM and coaches usually say the appropriate things, even if they don't necessarily mean it but per Keim's recent article, Peters said that they are satisfied with the current roster for LT. Based on that, it's going to be a competition between Lucas and Coleman with the expectations of Lucas winning the spot.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote