Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Who do you want to start at QB?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Who Do You Want Starting at QB Opening Day?
John Beck 123 73.65%
Rex Grossman 44 26.35%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #466
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Who do you want to start at QB?

The guy we could have easily signed and who should start will be starting tonight for the Dolphins....**keeps fingers crossed that Moore doesn't make him look like a fool**

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #467
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Outside of a few starts as a rookie in '07 Beck really hasn't had a real opportunity.

At the very least he's more mobile, and I can't see him making those knucklehead throws that Rex is prone to.
I think Beck has had his chances but it seems he just cant win the starting job. Maybe he's a game player not a practice star.

It is amazing some of the stupid throws Rex makes. I still say that's a function of his being too short. At least there's a QB controversy to keep everyone interested.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #468
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Looks like this might split the locker room. Santana Moss, D.Young, and Jabar Gaffney have all publicly stated they think Rex should remain the starter.

Not.Good.
Yeah I don't think it splits the locker room. Once the decision is made, I'm sure the players will support Shanny's decision. Hard to stand up for the way Rex has played. He's terrible and that really isn't up for debate right now.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #469
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I think Beck has had his chances but it seems he just cant win the starting job. Maybe he's a game player not a practice star.

It is amazing some of the stupid throws Rex makes. I still say that's a function of his being too short. At least there's a QB controversy to keep everyone interested.
Well, he makes horrible decisions in the pocket and out of it. There are other guys in the league his height and even shorter that don't throw the dumb INTs he does.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #470
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Just as Rex earned the starting job based on his performance, he had to be pulled based on his performance.

I supported Rex as the starter because he earned it, yet I felt that the competition was close. I think that Rex is a finished product as a QB so his continuing development shouldn't be a factor in any QB decision. I also think that Rex is more suited to be backup rather than starter. So let Rex, the backup, backup Beck. It's no big deal, IMO.

As for Beck, I wonder if he might possibly develop into a better QB than he is right now with some playing time.

I suspect that we may ultimately find out that both of these QB's are NFL backups. But since we don't yet know if John Beck can become starter quality and we can be fairly certain that Rex can't, I say let's find out what Beck can do.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #471
GMScud
Swearinger

At the very least we get to have a look at Beck's upside. He's got the arm, the smarts, and the athleticism. I don't think he's gonna be a star, but Rex is and always has been Rex. His ceiling is a middle of the road NFL starter, and we saw his floor yesterday.

I think you could see it on his face on the sidelines after he got benched- Rex knows that barring injury, his days as a starting QB in the NFL are finished.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #472
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
At the very least we get to have a look at Beck's upside. He's got the arm, the smarts, and the athleticism. I don't think he's gonna be a star, but Rex is and always has been Rex. His ceiling is a middle of the road NFL starter, and we saw his floor yesterday.

I think you could see it on his face on the sidelines after he got benched- Rex knows that barring injury, his days as a starting QB in the NFL are finished.
I'm still not totally convinced on Beck's arm. He threw a few ducks yesterday. But we'll see
Old 10-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #473
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'm still not totally convinced on Beck's arm. He threw a few ducks yesterday. But we'll see
He threw one duck, the other one on the replay slipped out of his hand as he was throwing it. Yeah it was his bad, but not indicative of arm strength. Grip strength maybe?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #474
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Hmm. I'll have to go back and watch. Thought I saw a couple.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #475
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Maybe there were a couple. I only remember two, one of which was the one I was talking about where it was slipping out of his hands.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #476
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Maybe there were a couple. I only remember two, one of which was the one I was talking about where it was slipping out of his hands.
He definitely threw two ducks by my count and couple of low balls.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #477
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
He definitely threw two ducks by my count and couple of low balls.
I hate to say nerves, but believe it was. Lets see a full game with starter reps and proper preperation. Rex has gotten worse as the season has gone on. Beck, not completely sold either, but lets at least give him a proper shot.

He Gets Us
Old 10-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #478
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Well, he makes horrible decisions in the pocket and out of it. There are other guys in the league his height and even shorter that don't throw the dumb INTs he does.
Good points. In the end Beck is stuck with the same inadequate supporting cast as Rex which is why I am not expecting much difference.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #479
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
He threw some ducks but also threw a couple of good deep passes. I just hope he is durable though. He got hurt in the offseason and now he's going to get hit every now and then, so I hope he stays healthy.
R.I.P. #21
Old 10-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #480
44ever

Lets not nit pick a few thrown ducks and give Beck a break for now.

He was put in the game 4th quarter while we were losing to a divisional team. (One that beat us 59-28 last season) If I was the coach I would have either put Beck in at the half or make Rex take the full effect of the loss. Rex still maintains that he can get it done. Personally I think he is borderline delusional.

Beck had a tremendous amount of mental pressure put on him going in as well as the Eagle D. I think under the circumstances he did incredible!

HTTR!
Closed Thread