Coronavirus (non political)

Parking Lot

Old 04-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #451
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Coronavirus (non political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I think it's because restaurants buy in bulk, and they're not buying the same stuff we do at home. For example most people don't eat a lot of fresh produce at home. And restaurants toss out a ton of food too.

And when you eat at home vs in a restaurant are you starting off with soup and salad? How about a desert and maybe an appetizer? I think most people simply consume more when they're out vs making dinner at home.
Add in that Safeway is closing theire Warehouse here in Maryland so that leaves Giant as the main contributor to the WASHINGTON area food bank . They use to get anywhere from a truck to three trucks a week from our warehouse alone. It's not "bad food" it's food the was ordered or delivered wrong and won't be good by the times it is taken back or food that is close in on their "sale by date".

Advertisements
Old 04-17-2020, 01:22 PM   #452
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The part about waste makes sense. Wish that could be channeled to the food banks around the country right now.
I did read an article that I think was based on observance in NYC. It said rats that used to eat out of dumpsters outside of restaurants are now fighting each other over the limited food supply and have even started to cannibalize each other. A stark contrast to before when they had plenty for all of them to eat and never fought over food.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:37 PM   #453
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Add in that Safeway is closing theire Warehouse here in Maryland so that leaves Giant as the main contributor to the WASHINGTON area food bank . They use to get anywhere from a truck to three trucks a week from our warehouse alone. It's not "bad food" it's food the was ordered or delivered wrong and won't be good by the times it is taken back or food that is close in on their "sale by date".
Idk why more restaurants/etc. donate their unused food to food banks. Not that that would be a solution right now but I think the US looks bad compared to the rest of the world in regards to keeping food banks stocked up.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:12 PM   #454
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/17/sant....PostToTwitter

Antibody study suggests Covid-19 could be far more prevalent in the Bay Area than official numbers suggest

Yeah, data from studies/testing like these as well as other spots like Iceland are starting to align.

A lotta folks had it and never knew it

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #455
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Antibody study suggests Covid-19 could be far more prevalent in the Bay Area than official numbers suggest

Yeah, data from studies/testing like these as well as other spots like Iceland are starting to align.

A lotta folks had it and never knew it
Don't know how feasible it would be, but it would be interesting to test a couple thousand random people in bay area or another spot this might apply to and see how many people are antisymatic and see if there is anything that can be learned from those people about treatment/prevention.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #456
MTK
\m/

A little positive news out there

How John Krasinski and 'Some Good News’ won the quarantine internet
Old 04-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #457
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Idk why more restaurants/etc. donate their unused food to food banks. Not that that would be a solution right now but I think the US looks bad compared to the rest of the world in regards to keeping food banks stocked up.
In defense of the restaurants there is alot of restrictions on what can be given away and what has to be destroyed. For one and it's a big one anything with a do not use after this date is a big one. The food it's self might not be bad but by law must be destroyed .
Old 04-17-2020, 09:13 PM   #458
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Seems like up to twenty nine states that have subsided or that of seeing the numbers go down while they will open up sooner than May 1st or at that date. Hot spots of course, will go last!
Old 04-18-2020, 12:49 PM   #459
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

1/3 of random people test positive in Mass (200 hundred person test):

https://www.foxnews.com/science/thir...dy-coronavirus

Some of us here have most likely had or have it now without knowing.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #460
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.fanatics.com/all-in-chal...580-3838082054

So I heard this interview with Bubba Watson on DP show yesterday and he was talking about the All In Challenge he is participating in which helps to raise money fighting the food and hunger issue as it relates to the outbreak and folks who have been out of work. Found the website and gave...it’s pretty cool. I went with the NFL/Goodall raffle. If you was interested, check it out

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #461
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
https://www.fanatics.com/all-in-chal...580-3838082054

So I heard this interview with Bubba Watson on DP show yesterday and he was talking about the All In Challenge he is participating in which helps to raise money fighting the food and hunger issue as it relates to the outbreak and folks who have been out of work. Found the website and gave...it’s pretty cool. I went with the NFL/Goodall raffle. If you was interested, check it out
Eli is doing one don't know if it's the same one........................

https://abc7ny.com/all-in-challenge-...virus/6107460/
Old 04-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #462
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Because of liability issues.
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #463
Back2RFK
Special Teams

I guess the next hoarding item is frozen french fries. I went to the store early yesterday and there was not one bag of frozen french fries. Usually there are 5 to 6 sections of freezer just for FF. So yesterday when our family had their zoom video happy hour I mentioned this. My niece and daughter said they experienced the same thing when they went shopping. I did find two fat Rib Eyes which were really good.
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:58 AM   #464
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

I think it was here where people complained that Lowe's wasn't doing anything to protect the employees. That sure wasn't the case at the Fredricksburgh Va one yesterday. Partions up at the checkout counter, 6 foot spots marked on the floor and most employees wore masks. I had to buy shop maintenance items and office supplies yesterday. I made 3 stops, to me it looked like definitely more than the usual weekday afternoon crowds. Target actually has a board at the store entrance listing common items and whether they are in stock or out of stock. Once again, out of TP and common cleaning supplies, the hoarders are still going great guns.

Last edited by Buffalo Bob; 04-21-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #465
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2RFK View Post
I guess the next hoarding item is frozen french fries. I went to the store early yesterday and there was not one bag of frozen french fries. Usually there are 5 to 6 sections of freezer just for FF. So yesterday when our family had their zoom video happy hour I mentioned this. My niece and daughter said they experienced the same thing when they went shopping. I did find two fat Rib Eyes which were really good.
Seems like any food item that has a shelf life gets hoarded.