Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Sam Howell Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-17-2023, 03:33 PM   #451
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: The Sam Howell Thread

We passed this guy who was on the 4th round.

https://x.com/jordan_reid/status/171...PjVVwlav8ILf0Q

Also would like to see Rodriguez more involved for this particular reasons:

"Rodriguez is a powerful runner," wrote NFL.com's Lance Zierlein. "He has the size and the mentality to do the dirty work between the tackles...He's a physical blitz protector, so teams might envision a role for him as a second-half battering ram and third-down quarterback protector."

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth

Last edited by SFREDSKIN; 10-17-2023 at 04:16 PM.
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2023, 04:07 PM   #452
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Chico nailed it. Our running game, or lack there of, has a ton to do with it. So does our lack of a playmaking TE. Some of the run game is on EB, some is on the oline, some is on the D for us playing from behind and being forced to throw. When you add all that up and throw in the fact that Sam doesn’t throw it away sometimes when he has a chance after the pocket breaks down you get what we got here.
BUT he is 4-3 as a starter, has a fucking cannon, and is accurate, and has wheels. He is also tough as nails. Ill take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Please let’s just hold off on putting him in the HOF or on the streets (LOL) until our new owner has one damn off season to build around him and that includes a competent staff. The dude is a rookie.
#pumpthebrakes
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 04:24 PM   #453
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Chico nailed it. Our running game, or lack there of, has a ton to do with it. So does our lack of a playmaking TE. Some of the run game is on EB, some is on the oline, some is on the D for us playing from behind and being forced to throw. When you add all that up and throw in the fact that Sam doesn’t throw it away sometimes when he has a chance after the pocket breaks down you get what we got here.
BUT he is 4-3 as a starter, has a fucking cannon, and is accurate, and has wheels. He is also tough as nails. Ill take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Please let’s just hold off on putting him in the HOF or on the streets (LOL) until our new owner has one damn off season to build around him and that includes a competent staff. The dude is a rookie.
#pumpthebrakes
He is going to be on the Jiffy Lube Hall of Fame. He can change a car's oil better than he can take a sack.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 12:45 AM   #454
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

https://youtu.be/f9EziztlmaA?si=ukrtYY4FXQy1AP3c

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 10-18-2023, 09:36 AM   #455
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
He is going to be on the Jiffy Lube Hall of Fame. He can change a car's oil better than he can take a sack.
lol
He has all the tools except he can’t read defenses.
We are not seeing any splashes of great plays, Only standard nfl throws.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 10:18 AM   #456
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Question for MRedskin:

What’s your opinion of Brock Purdy?
I will say this about Brock; Sam Howell is a better QB with a higher ceiling then Brock.

Brock has all the external tools that Sam needs to be a superstar.

Folks are bashing me for being a hatter, all I am doing is stating my opinion that at the moment in time when you weigh the good and bad of SH in my mind you have a serviceable QB1 (which is an upgrade from TH).

Now this doesn't mean over time SH couldn't become a great QB1, he certainly has shown flashes but he needs to work on his release time and progression and yes as we have all mentioned a better OL, running game and a stud TE would help those weaknesses but AGAIN the progression/release time has been a issue of Sam through out both his NFL and collegiate career.

AGAIN time will tell, i give him the entire season barring a injury to see what we have.
Old 10-18-2023, 10:32 AM   #457
MTK
\m/

Anyone who is sold right now on Sam being a stud or a dud is crazy. We still need to see a lot more.
Old 10-18-2023, 10:43 AM   #458
oldfan
Camp Scrub

I have read the many complaints against Sam Howell. Many are justified. However, you should take into consideration that he has played in only 7 NFL games as a starter. There has only been one quarterback that I know of that didn't have issues their first year and he was the back-up for almost 5 years. Mahomes is probably the best quarterback now but even he had first year problems. Give Howell a break. He is learning and will make mistakes but in the long run, he will be better than those other has beens that Rivera brought in to "save" the team.
oldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 10:57 AM   #459
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
lol
He has all the tools except he can’t read defenses.
We are not seeing any splashes of great plays, Only standard nfl throws.
Definitely can't agree there, he's made some very high level throws.
Old 10-18-2023, 10:57 AM   #460
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
I have read the many complaints against Sam Howell. Many are justified. However, you should take into consideration that he has played in only 7 NFL games as a starter. There has only been one quarterback that I know of that didn't have issues their first year and he was the back-up for almost 5 years. Mahomes is probably the best quarterback now but even he had first year problems. Give Howell a break. He is learning and will make mistakes but in the long run, he will be better than those other has beens that Rivera brought in to "save" the team.
Bottom line, the kid is a winner. If people can’t see what we have in Howell despite the sacks, then they are blind.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 10-18-2023, 10:58 AM   #461
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Anyone who is sold right now on Sam being a stud or a dud is crazy. We still need to see a lot more.

Agreed. It’s just common sense after 7 games. But based on those 7 games id say he is at least closer to stud than dud. Most passing yards after 7 games in franchise history would point in that direction.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 11:25 AM   #462
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Definitely can't agree there, he's made some very high level throws.
I was trying not to take the bait on that one but he has definitely wowed at times with some of his throws.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:26 PM   #463
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Agreed. It’s just common sense after 7 games. But based on those 7 games id say he is at least closer to stud than dud. Most passing yards after 7 games in franchise history would point in that direction.
He's trending in the right direction for sure. He's shown enough where we should feel good about him finishing out the season as the starter.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:39 PM   #464
skinsfan69
Living Legend

EB stinks. We are six games in and teams that can't rush are getting sacks. He needs to make sure that while his QB is still a work in progress, keep calling plays that gets the ball out of his hands. Do your best to stay out of 3rd and long. Have a better play action game. Call some more screens. Be committed to the run. Protection should be FIRST, not getting 5 wr's out all the time. We're not that offense right now... I just don't think EB is doing enough.

I just think we need to hire Ben Johnson to be honest. When I see a QB like Goff, who was throw out like trash in LA, playing his best ball you have to take notice. Why is he playing so well? He's only been sacked 10 times. Sam 34.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 01:12 PM   #465
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
EB stinks. We are six games in and teams that can't rush are getting sacks. He needs to make sure that while his QB is still a work in progress, keep calling plays that gets the ball out of his hands. Do your best to stay out of 3rd and long. Have a better play action game. Call some more screens. Be committed to the run. Protection should be FIRST, not getting 5 wr's out all the time. We're not that offense right now... I just don't think EB is doing enough.

I just think we need to hire Ben Johnson to be honest. When I see a QB like Goff, who was throw out like trash in LA, playing his best ball you have to take notice. Why is he playing so well? He's only been sacked 10 times. Sam 34.
Playing Rodriguez more would help, he runs hard and gains yards, he’s also excellent at blitz protection

Purveyor of fine Filth