Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Welcome Carson Wentz

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Initial reaction to trading for Carson Wentz?
Love it 8 12.12%
Hate it 17 25.76%
Don't love it, don't hate it 41 62.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2022, 08:09 AM   #451
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Welcome Carson Wentz

Cowherd then asked if you didn’t know the quarterback’s name and I told you what he did last year, “27 touchdowns, 7 interceptions 95 passer rating, 210 passing yards a game, winning record, 6-5, 240, can move and has an arm. I would take that.”

“Is he reckless? Absolutely. No one questions this. He is too reckless, but I would take him.”

“Carson Wentz lost to the Jags, and Jim Irsay (Colts owner) freaked out.” This is a big win for Washington! A major upgrade over Taylor Heinicke, a major upgrade over Ryan Fitzpatrick.”

Advertisements
Old 03-23-2022, 08:26 AM   #452
Schneed10
A Dude

So many people want to make everything black or white. A guy either sucks or is great.

Reality is Wentz is in the 'fine', 'OK', or 'decent' range.

And the point is, 'fine' is a massive upgrade over what we've had at QB. That's how you end up showing up so well on the 'offseason improvement index' thing from PFF.

He will make plus plays that top QBs can make. He'll also make boneheaded ones that the top QBs will avoid more often. It adds up to a lot of improvement for us. We should be in the playoff conversation with Wentz just like the Colts were last year. In a weaker NFC and with a soft schedule like we have, 10 wins is certainly in the conversation.

There's nothing wrong with using 'fine' as a stepping stone to great. I'll take what we can get now, hopefully competent QB play is enough to build momentum for the rebuild. As everyone here has already noted, nothing about the Wentz contract prevents us from trying to find a great one in future seasons.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:29 AM   #453
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
So many people want to make everything black or white. A guy either sucks or is great.

Reality is Wentz is in the 'fine', 'OK', or 'decent' range.

And the point is, 'fine' is a massive upgrade over what we've had at QB. That's how you end up showing up so well on the 'offseason improvement index' thing from PFF.

He will make plus plays that top QBs can make. He'll also make boneheaded ones that the top QBs will avoid more often. It adds up to a lot of improvement for us. We should be in the playoff conversation with Wentz just like the Colts were last year. In a weaker NFC and with a soft schedule like we have, 10 wins is certainly in the conversation.

There's nothing wrong with using 'fine' as a stepping stone to great. I'll take what we can get now, hopefully competent QB play is enough to build momentum for the rebuild. As everyone here has already noted, nothing about the Wentz contract prevents us from trying to find a great one in future seasons.
Agree with this, I'd even say 11-12 wins is possible if the defense steps their shit up this year...
Old 03-23-2022, 09:04 AM   #454
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Agree with this, I'd even say 11-12 wins is possible if the defense steps their shit up this year...
I think the defense will be better this year. The secondary played much better toward ending of the season, and that was without Young and Sweat. The biggest question mark for me is did Young and Sweat realize how important it is for them to stick to their assignments after watching backups playing better than they did.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:18 AM   #455
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I do feel like they should have a back up plan in place if this doesn't work. That 2nd round pick I feel should be a QB. I give this Wentz deal a 50/50 chance of hitting.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:24 AM   #456
MTK
\m/

I wouldn't bother with a QB until the later rounds or an undrafted guy. Too many holes to fill right now to use a high round pick on a 3rd string QB.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:31 AM   #457
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

yeah we are fine at QB, Wentz is better than anyone we would find in the later rounds. Give him 2 full seasons and re-access
Old 03-23-2022, 10:39 AM   #458
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I wouldn't bother with a QB until the later rounds or an undrafted guy. Too many holes to fill right now to use a high round pick on a 3rd string QB.
I think I'm with Matty. In rounds 1 and 2 I think we need pieces in important positions. This year's QB crop is nothing to write home about - I don't think I'd invest one of our 1st or 2nd rounders this year, unless Pickett or Willis fell to round 2 which just won't happen.

I'd consider a QB on day three but even then, not sure I'd force it. I'd look harder at next year's QB crop once I have a year's worth of information about Wentz paired with Scott Turner.

Heinicke is under contract with us this year and makes for, frankly, the ideal backup QB situation. QB can be addressed in 2023 if needed.

Use that 1st and 2nd rounder on a wideout and a MLB, or something like that. Guys that can help us now, help put Wentz in a better position to succeed. We can shoot our shot next year if he isn't the answer.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:49 AM   #459
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Here is the problem w/ that. Let's say Wentz turns his knee again and is out for 8 weeks. You have a guy who plays on the edge and has an injury history. Or he goes back to 2020 Wentz. Then what? You are back to TH again for an extended period of time. Or you can possibly have let's say Sam Howell or Carson Strong.

Remember the 2012 draft? Shanahan nailed it and drafted two guys at QB cause he was not sold on the #1 guy. And the value was too good on Cousins.

I'd rather have possible quality depth at the most important position rather than fill a hole. I can fill holes in the second round of signings in free agency.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:50 AM   #460
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
yeah we are fine at QB, Wentz is better than anyone we would find in the later rounds. Give him 2 full seasons and re-access
True, but he may or may not be better than someone in the earlier rounds.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:54 AM   #461
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think I'm with Matty. In rounds 1 and 2 I think we need pieces in important positions. This year's QB crop is nothing to write home about - I don't think I'd invest one of our 1st or 2nd rounders this year, unless Pickett or Willis fell to round 2 which just won't happen.

I'd consider a QB on day three but even then, not sure I'd force it. I'd look harder at next year's QB crop once I have a year's worth of information about Wentz paired with Scott Turner.

Heinicke is under contract with us this year and makes for, frankly, the ideal backup QB situation. QB can be addressed in 2023 if needed.

Use that 1st and 2nd rounder on a wideout and a MLB, or something like that. Guys that can help us now, help put Wentz in a better position to succeed. We can shoot our shot next year if he isn't the answer.
1st rounder I would agree. That would be off the table. Anything after that is fair game.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:06 AM   #462
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Here is the problem w/ that. Let's say Wentz turns his knee again and is out for 8 weeks. You have a guy who plays on the edge and has an injury history. Or he goes back to 2020 Wentz. Then what? You are back to TH again for an extended period of time. Or you can possibly have let's say Sam Howell or Carson Strong.

Remember the 2012 draft? Shanahan nailed it and drafted two guys at QB cause he was not sold on the #1 guy. And the value was too good on Cousins.

I'd rather have possible quality depth at the most important position rather than fill a hole. I can fill holes in the second round of signings in free agency.
Well, TH is the #2, so if Wentz goes down it's going to be TH as the next man up over a rookie anyway.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:23 AM   #463
skinsfan69
Living Legend

See Rex Grossman.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:43 AM   #464
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post