Around the NFL: Free agent signings 2018

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #436
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Around the NFL: Free agent signings 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
What do we think is Johnathan Hankins's play at this point?

I could see him antsy to get himself signed before the draft because after the draft a few teams might bow out of the Hankins bidding process if they feel like they solved DT in the draft.

On the other hand, he could remain confident that coming out of the draft there will be at least one team who will feel dissatisfied with their DT situation and may be willing to pay more.

I'm not dying over trying to obtain him one way or the other, but he's one of the last quality free agents remaining, really it's him and Dez. Wondering what you guys would do in his shoes. Get with a team now before the draft or wait and hope a team comes crawling to you with a serious post-draft need?
It seems like he and Dez will be waiting until after draft weekend, I think it's a wise decision for both to do so.Like you said Both are the best 2 FA left so the demand for them should increase after this week.

Advertisements
Old 04-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #437
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:

I could see him antsy to get himself signed before the draft because after the draft a few teams might bow out of the Hankins bidding process if they feel like they solved DT in the draft.

On the other hand, he could remain confident that coming out of the draft there will be at least one team who will feel dissatisfied with their DT situation and may be willing to pay more.

I'm not dying over trying to obtain him one way or the other, but he's one of the last quality free agents remaining, really it's him and Dez. Wondering what you guys would do in his shoes. Get with a team now before the draft or wait and hope a team comes crawling to you with a serious post-draft need?
That's a really good question.
I hope our FO is trying to answer it.

I'd tend to think/hope he'd be more antsy than confident, last year he was signed by the Colts on April 13th... it's already April 23rd, and this year really not many teams have invited him to a visit (us, Jets, he had a visit scheduled with the Lions but they signed Sylvester Williams just before... nobody else that I could find something about).

So really it's the Jets and us for now, I wouldn't be very confident if I were him. Now maybe his agent sees something that we don't but...
Old 04-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #438
MTK
\m/

I think teams are locked into draft mode at this point, Hankins and Bryant will have to wait
Old 04-23-2018, 12:36 PM   #439
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I think teams are locked into draft mode at this point, Hankins and Bryant will have to wait
It's a risk, for both team and player. For a team who needs a DT, you hope you can get a good one in the draft, but sometimes they're just not there when your pick comes up.

And for Hankins, he's had visits with the Skins, Jets, and Lions. After the Lions got Sylvester Williams I'm not even sure they're still in the Hankins market.

What if they all get a DT?

If you're Hankins do you call the Skins or Jets up now and say listen I'll take your one year $4M offer, or whatever they had on the table? Or do you wait, knowing it could mean somebody pays you a ton after the draft, or that you might have to take one year for $2M?

Not an easy call. If you're Hankins's agent you can't afford to let teams sit in draft mode if you think you need to make your move now.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #440
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

I think he overplayed his hand. This draft will have several DT's taken that will reduce demand. I was pretty surprised he didn't take whatever offer the Jets made him. I wonder if he is willing to forego camp and see if a team comes up with a need in preseason.

I think he would be extremely lucky to get anything close to 8M per year between post draft and the start of preseason. But I do think if he accepted 5-6M for a one year deal that would get him signed.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #441
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
It's a risk, for both team and player. For a team who needs a DT, you hope you can get a good one in the draft, but sometimes they're just not there when your pick comes up.

And for Hankins, he's had visits with the Skins, Jets, and Lions. After the Lions got Sylvester Williams I'm not even sure they're still in the Hankins market.

What if they all get a DT?

If you're Hankins do you call the Skins or Jets up now and say listen I'll take your one year $4M offer, or whatever they had on the table? Or do you wait, knowing it could mean somebody pays you a ton after the draft, or that you might have to take one year for $2M?

Not an easy call. If you're Hankins's agent you can't afford to let teams sit in draft mode if you think you need to make your move now.
He was asking for 8M/y, we're paying both McClain and McGee 5M/y, so I assume our offer could be close to 5-6M/y.
If that's the case maybe he calls us back before the draft...
Old 04-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #442
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
He was asking for 8M/y, we're paying both McClain and McGee 5M/y, so I assume our offer could be close to 5-6M/y.
If that's the case maybe he calls us back before the draft...
And remember, McClain would be a post june 1 cut if we signed Hankins. We would get some relief.

Ive pretty much let it be known Hankins is a good signing at 1 to 3 year deal. He's a young, proven, run-stuffer entering his prime...Id take him over Vea or Payne at 13 without hesitation.

Is it smart by Hankins team to wait out after the draft? Shrinking options is never better for bargaining...He's taking on more risk for a smaller payday.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #443
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
And remember, McClain would be a post june 1 cut if we signed Hankins. We would get some relief.

Ive pretty much let it be known Hankins is a good signing at 1 to 3 year deal. He's a young, proven, run-stuffer entering his prime...Id take him over Vea or Payne at 13 without hesitation.

Is it smart by Hankins team to wait out after the draft? Shrinking options is never better for bargaining...He's taking on more risk for a smaller payday.
Cooley would agree with you, he likes Vea and Payne but not at 13, Payne would be a great addition against the run but just a contributor against the pass, Vea has a tendency to take a play off.
He would take safeties Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick before them, he loves both DBs and is astonished by James' athleticism, he says he's a Pro Bowler every year:

http://cdn.stationcaster.com/station...1524233573.mp3

http://cdn.stationcaster.com/station...1524492552.mp3

Again, signing Hankins would allow us to go BPA (and trade down without worrying about missing on a critically needed DL...).
Old 04-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #444
Schneed10
A Dude

I tend to agree with you guys. Seems to me his incentive is to get something done before Thursday. He definitely seemed to overplay his hand.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #445
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Cowboys Players in Offseason form again

Dallas Cowboys: David Irving social media activity not good | Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Troubling morning from David Irving's social media account

One of the best defensive players for the Dallas Cowboys had some interesting, and potentially troubling, developments on social media on Monday morning.

So troubling that the Cowboys defensive lineman is being investigated for potential domestic violence, per the Frisco Police Department
Old 04-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #446
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Dez will find work before Monday. Of this I am sure. I am taking a 'bated breath' approach on this move. Dallas has made some tough decisions over the last several years. They moved on from DeMarcus Ware at the top of his career, DeMarco Murray the year he led the league in rushing, Tony Romo and now Dez Bryant. Not once did the circle the drain after any of those moves.

If you compare Dez's output over the last 3 years, to Allen Hurns, they are very comparable. But Dez was being paid way more.

I think Dallas is positioning themselves to go after Calvin Ridley in the first round.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Dez Bryant is expected to wait until after this week's draft to sign with a team.

There's been little known interest in Bryant since his release from the Cowboys nearly two weeks ago. He's yet to make a visit, and there have been no concrete teams absolutely known to be involved in courting the 29-year-old. He's going to find it real tough to come close to the $12.5 million he was scheduled to earn in 2018 on his Dallas deal. We'll continue to wait.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:25 AM   #447
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Dez Bryant is expected to wait until after this week's draft to sign with a team.

There's been little known interest in Bryant since his release from the Cowboys nearly two weeks ago. He's yet to make a visit, and there have been no concrete teams absolutely known to be involved in courting the 29-year-old. He's going to find it real tough to come close to the $12.5 million he was scheduled to earn in 2018 on his Dallas deal. We'll continue to wait.
He posted on IG Video that he is in no rush to sign, and he knows his worth.. Whatever that means
Old 04-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #448
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

it means nobody wants his punk ass...
Old 04-25-2018, 01:39 PM   #449
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico23231 View Post