Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Sam Howell Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-17-2023, 09:07 AM   #436
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: The Sam Howell Thread

Sam has plenty to like but the one thing he really needs to learn is an incomplete pass is much better than a sack. One of these days he will get injured off a sack and then he will learn the best ability is availability.

I like the kid but he's gotta work on those weaknesses. 3rd and 10 is much better than 3rd and 17.

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2023, 09:10 AM   #437
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR View Post
Where do we rank on play calling? Where on TE route running? Where on OL protection? Where on game preparation by the HC?

Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly! I don't know what metric to use to determine he is going be great.

At this point i say he has the opportunity to be a serviceable QB1 in this league. Now for him to get too say the impact starter level he needs to be faster on his reads and not take as many sacks.

We have just been so statured with poor QB play over the last few decades that the first guy to complete a screen pass and we think we have Joe Montana II.

To put in perspective I was way more excited about RGIII going into week 7 of his rookie year then i am of SH going into his week 7 of his "rookie" year.
Old 10-17-2023, 09:17 AM   #438
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
It is his 7th game. Do you think there is a chance that in year two or three he could be top 10 like he is in completion percentage or yards? Or are those ratings by espn meaningless?

Take a look at the roughly 30 different starting quarterbacks we have trotted out there over the last 20 years and see where they ranked in those categories over their first 7 games. You will feel better.
Absolutely he could be or he could be out of the league as well, nothing right now tells me he is going be amazing but i do feel he is serviceable as of right now, my opinion

I hope he becomes a HoF QB and we win some SBs, I am just saying as of RIGHT now i don't see it but i do believe he has the potential to be a serviceable QB1 for years to come.

Why would I go back and look at that? That be equal to saying "hey remember when we were broke now we have $10!" still doesn't cover our bills though but yeah we got $10 better then broke, that is SH at this point $10
Old 10-17-2023, 10:06 AM   #439
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

The Sam Howell Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Absolutely he could be or he could be out of the league as well, nothing right now tells me he is going be amazing but i do feel he is serviceable as of right now, my opinion

I hope he becomes a HoF QB and we win some SBs, I am just saying as of RIGHT now i don't see it but i do believe he has the potential to be a serviceable QB1 for years to come.

Why would I go back and look at that? That be equal to saying "hey remember when we were broke now we have $10!" still doesn't cover our bills though but yeah we got $10 better then broke, that is SH at this point $10

Top 10 in yards and completion percentage, and the all time yardage leader after 7 games of any Washington quarterback ever just doesn’t scream serviceable to me. Nothing is certain M, and yes he could be a HOF’er or a bust. But if we are speculating based on someones first 7 games I am going to lean towards optimism not pessimism based on those things.
Didn’t actually expect you to go look at the list of prior quarterbacks. You don’t have to. You know the quarterback situation here has been nothing short of lackluster since Joey T! Cousins but we fucked that up. Lol. I am just surprised that we took a guy in round 5 who is flashing the way he is and you seem upset with our quarterback situation. Not sure what you need to see other than a guy with arm strength, accuracy, toughness, poise, and mobility after 7 games? He holds the ball too long. Ok. That isn’t a physical trait that cannot be fixed like a noodle arm, or a guy who cannot move.

Sam Howell is the equivalent of a ten dollar bill? Wow.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 10:43 AM   #440
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Top 10 in yards and completion percentage, and the all time yardage leader after 7 games of any Washington quarterback ever just doesn’t scream serviceable to me. Nothing is certain M, and yes he could be a HOF’er or a bust. But if we are speculating based on someones first 7 games I am going to lean towards optimism not pessimism based on those things.
Didn’t actually expect you to go look at the list of prior quarterbacks. You don’t have to. You know the quarterback situation here has been nothing short of lackluster since Joey T! Cousins but we fucked that up. Lol. I am just surprised that we took a guy in round 5 who is flashing the way he is and you seem upset with our quarterback situation. Not sure what you need to see other than a guy with arm strength, accuracy, toughness, poise, and mobility after 7 games? He holds the ball too long. Ok. That isn’t a physical trait that cannot be fixed like a noodle arm, or a guy who cannot move.

Sam Howell is the equivalent of a ten dollar bill? Wow.
Great Read from a non biased source:

https://theathletic.com/4968731/2023...ffensive-line/

When the day is done in order for SH to become better then serviceable he has got solve this sack/progression issue that has plagued him since NC, everyone can call me a fucking dickhead or get their panties in a bunch over him being a $10 bill but until he fixes this issue he is a serviceable not great QB1.

FACTS
Old 10-17-2023, 10:51 AM   #441
HTTR
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Sam has plenty to like but the one thing he really needs to learn is an incomplete pass is much better than a sack.
Sounds pretty simple. Good QBs also learn when to eat it and not throw an int or take a grounding penalty, when to slide or move up in the pocket, and how to extend plays, including taking off and running. I get your point, and he is taking too many sacks. But if he turns into a QB who throws the ball away every time he doesn’t instantly see an open receiver, we’ll be punting on most drives.

Let’s give him some more time to speed up his game and learn how to take control of the offense using a whole range of moves at his disposal.

The sack-injury concern is overblown, I think. You can take just as bad or worse hits standing in the pocket and getting rid of the ball than in being chased down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2023, 11:43 AM   #442
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Something that needs to be addressed in Sam’s criticism is he’s doing this with a terrible running game. He’s getting very little help with the 24th avg rushing per game.

We talk about a bottom half of league Oline, but we aren’t doing good enough on the ground.

Our RB and Oline are to blame…need better results and some accountability there

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 11:48 AM   #443
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Damn, a bunch of panty bunched dickheads up in this thread.

Sam will get hurt at the pace he is on, that's for sure. He does have a good body type for taking a pounding, but that dam will break eventually. Just hope he can manage to get through all 17 this year, and see how much progress he can make. I mean, for starting only 7 games, I would say that's his only definite weakness. I think you can get better at that, but he hasn't shown it yet. But he seems aware of it after the games, which is good. He always takes the blame, which I respect the fuck out of him for doing it.

Give him 11 more starts and a real GM that can fix our line, and I think our offense can look real nice in 2024.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 12:27 PM   #444
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post

LMAO - cmon man - out of the fuckin league? Get it together and look at some of the backups and even starters in this league, next, please send me whatever you are smoking cuz you're high off your ass.

cmon man just stop. Half the shit you are posting on Sam is so premature it belongs in the damn NICU and the other half is just mis-directed frustration.

just let it go. He's the best and most promising qb we have had here in years so far and you're just shitting on him cuz you're used to us sucking. THAT part is fair... otherwise? you're off your rocker expectations on who he his or will be can take a hike.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 12:34 PM   #445
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Question for MRedskin:

What’s your opinion of Brock Purdy?

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 12:36 PM   #446
Meks
Pro Bowl

Side note since RG3 was brought up - he was also 3-3 ... of course he was exciting and we were all hype the guy just had done a 70 yd dash for a td against the vikings this time last year --- next week tho --- we dropped to 3-4 to guess who... the vagiants. Please dont let history repeat this coming week!

RG3 also had mike and kyle, a fantastic running scheme and some real threats at WR/TE imo ... he struggled with that offense and reading the NFL defenses, no secret.

You put this Qb, sam, on that team and the guy would prolly knock your socks off, too.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 01:07 PM   #447
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Over the last 3 weeks Howell has 6 TDs 1 INT

Hes played well, the sacks are bad though. He's got to get rid of the ball
Old 10-17-2023, 01:52 PM   #448
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 02:27 PM   #449
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

None of you guys has hit the nail on the head about the problems of Sam Howell. You've danced around some of them but we have major problems on offense that have nothing to do with Sam that most of you are missing. Namely, you tend to primarily blame the guy who is taking all the hits rather than then the poor personnel executives and coaches that are setting him up for serious injury without doing a thing about it.

After 6 games Sam has taken 84 sacks (far more than any other QB in the league) and who knows how many hits. Instead of looking at how long Sam holds the ball as if that is the major issue that is causing him pain, look at how many times the rush was on him in an instant when he didn't have a snowball's chance of doing anything other than taking a sack.

Friends, this is a health emergency for our young QB. At this rate, he's bound to be seriously hurt. It must be mitigated immediately in whatever way possible. We know Oblivious Ron won't do anything about it. Left to his own methods, Ron will just slump along to his usual 8-9 or so season and actually be shocked when he gets fired.

Our only hope is for EB to recognize the emergency and demand the authority to do whatever is necessary to fix the problem, including adding more pass protection and making needed personnel changes. John Bates is an excellent pass blocker. Use him to help out in-line or as an H-back to pick up blitzers.

EB also needs to fix the running game and use it more often to take some heat off of Sam. According to PFF grades, nobody on the OL can run block worth a damn. I can't make myself believe that. Tweak the damn scheme, EB. Trick somebody now and ten. Play your best run blockers because you have two starting lineman who can neither pass block nor run block, so you have nothing to lose in pass pro and the potential to run the ball will be better if you bench them.

Fix it now!

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 10-17-2023 at 11:19 PM.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 03:31 PM   #450
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
None of you guys has hit the nail on the head about the problems of Sam Howell. You've danced around some of them but we have major problems on offense that have nothing to do with Sam that most of you are missing. Namely, you tend to primarily blame the guy who is taking all the hits rather than then the fucked up personnel executives and coaches that are setting him up for serious injury without doing a thing about it.

After 6 games Sam has taken 84 sacks (far more than any other QB in the league) and who knows how many hits. Instead of looking at how long Sam holds the ball as if that is the major issue that is causing him pain, look at how many times the rush was on him in an instant when he didn't have a snowball's chance of doing anything other than taking a sack.

Friends, this is a health emergency for our young QB. At this rate, he's bound to be seriously hurt. It must be mitigated immediately in whatever way possible. We know Oblivious Ron won't do anything about it. Left to his own methods, Ron will just slump along to his usual 8-9 or so season and actually be shocked when he gets fired.

Our only hope is for EB to recognize the emergency and demand the authority to do whatever is necessary to fix the problem, including adding more pass protection and making needed personnel changes. John Bates is an excellent pass blocker. Use him to help out in-line or as an H-back to pick up blitzers.

EB also needs to fix the running game and use it more often to take some heat off of Sam. According to PFF grades, nobody on the OL can run block worth a damn. I can't make myself believe that. Tweak the damn scheme, EB. Trick somebody now and ten. Play your best run blockers because you have two starting lineman who can neither pass block nor run block, so you have nothing to lose in pass pro and the potential to run the ball will be better if you bench them.

Fix it now!
EB has full authority over the offense. The running game was working early on in the season, and they've gone away from it. At this point the solution to this issue is for EB to have a better scheme that doesn't require passing 40-50 times a game.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote