19: R1 P19 OT Christian Darrisaw - Virginia Tech
51: R2 P19 QB Mac Jones - Alabama
74: R3 P10 WR Amon-Ra St. Brown - USC
82: R3 P18 S Paris Ford - Pittsburgh
124: R4 P19 CB Robert Rochell - Central Arkansas
164: R5 P19 LB Charles Snowden - UVA
243: R7 P17 TE Quintin Morris - Bowling Green
245: R7 P19 G Brenden Jaimes - Nebraska
I do like this pick at #19, assuming they address the QB position and add a #2 WR prior to the draft.

LT - Christian Darrisaw
LG - Saahdiq Charles
C - Chase Roullier
RG - Brandon Scherff
RT - Morgan Moses
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #2
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Re: The Too Soon 2021 NFL Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Imagine this WR group:

Terry McLaurin
Corey Davis
Kadarius Toney
Cam Sims
replace Sims with Harmon and weSims'll see . . . Corey Davis is OK, but not great. He certainly never lived up to his draft hype. Sims is as inconsistent as they come and is SLOW. He would be better off adding 15 - 20 pounds and moving to TE.
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #3
AnonEmouse
The Starter

If we draft WR would you go for a speed or size? Can't help thinking that Gandy-Golden and Cam Sims offer the size option (and I like what Sims showed later last season), so we should go for another blazer opposite McLaurin. We really need to be able to stretch the field more consistently to help the run game if nothing else.

I'd agree with waiting until rd2+ to pick a WR unless the guy is BPA when we pick at #19. We don't have a big sample set but we haven't had success with 1st round WR's since Art Monk!
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:43 PM   #4
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
If we draft WR would you go for a speed or size? Can't help thinking that Gandy-Golden and Cam Sims offer the size option (and I like what Sims showed later last season), so we should go for another blazer opposite McLaurin. We really need to be able to stretch the field more consistently to help the run game if nothing else.

I'd agree with waiting until rd2+ to pick a WR unless the guy is BPA when we pick at #19. We don't have a big sample set but we haven't had success with 1st round WR's since Art Monk!
Chase, Waddle or Smith would be excellent at 19. Not quite as high on Toney, but wouldn't be mad at that either.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:12 PM   #5
Scalper

Quote:

You go for the guy that can run routes and catch and loves the game and will work to get better. WRs usually take a bit for the lights to come on.

Two blazers with no size, I'm not sure. I think you need a true #1WR, speed AND size. Problem with our big guys is they are slow or don't consistently run good routes and make catches. Speed is also a relative term, lot of big guys are long striders but not quick, can't get open on short routes consistently especially against tall press corners.

LT and WR we have guys that could in theory become quality starters, but do you stand pat and gamble on potential? Probably not.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:13 AM   #6
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

19. Washington Football Team: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame
There’s a quarterback on the board in Alabama’s Mac Jones, and that’s Washington’s top need, but adding a veteran to the current mix is the more likely outcome. There’s a solid case here for a receiver (Florida’s Kadarius Toney) or left tackle (Darrisaw), and no doubt an offense that ranked 25th in scoring last season needs more oomph. However, the linebacking unit is the clear weak link defensively and a group coach Ron Rivera called out at times during the season. Owusu-Koramoah finished with 11 tackles for loss and three forced fumbles last season. The 6-foot-1, 215-pounder brings needed speed and versatility to a defense lacking that element behind a loaded line. — Ben Standig
Old 02-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
There’s a quarterback on the board in Alabama’s Mac Jones, and that’s Washington’s top need, but adding a veteran to the current mix is the more likely outcome. There’s a solid case here for a receiver (Florida’s Kadarius Toney) or left tackle (Darrisaw), and no doubt an offense that ranked 25th in scoring last season needs more oomph. However, the linebacking unit is the clear weak link defensively and a group coach Ron Rivera called out at times during the season. Owusu-Koramoah finished with 11 tackles for loss and three forced fumbles last season. The 6-foot-1, 215-pounder brings needed speed and versatility to a defense lacking that element behind a loaded line. — Ben Standig
Lost in the shuffle of our needs at QB and WR is definitely LB. Definitely need upgrades there.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #8
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Quote:
Would really like a LB, I think WR can be found in FA and later rounds in the draft.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:41 PM   #9
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
Would really like a LB, I think WR can be found in FA and later rounds in the draft.
I agree, LB is harder to find than WR.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:35 PM   #10
Scalper

Quote:
I agree, LB is harder to find than WR.
If you are talking what is economical, MLBs can be had cheap in FA, while outside that can pass cover, even if not edge rushers, cost a bit more. This FA loaded with WRs, but you pay through teeth for them.

It is interesting to ask what FA does. We swung for fences for huge name WR last year FA, but most other signings were judicious and budget friendly. You could make a credible argument that the case history shows we'll sign a big name stud WR, and also that with so many WRs we might find a second tier FA that is still very good and try and get him for 30% or 40% of price of one of the huge names.

I don't love Darrishaw at OT. He seems more a plodding run blocker than a super athletic pass rusher. I think you aim for latter, as with Williams. You can teach a pass blocker to run block, but vice versa can be much more challenging. The question becomes does staff think S. Charles is still a truly viable franchise LT? If I'm not going QB with 1st round pick, I'm still looking to plug one of the other high-leverage positions, LT,WR,CB. I would not be surprised to see us go corner though. I think FS is also an immense long-term need. If there is a FS with true CB skills and 4.4 speed, sitting at #19, that fills an IMMENSE long term need, and you can resign FSs for less than WR or CBs cost.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #11
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
What? Hold on a minute. You'd better stretch him out on a rack and dump a load of bricks in his football pants if you want him to play LB.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:37 AM   #12
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Yeah I agree, i think LB at 19 is a very realistic option
Old 02-23-2021, 12:00 PM   #13
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Agreed, but can we please draft 2 pass coverage LB's and/or add via FA? We were weak in against the run at times last year, but always woeful in pass D from the LB's. Guys who can cover TE's please!
Old 02-23-2021, 12:07 PM   #14
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Agreed, but can we please draft 2 pass coverage LB's and/or add via FA? We were weak in against the run at times last year, but always woeful in pass D from the LB's. Guys who can cover TE's please!
I'm hoping for an LT or WR at 19, and Jabril Cox in the 2nd.

Bring back Darby, and sign Denzel Perryman in free agency, and this defense is L E G I T.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #15
AnonEmouse
The Starter

What about one of the Ravens OLB's in FA? Sounding like they can't/won't re-sign either or tag one of them. Would Ngakoue or Judon fit here?