Redskins vs. Falcons Post-Game Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #31
bigm29
Special Teams

Re: Redskins vs. Falcons Post-Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I believe his contract goes up significantly after this next season, making him considerably less attractive to trade. I would trade him this off-season, especially if there's a new HC. And then just draft another young QB
Anybody that trades for him is going to sign him to a new contract anyway because they are going to want him as a starter. But I hope we keep Cousins either way, unless we can get a ridiculous trade for him. Griffin is just too much of a question mark at this point with the way he played this season. I'm fine with going into next season with him as the starter, but if he doesn't show that he can get back to form in the first 4 or 5 games of 2014, I'm going to want Cousins out there.

With the amount of QB problems the Redskins have had over the last 20 years, I don't want to give up a potential franchise QB in Cousins if Griffin doesn't live up to the potential that we all know he has.

Advertisements
Old 12-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #32
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigm29 View Post
Anybody that trades for him is going to sign him to a new contract anyway because they are going to want him as a starter. But I hope we keep Cousins either way, unless we can get a ridiculous trade for him. Griffin is just too much of a question mark at this point with the way he played this season. I'm fine with going into next season with him as the starter, but if he doesn't show that he can get back to form in the first 4 or 5 games of 2014, I'm going to want Cousins out there.

With the amount of QB problems the Redskins have had over the last 20 years, I don't want to give up a potential franchise QB in Cousins if Griffin doesn't live up to the potential that we all know he has.
I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be eligible for a new contract for another two years. Plus, why pay franchise money when you don't have to just yet?
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #33
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Why are people saying getting a 2nd rounder? I would ask for a 1st, someone will fork it out. Gabbert, Locker, Manuel were drafted in the 1st round, you guys think a team doesn't want an experienced QB rather than spend a 1st round pick on someone green out of college? If I was a team like Houston, Minnesota, Jacksonville or Arizona I would gladly give a 1st rounder for someone like Cousins.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #34
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Why are people saying getting a 2nd rounder? I would ask for a 1st, someone will fork it out. Gabbert, Locker, Manuel were drafted in the 1st round, you guys think a team doesn't want an experienced QB rather than spend a 1st round pick on someone green out of college? If I was a team like Houston, Minnesota, Jacksonville or Arizona I would gladly give a 1st rounder for someone like Cousins.
He's probably not worth a 1st, I mean today he played good but bad also, his ints and fumble were ugly . Let's see what he can do the next two weeks first but I'd still say a 2 is worth it for cousins if I'm a team like jax
Old 12-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #35
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I say keep Cousins. Let them battle it out in the offseason/preseason and the best man wins the starting QB position. Yeah they gave up a lot for RGIII, but that is history. You can't take that back, but you can't let that dictate your future either. His injury changes everything, and there is at least a possibility he will never be the same player you thought you were getting. Bottom line is you field the best player, the player that gives you the best chance to win. If that happens to be Cousins come early September 2014, then hand the clip board to RGIII.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #36
TheGuyFromOverThere
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief x_phackter View Post
i say keep cousins. Let them battle it out in the offseason/preseason and the best man wins the starting qb position. Yeah they gave up a lot for rgiii, but that is history. You can't take that back, but you can't let that dictate your future either. His injury changes everything, and there is at least a possibility he will never be the same player you thought you were getting. Bottom line is you field the best player, the player that gives you the best chance to win. If that happens to be cousins come early september 2014, then hand the clip board to rgiii.
+1!
TheGuyFromOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #37
Jayroc24
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
What a game. Completely different offense when Cousins is in there. The play calling was aggressive, too aggressive as I thought Kyle sort of needed to dial it back on the one yard line on that Int. But for a guy that is making his 2nd start and hadn't played in a year, Cousins is just very impressive. That first half was ridiculous. I don't think Cousins is going anywhere. Call me crazy but he's going to push RG3.

Also Rak is playing himself into a new contract. He's been everywhere the last two weeks. Morris? C'mon man! Hold on to the damn ball!

Also MS...kick the XP, play the percentages. I didn't like going for it but I guess he really doesn't give a damn.
I was at the game, I thought Cousins played very well for his second start. He did miss some open receivers, but thing that really stood out to me on several occasions was that when the receivers was starting their breaks on the route the ball was flying out of Cousins hand vs. RG3 (who I still think is the future of this franchise) stares down the receiver waits for them to be all alone and try to throw the ball.
He is telegraphing the hell out of his throws.
Who knows, maybe having Robert watch a few games will help him.....
Jayroc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #38
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayroc24 View Post
I was at the game, I thought Cousins played very well for his second start. He did miss some open receivers, but thing that really stood out to me on several occasions was that when the receivers was starting their breaks on the route the ball was flying out of Cousins hand vs. RG3 (who I still think is the future of this franchise) stares down the receiver waits for them to be all alone and try to throw the ball.
He is telegraphing the hell out of his throws.
Who knows, maybe having Robert watch a few games will help him.....
Chris Russell said on the Monday Morning QB show on ESPN 980 that when it comes to the Skins QBs the coaches say that Rex can't see it but lets er rip anyway. KC can see it and rip it pronto. RG can see it but hesitates to let er rip. Hopefully RG learns to not hesitate in the off-season.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #39
Southpaw
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Chris Russell said on the Monday Morning QB show on ESPN 980 that when it comes to the Skins QBs the coaches say that Rex can't see it but lets er rip anyway. KC can see it and rip it pronto. RG can see it but hesitates to let er rip. Hopefully RG learns to not hesitate in the off-season.
Personally, I see a lot of Rex in Cousins. He does operate the offense efficiently, but he has turned the ball over at an alarmingly high rate. The fact that people seem to be overlooking that, simply because he racked up a lot of yards is a symptom of confirmation bias. He's got nine total turnovers(8 INTs, 1 Fumble) in 12 quarters of football.

Until he tightens up that part of his game, I will be refering to him as Rex, Jr.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #40
firstdown
Living Legend

Did anyone catch that the announcer said he talked to Rak and he was excited to test free agency. I've also noticed that Rak has been playing harder the past couple of weeks. Before that it was like he was not even on the field for a few games. I would not be surprised if he is not gone after this year.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #41
MTK
\m/

KC needs to be a little more careful when letting it rip. He's a bit too aggressive sometimes where RG is too careful at times.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #42
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
KC needs to be a little more careful when letting it rip. He's a bit too aggressive sometimes where RG is too careful at times.
Russell said the coaches think as much. There are pros & cons to KC's play. It leads to some turnover issues (con) but also leads to big plays and lots of yards (pro).

The problem with RG being overly cautious this year is that he's getting all the turnover problems with none of the big-play upside.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #43
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Personally, I see a lot of Rex in Cousins. He does operate the offense efficiently, but he has turned the ball over at an alarmingly high rate. The fact that people seem to be overlooking that, simply because he racked up a lot of yards is a symptom of confirmation bias. He's got nine total turnovers(8 INTs, 1 Fumble) in 12 quarters of football.

Until he tightens up that part of his game, I will be refering to him as Rex, Jr.
Lotus made the exact same observation on this site sometime last year. Apparently, it is an attribute he displayed in college too.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #44
MTK
\m/

Yeah and a big reason we lost is due to all the turnovers. That simply can't be overlooked no matter how many yards he throws for.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #45
SBXVII
Franchise Player

So, I missed the game this weekend. Drove to SC and back on Sunday. Heard a little right at the NC/VA border on the radio but only the score at which point it was 17-14 Atlanta, then right before I lost the station I heard the score was 20-17 Skins. I picked back up right after Morris's fumble to the end of the game.

I'd heard the announcers say something about Kyle Shanahan and the new gossip about him talking about leaving and how he's a prima dona around the office. etc. etc.

Heard how MS is likely to remain cause his contract is solid and thats from a lawyer. Otherwise Snyder pony's up 13 mill. < I personally doubt that happens. I think he stays.

So my prediction: MS is our HC next year, KS quits after the season to help facilitate...Kubiak being brought in to help his dad plus they think alike offensively. Haslett I'm unsure of but I hope he's fired and perhaps Lovie is offered the job with the intention he takes over after next year when DS does fire MS.

No to further my prediction: RG3 I think was either DS idea or KS's. RG3 is not MS's QB. So I can see this off season both RG3 and KS working hard and studying film. However I'm betting KS surpasses RG3 and probably gets the nod by MS to start. Remember this is MS's last year and if he's going to get fired might as well piss off the owner by not playing RG3 and play the guy who seems to have better pocket presence and gets through his progressions.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote