Worst Mistake of the Shanahan Era

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #31
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: Worst Mistake of the Shanahan Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
I agree with all of this and will pass judgement on #7 in a couple of years.

Last year he was worth every penny, and I believe we will see it again next year. I am really disappointed in the staff's inability to train him properly even as the season has gone on. I get he rehabbed last offseason but why is he still making some of the same dumb mistakes.
Just want to clarify something. On #7, I put that down, not because I don't like RGIII or think he's a bust, but because that team lacked so much talent back then. I look at the talent on this OL and WR and see talent we missed out on because of missing draft picks. In fact, I'll remove that because it really isn't a "fuck up" per say.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #32
HailGreen28
Playmaker

I've said we had a "top 10" defense before Shanny and Haslett. Looked it up on nfl.com (example link):

2013(so far): #28 yds/g, #31 pts/g.
2012: #28 yds/g, #22 pts/g.
2011: #13 yds/g, #21 pts/g.
2010: #31 yds/g, #21 pts/g.
------------------------------
2009: #23 yds/g, #18 pts/g.
2008: #4 yds/g, #6 pts/g.
2007: #8 yds/g, #11 pts/g.
2006: #31 yds/g, #27 pts/g.
2005: #9 yds/g, #9 pts/g.

It's a bit rosy colored to suggest we had a sure top 10 D the past few years, but changing our D is still the worst mistake Shanny's made. How much of this blame is the switch to the 3-4, and how much is Haslett, I dunno.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #33
skinsfan69
Living Legend

It has to be this trade. Two number one's and a second rounder? Now the number one pick is going to be a top 3 pick. Plus the player that we traded for may not be a good fit for the NFL game. This had disaster written all over it when they made the deal. However, I would like to know if Shanahan was 100% on board with the RG3 trade.

The 3-4 also has been a mess and that's 100% on Shanahan.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #34
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Going into the second season with Grossman on top of the depth chart and Ryan Torain at RB was pretty much the death knell on the Shanahan era.
This is what I can't get with in terms of logic. Exactly who else was he supposed to get? Don't forget, his first year in the uncapped year, there was a lock down on Free Agents so he was limited, and year 2 was the lock out.

So who exactly should have have gotten?
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 11-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #35
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
I agree with all of this and will pass judgement on #7 in a couple of years.

Last year he was worth every penny, and I believe we will see it again next year. I am really disappointed in the staff's inability to train him properly even as the season has gone on. I get he rehabbed last offseason but why is he still making some of the same dumb mistakes.
Here's a pop quiz for you: Name the Redskins QB Coach. You don't know? I didn't think you could do it.

Add this to the list of Shanahan failures: The failure to hire quality assisstant coaches to "coach up" the players.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #36
HailGreen28
Playmaker

I wonder how many more people would think the RGIII trade was bad when they realize we gave up 3 first rounders and a second rounder to draft him.

I also wonder how many of the same people loved the trade last season.

Full disclosure: I hated the trade when it happened, and thought getting Matt Flynn and keeping our picks was a better option. And changed my mind and loved the trade last season. So what do I know?
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #37
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Gimme a break! Everyone and I mean everyone was onboard with the move to get RG3.

I wouldn't say that. There were some that were neither for nor against the move all together. I loved RGIII as a prospect, but I was very cautious about giving that much up for a team that needed so much. I'll still say that even if he turns out to be a HoFer. Also, you can look at my post history and verify this as well. It's not that I didn't think RGIII wasn't worth what we gave up, but that we weren't in the shape to give up that much. Once the trade is done though, there is no sense of worrying about what was given up though. It's a gamble, one that could pay off or set us back. That is still to be determined.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #38
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
The McNabb move was pretty inexcusable. Going into the second season with Grossman on top of the depth chart and Ryan Torain at RB was pretty much the death knell on the Shanahan era.

Mike was a dead man walking prior to the cap penalty. The RG3 trade was a blatant attempt to liquidate future assets to put a winning product on the field immediately, because after two full seasons there was zero foundation.
Blantant attempt to finally get a franchise QB. Right, thats the cost unfortunately.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #39
MTK
\m/

I've never seen the 3-4 as the problem, just the players and coach running it.

The legendary top 10 4-3 we had was old and lacked playmakers and needed an overhaul anyway.

As far as the trade that everyone is knocking now don't forget that the cap penalty came afterwards. Gotta think that trade doesn't happen if they knew the cap hit was coming.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #40
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Blantant attempt to finally get a franchise QB. Right, thats the cost unfortunately.
It wasn't the cost for any other franchise in history. Just this one.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #41
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

I was not happy with the hiring of haslett and the switch to the 3-4,hiring a coach who coached a 4-3 defense but had "familiarity"with 3-4 from his days coaching in pittsburgh 97-99.

And to agree with Smootsmack,the way he handled Haynesworth I thought was handled very poorly,and now with davis.

The Mcnabb trade I was excited about,I thought he had something left in the tank.I'm still not sure whos fault that was that mcnabb didnt play well here.I dont think they played to Mcnabbs strengths but Mcnabb didnt do his part either,so I'll give Shan a pass on this one.

I guess there might have been a few people on here at the time that thought we were giving up too much to get RG3 but I was excited as hell about it as most of us were.I dont think that was a mistake .

To by far the biggest mistake was the way he handled Griff in the seattle game.I dont care if Griff wanted to stay in or not,you just gave up the farm to get him yet you put his whole career in danger by leaving him in there.A BLIND MAN COULD HAVE SEEN IT WAS TIME TO PULL GRIFFIN.
To me thats unforgivable,it ended our season horribly and it screwed up this season.
If griffin was healthy this yr,we probably arent leading the division,but we are def not 3-8 and a laughingstock
If griff doesnt tear up his knee were not talking about whether it was a mistake to give up so much for him
Old 11-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #42
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
This is what I can't get with in terms of logic. Exactly who else was he supposed to get? Don't forget, his first year in the uncapped year, there was a lock down on Free Agents so he was limited, and year 2 was the lock out.

So who exactly should have have gotten?
If you honestly think that he was that devoid of options, which isn't reality, he should have kept McNabb. Just releasing McNabb and making no other QB moves is not a solution. Matt Hasselbeck was available, just to name an unexciting veteran.

The 2011 draft was one of the better drafts for QBs. The 2010 draft was not, but there were non-first rounders who could have helped this teams situation, although that would have meant no roster spot for John Beck, so you can see the solution there.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #43
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
To be honest, how much value did any of these guys have to begin with? Fred was a free agent this off-season and garnered really little to no interest. Should he have just played Fred even though Reed outplayed him, just so he could get his value up?

In regards to Haynesworthless, how much value could we really garner from him? Exactly what was he supposed to do with him? We heard what Cooley had to say about this clown. We saw him giving up on plays and laying down during the Philly MNF massacre.
Well specifically on Haynesworth there was an opportunity as late as draft day 2011 to get a 2nd round pick for him. Not straight up, but it would have involved a later round swapping of picks.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #44
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
If you honestly think that he was that devoid of options, which isn't reality, he should have kept McNabb. Just releasing McNabb and making no other QB moves is not a solution. Matt Hasselbeck was available, just to name an unexciting veteran.
Ok, and tell me what he ended up signing for with the Titans and then tell me would you have signed him. Still you haven't given any options other than...."it was bad". Let's hear some options, and look at the salary ramifications on those people you would have signed. Come on GT, put some effort into it.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #45
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
It wasn't the cost for any other franchise in history. Just this one.
The problem is that you have to take risks. The teams that don't have a franchise QB are often mired in mediocrity in a revolving door of QBs and high to mid round first draft picks. The day of the trade I was anxious and apprehensive, what I saw last year gave me hope toward a bright future and I can't say for certainty our future is any worse or better for the trade but I am willing to take risks. For me the biggest mistake is the McNabb trade that essentially cost us a year of rebuilding.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote