Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Secondary is a Primary

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #31
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: Secondary is a Primary

Regarding the scouting reports, I have some observations and opinions on some of these players, as well. I'm just an average guy who loves NFL football and who has closely watched players for over 50 years, so I do have a point of reference. I'd like to share some of my quick and dirty observations on these players.

CB's

First of all, I agree with the author that Milliner, Rhodes, and Trufant should go before we pick. However, I'm surprised that he didn't list Johnthan Banks as one of the top corners in the draft. I would rate him second behind only Milliner who, IMO, is clearly the best CB in the draft.

The rest of the corners that I would rate as Tier 1 are Poyer, Ryan, Alford, and (surprise!) Adrian Bushell. Any of those players could either fall to us or be drafted before we pick at #51 (except for Bushell).

IMO, Alford covers as well as any CB in this draft. Half the time, it almost looks like he's the WR.

Poyer is one of my favorites because he is a playmaker who is an exciting PR. We'll have to see how he runs at the Combine.

I see Bushell as a potential bargain in the draft. He might go as low as the 4th or 5th Rnd but he is fast, he covers well, tackles well, and is a great ST player as a KR/PR.

Now for my Tier 2 CB's:

I sincerely hope that Jamar Taylor is taken by somebody in the 1st or early 2nd Round because I think he's an average prospect and that will leave one more good CB for us. Taylor is a willing tackler, though.

To me, Leon Mcfadden has everything you would want in a CB. He's very talented but, I think, a bit raw. He's a converted WR, so that's to be expected. he'd be a very nice pick in the 4th Rnd.

Terry Hawthorne is no NFL CB at all, IMO. However, I think he could be a very good NFL safety, in time. He's strong, fast, and a great tackler. He'd be a very nice 6th Rnd pick as a safety, IMO.

Safeties

On to the safeties. Man, there are a lot of good safety prospects, IMO.

Kenny Vaccaro is #1 and it ain't even close. Here's my initial note on him: "Heat-seeking missle!" He could be a great one.

I'm not nearly as positive about Eric Reid. He is a punishing tackler with good range but can he cover and is he fast enough? I say let's hope that another team takes him before we draft and let them find out.

I don't share the writer's concerns about Matt Elam. He is a great tackler with good range.

Cyprien has good size, great range, and he competes well. But he seems to me to play a bit out of control. He may not go as high as they think.

I think Baccari Rambo would be a good pick for us in Rnd 3. He is a silky smooth athlete with size, very good ball skills, and he's a good tackler. Who wouldn't want a player named Rambo as their FS?

I don't understand the concerns about Tony Jefferson. I think he is dynamic player who does it all. I've had my eye on him for years.

Ah yes, Phillip Thomas! According to the article Thomas is "an aggressive kid" who is "good at everything, but not elite at anything". I strongly disagree with those observations. Thomas has spectacular ball skills, he's a big hitter, and he's an outstanding blitzer. I would be thrilled if the Skins were to draft him in the 3rd Rnd.

As the man said, T.J. McDonald is not a willing tackler. I would not draft him.

I also agree with the author on David Amerson. He could either struggle as a CB or excel as a safety. I like him a lot at FS. He's very big and he's a great athlete with good hands.

I like Shawn Williams. Maybe I shouldn't like him so much but he really knows how to play the game and he'll knock your damn head off. He will be feared in the NFL.

Duke Williams is a hitter who can cover. He has good size and speed. It bothers me that he often takes bad angles. Would I take him as a 5th or 6th round pick? Sure.

I really like DJ Swearinger. He is a very tough player who can do it all. Lack of speed might be an issue with him.

To me, JJ Wilcox has all the skills you want as well as good size but he looks like someone who will need to be developed as a player. Could be a 6th Rnd pick.

I don't know enough about Micah Hyde and Cooper Taylor to comment on them.

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 02-17-2013 at 08:06 AM.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #32
RGIII

This team is ready for more talented youth. They'll buy into the recent success they're having.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 AM   #33
30gut
Playmaker

restructure Hall
cut: Brandon Meriweather
draft a FS projected to be a starter as rookie
sign a middle tier FA FS Corey Lynch, Glover Quin
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #34
30gut
Playmaker

Don't believe everything you read from the draftnik 'experts' often what they say doesn't match with you see
Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #35
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

There's a ball hawking safety named Chris Banjo from SMU...I wouldn't doubt that Bruce and Mike have an eye on this kid since we've drafted players from SMU the past couple of years.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #36
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
restructure Hall
cut: Brandon Meriweather
draft a FS projected to be a starter as rookie
sign a middle tier FA FS Corey Lynch, Glover Quin
What do you think the chances are that the Skins draft three DB's in this class? Perhaps a CB and two safeties, one high and one late? It's such a good class for DB's (safeties in particular) IMO, I wonder if this might be the time for them to fix the secondary.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #37
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
What do you think the chances are that the Skins draft three DB's in this class? Perhaps a CB and two safeties, one high and one late? It's such a good class for DB's (safeties in particular) IMO, I wonder if this might be the time for them to fix the secondary.
I would not be surprised at all to see us take 3 DB's, for exactly the reasons that you mentioned.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #38
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
I could see it , if they have DB's rated highest when they pic. We did draft 3 OL last year and 3 WR's the prior year . Maybe we end up with a draft like the 49ers in 1981 1981 San Francisco 49ers Draftees - Pro-Football-Reference.com which by the way led to a SB victory .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #39
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
I would love it and I agree with you that this draft is a good time to address the secondary but I think the chances are low that we draft 3.
Maybe 2 but almost certainly 1.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #40
Meks
Pro Bowl

at least 2.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #41
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Offseason questions: Can the Redskins count on Brandon Meriweather?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #42
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Is there a consensus here on Hall's future with us?

I think we should keep him. I like Hall more and more. Let the punches fly...
Old 02-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #43
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post

If DHall is willing to be true to his word and take a pay cut to remain a Skin, I'm all for it.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #44
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post

My opinion on it all depends on how much of a pay cut he is willing to take. I have always wanted him cut, but that was due to his overall value of play vs pay. I always thought he was overpaid and that we could get two DHalls for the price we were paying him.

He has already said he is willing to restructure. If that restructure is from the approx 7.5 mil down to 5-6 mil, then cut him. Offer 3 mil and if he says yes, then ink it and move on to safety and RT. 4 mil, take a look at available options but might not really be much improvement at that price. Cant see us paying him 5 mil or above though, there is better value at that point imo.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #45
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I've always liked D Hall and been a supporter, but I think its time to move on.

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 02-19-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote