Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Secondary a Primary Concern

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #31
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: Secondary a Primary Concern

^ Yeah, I've heard folks knock Wilson but IMO he's one of our better FA pickups in recent years.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #32
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
^ Yeah, I've heard folks knock Wilson but IMO he's one of our better FA pickups in recent years.
I think his play really came together during the latter half of the season. And I agree, he has been a very good pickup.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #33
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I think he's probably our most consistent cornerback. Definitely not one of those FA pickups we've regretted. Hopefully he stays consistent this year. That was a really good read, thanks for posting.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #34
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Great read. Nice insight into how the position is played at this level.

I like Wilson. I think he is an excellent No.2 corner (like Smoot was in his prime). I just don't see him as a guy who can take on the better WR's in the game by himself. Granted, not a lot of CB's can. I am glad we got him but, to me, he's just a piece - a good piece - of the whole. If we could find another like him, I would be happy. It would be better if we could find one of those CB's who is truly a match-up guy ...

along with a stand-out RT, a ball-hawking safety, a Shady McCoy type running back and a game-breaking WR.

Sorry, I digress.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #35
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
A LOT of Ravens fans in my office were very sad to see him go and thought Washington got a steal. If he shines this year I will agree with them, so far he has been meh to me.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #36
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Before we all get too doom and gloom here, perhaps we should remember that the Pats and Giants both suffered from some poor secondary play last year yet they played in the big dance. I know that this is not simple are there are many factors in play regarding this. But the point remains that a problematic secondary can be overcome.
Here, here let the wisdom of the Lotus be heard. Just as some of us have said RGIII and the WRs can compensate for struggles across the oline, a defensive front seven can compensate for a struggling secondary. I thought of the Giants but the Pats are a good example as well.

And Morris' coaching is a major positive for the secondary. He will find ways to cover up his group's weakness, the question is to what extent...
Old 08-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #37
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Josh Wilson started to come on towards the end of the year, and looked like he had grasped hold of the defense.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #38
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Merriweather looked like trash on Saturday. So many dropped balls in the INT drills, got burnt on coverage drills. Apparently, he plays defense like he drives a car.

Who is #30 in the secondary now? Not listed on the online roster but looked decent.

Tanard Jackson looked great from what I saw. He's going to start for us I predict.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #39
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Merriweather looked like trash on Saturday. So many dropped balls in the INT drills, got burnt on coverage drills. Apparently, he plays defense like he drives a car.

Who is #30 in the secondary now? Not listed on the online roster but looked decent.

Tanard Jackson looked great from what I saw. He's going to start for us I predict.
Hammered?
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #40
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
Who is usually lined up opposite Wilson when Hall is in the slot?
Do you mean in camp?
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #41
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Unless the pass rush can bail them out, it's going to be a real long year in the secondary.
Exactly - see the Giants
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #42
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Josh Wilson started to come on towards the end of the year, and looked like he had grasped hold of the defense.
Yes, Josh Wilson did. I'm hoping he gets pro bowl honors this year.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #43
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

According to Raheem Morris, Kevin Barnes is having a strong camp. Let's hope it translates on the field during games.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #44
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
According to Raheem Morris, Kevin Barnes is having a strong camp. Let's hope it translates on the field during games.
he also stated that Barnes is MUCH better playing outside than playing the nickel like he was last year . . . hopefully that is true as it would be nice if Barnes can be at least adequate . . .
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #45
backrow
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
From John Keim's weekly email

Q&A with Josh Wilson

Wilson is one of the more insightful Redskins, especially when it comes to talking about his position (cornerback). And with the Redskins’ cornerbacks playing a variety of coverages, I thought it would be interesting to talk to him about playing press coverage and off-man coverage and some of the keys involved in both.

Q: Kevin Barnes was talking about Raheem Morris working with you guys, teaching you some new drills. Has he done anything you haven’t seen before?

A: I’ve seen it all. It’s just different options. A lot of guys who haven’t been to other teams like Kevin have never seen a different option. You play with your head up or you play outside. Fortunately or unfortunately I’ve been on three teams with different mindsets. I’ve played for about six different coordinators. I know a lot of different ways of doing it. It’s not about a scheme or coaches. You have to find out what’s best for you. Everybody can teach inside man, but if you’re not a great inside man, you shouldn’t do it. It’s better suited for you to be a head-up outside guy.

Q: I want to talk about press coverage. Sometimes when you see guys up they jam, and sometimes they don’t. Why is that?

A: You got a lot of different things, and you have to be versatile. If you do the same thing every time the receiver doesn’t have to think about what’s going to happen. You got a quick jam sometimes. Quick jams are one hands. Jump jams are two hands. In mirror technique you back off. Sometimes you stay sturdy and get your hands on, but it’s not a quick fire. You have to mix it up like the receivers mix up their release.

Q: When do you know you’re in trouble?

A: When that receiver stacks you, if that receiver is able to cut you off and has you running right behind him. If I’m behind him (to the side) then I can still catch up, but if he goes (over the top) then you’re in trouble.

Q: What’s the key to playing press?

A: Patience. You have to be patient. Don’t open the gate. Don’t get out of there too fast. Let him show the route.

Q: Sounds simple but is it hard to do?

A: That’s why we’re here and a lot of others are home.

Q: When you’re playing off-man, what’s the key?

A: That’s more of a read. You have to read the quarterback to the receiver. That’s a visual, instinctual thing. Press is man-on-man. You’re in off, you have to do a lot of reading, and your reads can get thrown off. You have to get off the quarterback, and there are different keys when you have to get off the quarterback. It’s a lot more detail work. You can get yourself in trouble real quick if [your eyes] linger too long. You hear people say you got your eyes stuck in the backfield. That can get you in trouble.

Q: If you’re playing off-man, how deep can you let the receiver get into you before you open and run?

A: That’s a personal preference. You have to know what speed you have and what route you think he’ll run. You always know your speed. There’s not any one way to tell anyone to do it. You have to be a player and feel when do you need to get out of there. What kind of speed guy is he? Is he running full speed? Do I know this guy well enough to know he’s running full speed? So you have to study your opponents, too.

Q: How quickly can you narrow what route a receiver is going to run?

A: I can narrow down the routes off the first step. As soon as he does his first step, he only has two choices left. In off, you can narrow it down by what the quarterback does and by how many steps he takes. If he takes a three-step drop, it’s quick. If it’s five steps, it’s a little deeper, and if it’s seven, then it’s a real route. Then you get your eyes back on (the receiver) and see what stem he’s giving you.

Q: Sometimes on a jam I’ll see a cornerback use his outside hand to jam a receiver who is taking an outside release. Can that get you in trouble?

A: You can do that. It depends on what position you have him in. If you still have leverage and say he’s (even), then I can get him outside. But if I’m right here (too far inside), and he can get my outside shoulder. … If he gets his hands on that shoulder, he’s gonna have me beat. It’s all about leverage. … Really it’s all about leverage, and a lot of times you want to show him something. You want to show the quarterback something. So I might show you I’m outside and you think I got this inside route where as soon as you throw it I’m diving at that.
Very good read! I'm more confident with R. Morris as a Secondary coach, but still hate the fact that Haslett is the D coordinator. Never liked him! Bring back G.Williams...................oh,.................. ..wait.........................