Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

2012 NFL Draft Day 3

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #31
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Re: 2012 NFL Draft Day 3

I think one interesting thing that could come out of today will be to see how many players we draft that we coached in the senior bowl.

Advertisements
Old 04-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #32
MTK
\m/

The fact that we coached him at the senior bowl says all I need to know. Not only did they do their homework on him, but they've already had a chance to work with him. Give the kid a chance before writing him off. Everyone blasted the Jenkins pick last year, and by the end of the summer everyone was ready to buy his jersey. Time will tell how this works out.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #33
chrisl13
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post
Just a thought: It's really amazing how some people on here wanted the FO to draft an O-lineman, and when we do, the same people who wanted an O-lineman are already bashing the kid when he hasn't even stepped on the field, because "there were better G's available", "He's not as strong or fast as player X", or "he's not the O-lineman I wanted." Leribeus is an underrated, versatile, and an explosive interior lineman ATPOA; he can play LG,C, RG and adds much needed depth, and versatility on the interior O-line. Some scouts gave him a 3rd-4th round grade, others a later round grade, but we also recieved an EXTRA 7th round pick by trading back two spots, and drafted a solid OL. How can the Leribeus pick be a "bad pick" when we needed to fortify the interior of our O-line, and he hasn't yet stepped on the field?
I cosign this.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #34
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
FWIW i read somewhere that shanny and the skins thought leribeus would go in the 3rd or 4th round.
One thing you learn watching the draft over the years, especially in the late rounds, a LOT of teams "reach" for guys that are rated low on draft nick websites. Sometimes its a case of coaches and GM's thinking they're smarter then everyone else (see Gene Smiths 3rd round pick for Jax last night) and other times its because these scouts have more information and more time studying these players then public sources of information and understand how they fit into their system.

In regards to our new Guard hopefully its the latter.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #35
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Anyway how nice of a pick would Kellen Moore be to develop as a backup to RG3?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 04-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #36
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
The fact that we coached him at the senior bowl says all I need to know. Not only did they do their homework on him, but they've already had a chance to work with him. Give the kid a chance before writing him off. Everyone blasted the Jenkins pick last year, and by the end of the summer everyone was ready to buy his jersey. Time will tell how this works out.
Completely agree with your take. They have already worked with the guy so they have a much better understanding of who he is as a player than all of us after watching some game film. I trust the FO and their moves. If we didn't how would you really feel about giving a kings ransom for RG III?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #37
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Thumbs up Re: 2012 NFL Draft Day 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post
Just a thought: It's really amazing how some people on here wanted the FO to draft an O-lineman, and when we do, the same people who wanted an O-lineman are already bashing the kid when he hasn't even stepped on the field, because "there were better G's available", "He's not as strong or fast as player X", or "he's not the O-lineman I wanted." Leribeus is an underrated, versatile, and an explosive interior lineman ATPOA; he can play LG,C, RG and adds much needed depth, and versatility on the interior O-line. Some scouts gave him a 3rd-4th round grade, others a later round grade, but we also recieved an EXTRA 7th round pick by trading back two spots, and drafted a solid OL. How can the Leribeus pick be a "bad pick" when we needed to fortify the interior of our O-line, and he hasn't yet stepped on the field?
I completely agree. The Redskins needed to draft an interior lineman. Lichtensteiger is coming from off of a very, very serious knee injury and hasn't fully recovered, and the Redskins have to have insurance at the left guard position going into the season. Leribeus also played in the zone blocking scheme in the East-West Shrine game and said that he liked the scheme so he's an excellent fit for the what is required of our interior lineman. And as you said, picking up an additional pick by trading back two spots was an intelligent move also.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #38
vallin21
The Starter

I keep hearing some say, "WR is not a need" which is objectively correct, but subjectively speaking slot WR IS a need; what happens if Moss gets injured, released, or unexpectedly declines during the season? Who becomes our Y? Austin, Robinson, Armstrong, Banks? As previuosly mentioned, it will be interesting to see how many South Squad Senior Bowl players we'll select today. Zebrie Sanders, Joe Adams, Brandon Boykin, Phillip Blake, Ben Jones, Chris Rainey, and others all were coached by the coaching staff; and remember early in FA, we tried to sign Eddie Royal in addition to Morgan and Garcon. Eddie Royal is a slot WR/PR, and so is Joe Adams.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #39
theJBexperience
Impact Rookie

Really love that my opinion is welcome here. Why do you think so many Alabama players went early? Because they played well for a winning program. Sure, no names can become stars, but a guy that by all accounts played well for one season in a terrible program doesn't excite me with our third pick. I'm sorry. Yes, there were projections for him going in the third or fourth round, but there were equally as many for him going totally undrafted. From all the draft grades I've read this morning, the consensus was LiRibeus was a reach. That's what upset me. I thought there were starting calibre guys on the board when we picked. I'm bummed we didn't go after them and chose to get a good backup so early. I guess I'm not Warpath worthy. So, I'll save my opinions for ExtremeSkins. Sorry to waste all your time.
theJBexperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #40
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJBexperience View Post
Really love that my opinion is welcome here. Why do you think so many Alabama players went early? Because they played well for a winning program. Sure, no names can become stars, but a guy that by all accounts played well for one season in a terrible program doesn't excite me with our third pick. I'm sorry. Yes, there were projections for him going in the third or fourth round, but there were equally as many for him going totally undrafted. From all the draft grades I've read this morning, the consensus was LiRibeus was a reach. That's what upset me. I thought there were starting calibre guys on the board when we picked. I'm bummed we didn't go after them and chose to get a good backup so early. I guess I'm not Warpath worthy. So, I'll save my opinions for ExtremeSkins. Sorry to waste all your time.
You're welcome to say anything you want, just like anyone else.

Sorry that other opinions aren't welcome to you I guess.

Have fun at ES.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #41
CapitalDefense

Quote:
Hope we get some more recognizable names today. If we don't know a guy, he's probably a reach, right?
Nope, but when he is cut in August and placed on the practice squad what will the homers say?
CapitalDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #42
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Whoa Sarah Walsh is hot.

- FRPLG
Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #43
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalDefense View Post
Nope, but when he is cut in August and placed on the practice squad what will the homers say?
That's not going to happen.

It's got nothing to do with being a homer. It's about giving a guy a chance to actually play before writing him off. What a novel concept huh?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #44
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
That's not going to happen.

It's got nothing to do with being a homer. It's about giving a guy a chance to actually play before writing him off. What a novel concept huh?
I don't know. I mean it's not like we don't have any reason to not be cynical but then again after the success of last years draft the front office should have at least some good will and trust from the fans. Granted not a free pass but at the very least some patience until the end of camp or preseason.

And for the record I'm very happy that they got a linemen instead of another skilled position before the 7th round.

- FRPLG
Old 04-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #45
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Hope we get some more recognizable names today. If we don't know a guy, he's probably a reach, right?
Thank goodness it only takes a 20second google search to confirm the fo made a horrible mistake!